Your Favourite Post Tolkien Fantasy Book

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Harlequin, May 19, 2008.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Hi ppl,
    What's your favourite book ,or trilogy etc ,of the post Tolkien era and why.
    Obviously if I had not added the last bit 90% would just lump in with The Lord of The Rings.

Mine is the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb.
    Superbly written, Hobb makes Fitzs' orphaned start to the series so beleivable that you are almost instantly dragged into the story. Ideas such as "Forging", are refreshingly different.
    The lack of Orcs ,and any of the Tolkienesque characters ,put a more unique feel to the books and avoid the sort of repetition so often witnessed by other authors.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Farseer is a great series and its definatly near the top of my list = but for true epic fantasy I think --- GRR Martains A Song of Ice and Fire is really the best there is out at the moment. Fantastic writing and a very gritty real and dark world - with an even more realistic lean to it that many fantasy tales don't convey or have.

I think running a close second - or even running alongside - would be The Malazan Book of the Fallen = so similar and yet so different - but very much full of wizardry, monsterest and gods

3. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    I have to say, a Song of Ice and Fire series, as OR said, and an AMAZING series, the Legend of Drizzt. It's absolutely great...amazing.

4. Thea

Thea Dream Chaser/Bookworm

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to agree about Robin Hobb's Farseer/Tawny Man trilogies. It's just about the best series I've read in a while.

5. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay. Or Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle. Both create fabulous fascinating worlds drawn from traditions as rich as the Northern ones Tolkien used.

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams in the Epic Fantasy category.

Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay.

7. Sifra

Sifra Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is Dune post-Tolkien? I don't like Tolkien and I have no idea when his books were written. Dune is definitly my favorite series, with second places for the Empire Trilogy by Raymond Feist/Janny Wurtz and Otherland by Tad Williams.

Nice to see fans of Guy Gavriel Kay. Where I live not many people know him, and all I could get from him was the Fionafar Tapestry but I liked it very much. I'd like to read more of him someday.

Last edited: May 26, 2008