Your top 3 anti-villains

Discussion in 'General Books' started by NOTADWALF, Apr 12, 2013.

1. NOTADWALF

NOTADWALF New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everybody loves a hero. Most prefer the anti-hero/rebellious types, those with a dark edge or fatal flaw, (my fav was always wolverine growing up).
    But what about the villains. A hero is only as good as the bad guy they're up against, and the best are always the anti-villains.

Those same bad guys, for whatever reason - you just love - and without them the story would suck.

Sometimes they have a cause which on the surface seems fairly moral (x men, Magneto), some have a heart or secret love that redeems them (Tyrion form G O T, or Darth Vader etc), some are clearly mentally ill, (Gollum!), while some are just fun (the joker).
    So whats your top three villains from any written/graphic novel.

Heres mine...

1. Marv from Sin City. Pegged as the hero in Frank Millers classic, but clearly he's anything but as the roles cleverly reversed with the police. He thinks someone killed his Goldie (girl), and he's going to find out who and kill them. One problem. He's forgot to take his pills again and he's a diagonised Psychotic.

2. Gollum LOTR. What would middle earth be without him, he's central to both the hobbit and LOTR. So what if evil as mutated him and given him dual personalities that likes riddles and raw fish....!

3. Vander (GDWTB), Everybodies fav pyromanic killer. You go through the whole book hating him for what he's done, then comes the twist at the end that reveals he's merely in disguise rather then evil. All he can remember before his brainwashing by the uber cult is 80's pop songs. Talk about a living hell lol. (If you havn't read the Toy box yet, you'l have no idea who this is)

Over to you......

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Well, this is certainly a hard one.

• 1) Dracula from Bram Stoker's Dracula: this guy is horrible, clever and strong but an absolutely horrible character. True evil.
    • 2) Mr Croup and Mr Vandermar from Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. They are great characters who are a funny, cool and horrible incarnation of evil: the one doesn't understand that he's evil but takes joy in it, whilst the other is devious and wants to wreak havoc. Seeing as the 4 bikers of the apocalypse in Good Omens aren't really villains.
    • 3) Zandramas from David Eddings' Mallorean: she can't really help herself as she is the Child of Dark and comes to love Ce'Nedra and Belgarion's baby. I think she really plays the side of Evil but shows that evil is not always as it seems. She comes just before 'Zakath.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  3. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    hmmm....
    For me my favourite anti-villains would be:
    1. Gerald Tarrant from C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy. He did unspeakable things of the worst kind of evil to become what he is but never truly lost his soul completely. In the books he toes the line between being honourable and noble, yet evil enough to satisfy the power that grants him his immortality. He's definitely one of those "grey" villains. In some ways he reminds me a lot of Hannibal Lechter from Silence of the Lambs.... a complete monster covered by a shell of distinguished nobility and imbued by a strange sense of honour. Of course he isn't completely insane like Lechter was though.

2. Jamie and Tyrion Lannister from ASoIaF. Two brothers trapped by their family's stupidity and their circumstances into being somewhat villanous, and yet... not.

3. The Lord Ruler from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy: in the first book he is portrayed as being the worst of all people but you find out later that he did what he did for all the right reasons.

4. Matthijs

Matthijs New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1. Does the Patrician from Discworld count? I mean, he is a bad guy (dictator, kills people etc), but still ends up helping Vimes a lot along the way.
    2. I sort of felt sympathetic for the villain in Skyfall, too. Or maybe just sorry for him... (Of course, most people wouldn't say that James Bond was fantasy, so this one might not count either.)
    3. Lucifer in Sandman.