Your Top 4 SOT Novels

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Confessor, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Please post your Top 4 Novels from SOT and give reasons why they are your favorite. Thanks!

2. Kahlan Amnell

Kahlan Amnell Mother Confessor

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    1. Temple of Winds - Love finally comes true for Kahlan & Richard.
    2. Faith of the Fallen - The scene with the sculptar Richard made was amazing.
    3. Stone of Tears - I enjoyed all of the action in this one.
    4. Chainfire - I enjoyed the plot on this one - it was different from past novels.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  3. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    ++Spoilers++

1. Faith of the Fallen
    Great story, one of my favourite books ever. I loved everything, starting with Richard and Cara taking Kahlan away to heal, to Cara learning about the ways of the woods, to Richard's time spent with Nicci. You can really appreciate the quality of Richard's character here. He's in a hopeless situation, which could easily drive him to reckless measures, or just as easily suck all the fight out of him. Instead, he lives on, not to prove Nicci wrong, but because it's the right thing to do. The ending is really fantastic as well. Superbly written.

2. Wizard's First Rule
    I'm re-reading this at the moment. Great book. I love this book because it introduces you to the key characters, but they grow and develop as you read on, helping you to instantly relate to them. You see their traits, good and bad, and you root for them. There's also a lot of activity in this book, with Richard and Denna's time together being my favourite part.

3. Temple of the Winds
    Richard gets his War-Wizard outfit in this one I believe. Important moment, as he establishes himself as Master of the D'Haran empire. I like this installment because of the overwhelming feeling of despair. The plague is loose, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. Drefan is a fascinating character, and it's interesting to see the story develop as he becomes linked with the one in white will betray you in her blood. Another solid ending.

4. Chainfire
    Chainfire makes it into my top 4 as well. From what I've read, a few people are disappointed with this one. I know someone here has commented on the ending in particular, which I will also comment on later on.
    Firstly though, this is similar to a few of the books, in that Richard and Kahlan, once again, find themselves separated. I'm not going to pretend that this particular theme hasn't worn a little thin, because it has, but at least this time it's got an interesting twist to it. No one but Richard can remember her. This leads to a lot of frustration for Richard, and the reader at the same time. It also makes Richard question himself, question whether he did just dream her up. His closest allies plot against him. Themes that are not present until now, add new and interesting elements to the story, and to Richard's character, as he adapts to new challenges.
    Now, the ending, to what is the first part in a mini-trilogy within the series. I don't see the problem with it. In fact, I prefer it over most of the others because it's not the same. The happy ending is not here this time, as the problem has not been solved. Kahlan is still missing. But there is at least hope. They now know what Chainfire is.

Come on July 18th! :D

4. Kahlan Amnell

Kahlan Amnell Mother Confessor

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you right there Richard, I'm anxiously awaiting the next one to see how Kahlan fairs as she regains memories of her former self and whether or not she will like who she once was.

5. Panthera

Panthera Empress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As to introduce myself to this forum, I'll tell you my favourite 4!

I have read 1 to 7, henceforth I can not deicide for chainfire.

I like the first best, because you get the building of characters, the lay of the land and habits of the cultures.

I like Blood of the Fold very much too, because it's like the start of the storyline that keeps up for a few books more. Also the old world will be unfolded.

I Liked Faith of the fallen a lot for it's despair, but eventually get out of it stronger and "better".

Soul of the Fire is also one of my favourites, because of the political games, the Anderith thingie and well-found chimes.

that's my view :)

6. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Excellent, nice to have another SOT fan here. Welcome to TFF :)

7. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Tata ku!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ++Potential Spoilers for those who haven't read all of the books++

1. Wizards First Rule - This book started it all. It introduces my favorite fictional characters of all time. While many have criticized the book for having similar parallels to mythological and other modern fictional stories, there are some events that occur in this book that I've not read or seen anywhere else. I believe this is a truly original work. I had 80 pages left to read of this book before I got to meet Terry at a book signing. Even though I hadn't finished the book yet, what I had read was so interesting and powerful that I had to meet the author in person. I’m glad I did! That was the day that Faith of the Fallen came out. I purchased all of the books in hardcover that day and had the books signed.

2. Faith of the Fallen - This is the first book I've read where I finished it and felt empowered - I wanted to change the world. A very realistic look at the corruption of a society through extremism, and how those who are oppressed can rise up and live a free life of their own. This book was signed with this message from Terry: Life is yours and yours alone. Rise up and live it! Those words gave me the chills after I finished the book. Supposedly this book strongly parallels Ayn Rand’s The Fountain Head, which was the inspiration behind Faith of the Fallen. I definitely plan to read The Fountain Head sometime soon.

3. Phantom - I think I'll pass on explaining this one for now in case there are those who haven't finished it yet.

4. Temple of the Winds - There are romantic and dramatic elements to this book that made it one of the more fun reads for me (the events between Richard and Kahlan towards the end were riveting). I enjoyed the murder-mystery elements and also some of the human issues that were addressed.

I have to also say that I really enjoyed Stone of Tears. Besides it being a strong extension of Wizards First Rule, I thought the whole Palace of the Prophets, Sisters of Light/Dark aspect was really fun, and I also think that Terry has one of the most interesting concepts of Prophecy that I've read.

While I think the entire series is absolutely great, the two books that I think were just merely good and not great are Blood of the Fold and Soul of the Fire. When I say good, I still mean GOOD and not mediocre. They are definitely vital to the entire thread of events.

8. Wizard Warren

Wizard Warren Prophet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    *spoilers*

My four favorites, in order:

Faith of the Fallen -

Really shows why Richard is such a rare person, how no matter what bad situation is he always prevails. He can turn anyone around and open their eyes, and always fines the good in people.

Wizards First Rule -

First in the series, and instant classic. Only reason it scored number two was that Faith was the first book to really 'blow me away' more than WFR did. The meeting of Richard and Kahlan, swords, magic, dragons, really a classic fantasy novel even if it was stand alone. And little Rachel was awesome.

Stone of Tears -

One word: Gratch. I miss him in the later books, he was awesome. I also liked metting the Sisters of Light/Dark and of course Warren and Nathan.

Phantom -

Richard finally gets everyone to beleive him and can start kicking butt again. Was nice to see him get a sword go all 'bringer of death' again, even for only a few minutes. Wicked to see Rachel and Chase again, Rachel's now a little killing machine :). Also cool to see Kahlan's spirt shine through, how's she's a natural fighter and prevailer against all odds, perfect match for Richard. Oh yea, loved the ending (no one will beleive me but since WFR I KNEW that was gonna happen ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  9. Caralina

Caralina New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ah, everyone keeps talking about Phantom.. But it hasn't come to the bookstores where I live yet, and I don't have the opportunity to order a copy either at the moment.

Anyways, here goes!

1) Wizard's First Rule: This is my all time favourite. I have a weird fascination with the Mord-Sith, and Denna is the ultimate one for me (though Cara comes very close). And besides, I've had a fascination with countries like D'Hara under Darken Rahl for a very long time. This book was just the ultimate read for me in every way!

2) Faith of the Fallen: First of all, I love what that statue represents. It resonnates with something inside me, almost making me cry when I read about its unexpected unveiling. Second of all, I've always liked Nicci as a character. That cold distance she has, where only pain can reach her? Yeah, there's some similarities between her and me on that point. And the wonder and confusion she experiences when she sees that the world isn't how she thought it was.. I love it! In my mind, Faith of the Fallen is all about her!

3) Temple of the Winds: Ooh, lots of amazing magic, lots of Mord-Sith (even though its so sad it makes me cry when Raina dies), and a really morbid twisted brother of Richard. All the elements for a good book in my mind.

4) Lets see... how about.. Chainfire! You get to see what Richard's life would be like if Kahlan had never existed. I like that twist of events. And, I also like the ending, where things aren't really resolved at all. Cliffhanger baby!

• Like Like x 1