Your Favorite Star Wars Era?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by jim1961, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Star Wars: Favorite Era

1. Sith Era

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Prequel Era

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Classic Era

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. New Republic Era

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. New Jedi Order Era

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Legacy Era

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    *** The Era's defined above are according to the Del Rey book timelines. Dark Horse comic and other printed material may refer to each differently***

As most of you avid Star Wars readers know, the books are divided into 6 eras.

Sith (approx 1000 years before A New Hope)
    Prequel (Years 0-32 years before A New Hope)
    Classic (0-4 years after A New Hope)
    New Republic (6.5-22 years after A New Hope)
    New Jedi Order (25-35 years after A New Hope)
    Legacy (40+ years after A New Hope)

Which of these eras is your favorite based on the written material available in each?
    Are their standout novels/trilogies in any that deserve mention as a favorite?

note: As far as I know, the Sith era has only one book available, so I mention it only for completeness sake.

I like the eras in this order:

1) New Republic (My favorite because it explores Luke coming into his power. Gives the reader a clearer idea about the force and tells of the experiences of those discovering it in themselves for the first time)
    2) Classic (The basis for all the rest)
    3) Prequel (This would be my second favorite era except that I hate the idea of knowing nearly everyone is going to die out and be slaughtered)
    4) Legacy (May surpass prequel as more material presents itself. Like the development of Jacen, Jaina, Ben, ect.)
    5) New Jedi Order (Got tired of the repetitive and ongoing Vong dialogs)

Standouts:

The Thrawn Trilogy
    The Approaching Storm

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  2. DeadBoromir

DeadBoromir REAL AMERICAN PIZZA!

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    My fav is the Galactic Civil War, so I voted for the Classic Era.

Stoormtroopers are just some of the coolest guys in this galaxy!

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    The era of the saga...The only true story...from my point of view. All the other ones are from okay to good except the legacy era...that sucks, which is a pity cause Jan Duursema is my favourite penciller

4. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What about the Legacy era sucks? Im interested in your thoughts.

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    First of all, Imperial Knights? Second, the Sith are completely unoriginal.... They are all ripped off from either Darth Maul or Darth Bane..... Cade Skywalker looks and acts like a complete punk. If they really wanted a pirate, then they should have made him more Han Solo like. The stormtroopers are totally unoriginal. It's just a mixture of the Clone Troopers of Episode II and the Classic Stormtroopers.... I think in over a hundred years, they would've adapted the designs more than that! lol They were simply too scared to come up with something completely original. Lastly, it seems that alot of characters, main ones, are based on previous characters created for the Republic series. Such as the blue and sith twi'leks, who are clearly just attempts at recreating Aayla Secura. There is another character named Blue, which seems to be a reproduction of Khaleen. But these points are understandable. Jan Duursema helped create the legacy background and characters, as well as draw them. So it is clear that she is simply spinning off the characters she loved so much to create in the past, such as Khaleen as I mentioned, Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura etc etc. I just find it totally unoriginal. It can look like Star Wars, and try to act like Star Wars.... But it doesn't FEEL like Star Wars, and that's what is most important.

6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Completely agree with what Anakin just said ;) I voted for the Prequel era as my favourite. Although I ADORE both the prequels and the Classics, if I had to choose, then Prequels it is. I don't like anything that comes after Return of the Jedi, I hate all that stuff, it gets it all so wrong in my opinion.

7. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anakin, while its true that ive only read the first 4 books of the Legacy era (Betrayal, Bloodlines, Tempest, and Exile), many of your references dont make sense to me. While I respect your opinion, it almost seems like your talking about something other than the Legacy era. What imperial knights? Who is Cade Skywalker? And what storm troopers? Who is Blue? Perhaps all these things come into it later in the books I havent read yet?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    yeah I think we are talking about two different series...I'm talking about the Legacy series of Dark Horse.

9. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I voted for the Sith Era because my favorite Star Wars comics are The Golden Age of the Sith,The Fall of the Sith Empire and the Sith War.Amazing comics!The best scenario.

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    It's confusing cause the era you speak of is called "Legacy of the Force" while the series I'm talking about is simply called "Legacy"....that is why the poll is a little confusing. I was beginning to wonder cause you said Legacy took place 40 ABY, while it actually takes place 130 ABY

To me "Legacy of the Force" is still pretty much "The New Jedi Order Era" if you look at which characters are in it...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  11. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad we got this strait cause after reading your earlier post, I was beginning to think my reading comprehension must have taken a nose dive to not remember all the things you spoke of.

For you Anakin, and for those that may read this thread later, I used the symbols at the beginning of the books to name each era. I am not familiar with the Dark Horse printings, and therefore wasnt aware of any confusion caused by my descriptions.

12. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I have had a look through and read most of the Legacy comics that arrived for Anakin, I have to say I hate everything about it. It's just a cycle of old ideas over again. It just becomes boring. They should have tried to make it original, but still gave it the feel of Star Wars.

As I said before, the only valid eras for me are the Prequels and the Classics. Lucas created Star Wars, and I am only interested in his opinion of what goes on around that. I'm not interested in other person's opinions on what went on before and or after, because it is nearly always a far cry from what it should have been. The whole thing with the Empire still having a great grasp of the galaxy after Jedi, is just nonesense. The film ending is shot in a way so that you know everything you need to. Luke will recreate a New Jedi Order, the Empire is DEAD (and no clone Palps on the way either), a New Republic will emerge with Leia having a great part in that. Also, Leia would never have walked the path of a Jedi. If Luke had died during the Classic era, only then would she have been sought out for that purpose, but it is clear her future lay in rebuilding what had been destroyed by Palpatine in politics. And Luke would focus on the Jedi Order.

But when I read some of the things that is supposed to have happened after Jedi, I get belly ache with laughing, it's just unbelievable what some people come up with lol

13. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Padme:

Reading peoples comments about the EU and actually reading the books are entirely two different things.

Although I doubt you will, read "The Thrawn Trilogy" and then tell me this isnt good Star Wars.

14. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I know enough about it, Anakin read it and told me about it. For me it has nothing on the movies. I'm very much a movie aka George Lucas fan. I'm not interested in EU stuff at all.

15. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, the good news for you I suppose is that the era between episode III and IV is one that is to be still explored. Theirs not much written about this era up to this point unless your into Han Solo, Chewy, and Lando Calrissian. Its seems this may be done as a TV thing rather than novels, which is bad news for me since I have no TV.

16. The Storm

The Storm New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't read any of the books yet. But according to the movies, I like the time in which movie II takes place. Nothing before nothing after.

:ufo:

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    You have no tv? That's too bad...sorry...I'm looking forward to the tv series (although it's still a long way) but yeah they won't broadcast it here...with luck I can download the Clone Wars series from the official site....with luck...but I think I'll have to wait until the live action series comes on DVD...

18. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fortunately, most min-series end up on DVD.

19. Raptor

Raptor Velociraptor Mongolinesis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Personally, nothing beats X-wing and Thrawn series...

20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes they can:D