Your First Sword

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Gavaha, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting first choice of blades, Vandral! The start of a true collection, for sure! How are the swords holding up? How long ago did you purchase the set? Have any pictures? Sounds like a fascinating set! I'm not terribly familiar with any Japanese smiths, so I know nothing of who made the set, etc... I'm more into European Swordsmiths here in the states and in Europe/Australia...

-Gregory-

(p.s. I have the same question about the so-called "Nari"... Either sounds like a Yari (Japanese spear, generally with three sides to the blade) or a Naginata (Japanese pole-weapon with large, generally wide katana-like blade)

2. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a Nari is a cross between the two? 3 large katana blades on one polearm? Doesnt seem right to me. I tried looking it up on the web, but I only found a bunch of gardens and some Japanese general... link?

3. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    my first was the standard nina warrior sword that comes with some accessories that you see almost everywhere

4. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lolol... Seems doubtful. I'm guessing a Nari is a typo..! ;)

-Gregory-

5. Gondolin ranger

Gondolin ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the sword of the Witchking was my first sword

6. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My first was a Paul Chen Practical Knightly...not the best balanced sword ever, but tough as hell and you can mess about without actually fearing that it will fall to pieces in your hand...and I'm now saving up for an Atrim or something similar...so it might be a while before I get it! hehe

7. The Wild Turkey

The Wild Turkey Accept no susbstitute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Angus Trim makes some goods swords. So far as I have heard, his are held up as the best in modern swordmaking, and so worth the price. Though Paul Chen's are not to be sneezed at either and are pretty good entry level swords.

My first sword was a cheap Taiwanese knock off of the Highlander katana. It's not even an official reproduction, but in terms of quality, it's not too bad for a wallhanger. It's 440 stainless steel (as any good SLO is), but does have a decent weighting to it and can take some abuse. I haven't put it through any serious testing for fear of breaking it, but for an aesthetic piece that hangs on my wall, I think it's worth the price I paid.

However since then I've become the proud owner of a genuine 1938 kaigunto (A japanese naval officers sword from WWII) valued at around AUD$900. I also purchased not long ago what is purported to be a royal Scottish regiment ceremonial baskethilt sword, but I'm still trying to ascertain whether it's genuine or not (currently waiting for returns on inquiries made on the makers mark on the forte). If so it's in remarkably good condition for a sword possibly dating to the mid 19th century, if the royal crest on it is anything to go by.

*Edited for not paying closer attention to what I'm writing.*

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  8. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just a little FYI, 440 is always stainless steel not carbon. Of course it has carbon in it, but its not classed as carbon steel.

9. The Wild Turkey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did I write carbon steel? Dear Christ in heaven I did! Thanks for picking that up. Next time I'll proof read my posts a little closer. Fixed now.

10. Braznoye

Braznoye Mack the Knife

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine was/is a very odd sword that my friend had in his closet for what must have been at least 5 years; quite a nice patina of grey rust and a battered steel scabbard with the tip broken off. I still don't quite know what kind of sword it is: it has a 3/4" wide blade that's about 30" long with a one-handed grip. Some kid at a Renn faire said it was a replica of a 'colonist's sword', but I have no idea. Still, even though I have two new swords in the mail, I like this one.

11. Braznoye

Braznoye Mack the Knife

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A question: Compromising as it may be to the "newness" of a blade, isn't there something pretty about a patina of rust that's been there so long it's dully shiny?

12. The Wild Turkey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Post some pictures and we might be able to identify it for you.

13. Braznoye

Braznoye Mack the Knife

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should be able to get a camera within the week and take some shots, and thanks for the offer.

14. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    TWT: Tis all good, i thought thats what you were meaning but its all for the good of breaking the myths :)

15. The Lone Swordsman

The Lone Swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I obtained my first two when I was 14, a matching Katana and Wakasashi. My mom's old boyfriend, a martial artist, gave it to me for christmas... and humourously enough, influenced me into sword collecting! ^_^

Unfortuneatly, my first two were purely decorational, so in other words... Both rattle a bit, are unsharpened, and are made of (get this...) some form of Aluminum alloy! >_<. Well, they may not have much value when it comes to functuality, but for me, there sentimental value is through the roof! They look nice and intimidating anyway ^_^, but I would rather use my full tang Katana to handle any bandits or evil garden gnomes who decide to raid my fridge! LOL

Yes and to all those who like to use their swords (or have your buddies do it) for cutting brush and brick walls, thats a horrible thing to do, swords deserve respect! And I can't imagine a greater disrespect to swords! LOL I know I may sound like a fanatic, but as the ancient Samurai believed "The sword is your soul" and your soul is only meant for cutting down enimies, not trees! What did they do to us!?

......well I suppose if they drop apples on you then that can be justified... but use an axe! ^_^

16. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    machetes :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vizion

Vizion Double Tapped

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Me too!! And I got a 2-handed Machete!! :D :D

18. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    lol
    my first sword, which i got a few months ago im jsut lazy about posting about it, is soemthign of a two handed machete. Its a Cold steel grossemesser
    I have pics of it on http://cudgel.yafro.com
    its a moster of sword.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lordmaille

lordmaille Master of the Maille

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My first sword would be a Starfire Swords Light Sword. It is basically a blunt sword that is used for live combat and the like.

20. chaoticblue

chaoticblue New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine was a stainless steel katana with a crappy edge. I ground and sharpened the edge to what it would similarly be for a real katana... boy that took forever! But anyways after that it was useful in cutting down overgrown foliage in the backyard and pruning some branches up to 3". But it's main problem was that it would dull pretty fast cause it's stainless steel... so I resparpened it. It was good though I got to practice all sorts of sharpening techniques.

Search tags for this page

the imperial sword of the samurai by the franklin mint