Your Favorite Series?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by cocobirdi, Feb 24, 2008.

1. cocobirdi

cocobirdi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what series would you consder a must-have? obviously, there's Tolkein's books and the Harry Potter series, duh, but what else do you have that you just can't put down?

I've been enjoying all of Robin Hobb's books, from the Assassin - Live Ship - Tawny Man collection to her new Soldier Son trilogy (waiting to get my hands on the last in that series).

Also I've enjoyed Lynn Flewelling's Tamir trilogy, again waiting to get my hands on the last one, too bad her Luck In the Shadows doesn't hold the intensity of the other trilogy.

i've got my hands on a bunch of other books, picked at random from the fantasy section at borders, but i'm open to further suggestions :) i've been going through a lot lately.

2. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The Rigante, Drenai, & Troy series from Gemmell are all great. A Song of Ice and Fire isn't too bad either.

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    hmm must have series?
    can I list all of them?
    heregoes;

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin - this really is one if not the top fantasy writing in modern times - a masaterpiece of work and a wonder to read. An epic fantasy series set in a world so realistic in many way that is becomes beliveable (and it has dragons!)

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson - again this is another top fantasy series which, whilst similar in style of writing to the above is very different in the world and characters. This is not only epic but also high fantasy - with mages, gods, undead, alternate planes of existance and war!

Robin Hobb - the other big name in fantasy these days, her 9 book series (yes I count it all as 1 series) is a long tale of a world and a man (and a wolf!). One thing that I liked (and hated ;)) was that her lead character made mistakes - often big ones - this makes him more realistic than heros who always make the right choice -- yet Hobb does not simply make the choices but also takes us right behind the character to get a look at why he (they) make those choices which adds considerable depth to the character.

Temeraire by Naomi Norvic - a first time writer and off to a brilliant start here. These books are not only great to read, but also add something to the genre of fantasy which is increasingly hard to do these days. With a good grounding in the subject areas within the book these tales of the napolionic wars with dragons read real. Further, the longer the series goes the more that her fantasy world is realised and expanded upon -- this is not a carbon retelling of history with different characters - this is a re-writeing of the past.

4. Wrathen

Wrathen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Overread! I too am reading Temeraire, and while I have some complaints, I think she had really added to the world of fantasy, and I hope her movies do get made, as the rights have been sold.

I am depressed, cuz I don't know if I have much to offer in way of favorite series beyond Potter and Tolkien - I am reading Crown of Thorns but am only on book two, and it is much better than the first. I have read the Wheel of Time, but books six through nine were just such a mess. I'm almost mad book 10 and 11 were so good, because a re-read would require all eleven books to date being re-read!

I am also reading the Wayfarer Redemption but am not all the way through it. Douglass is a great spinner of prose! My other favorite is the Dragonriders of Pern - though they are classified as science fiction, they seem fantasy to me.

5. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    The Legend of Drizzt series, although some would disagree with me. I've stayed up until 4:00 A.M. on a school night before a test reading the series. Also the edgeland chronicles is a great series.

6. Sifra

Sifra Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The original Dune series and the Prelude to Dune series, I loved them. Also I like the Avalon series by Marion Bradley and the Empire trilogy by Raymond Feist. And the Otherland series by Tad Williams.
    In our house, Tolkien is not a must-have. I gave the Tolkien books back to my mother because we don't like them at all. I do have Harry Potter though. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yep, The Legend of Drizzt series of Forgotten Realms is probably one of the best Fantasy series out there. Great set of characters and adventures that'll not allow you to put the book down.

I'm actually going to unsuggest the Song of Ice and Fire series mostly because I believe it's more of a political book parading as a fantasy series.

8. .:solinari:.

.:solinari:. New Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    For me, a must have is the original Dragonlance trilogy, The Chronicles. I've reaad a lot of Dragonlance books and that trilogy has been my favorite so far. I hope that I can get around to reading some other series soon after I graduate and have time to read for my own pleasure instead of reading silly textbooks all day...

9. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Legend of Drizzt is Epic.

i'm rereading it as we speak.

10. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Tolkien: LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion
    Weiss and Hickman: Dragonlance core books (Chronicles, Legends, Summer Flame, 5th Age)
    Asimov: Robots, Empire, Foundation
    Piers Anthony: Xanth
    Beowulf

11. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ASOIAF is the indisputable #1 for me.

After that I'd go from Robin Hobb's Liveship series (or possibly the whole 9 books like OR did).

After... WoT might just nick in for #3.

12. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You found Liveship Traders better than the Farseer and Tawny Man triologies? Lol wtf, how? The only good thing Liveship had going for it was Kennit.

13. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to say that Legacy of the Drow (Forgotten Realms) is one of my favourite series because of the detailed descriptions of all the fight scenes and the overall story line. I am also a huge fan of Dragonlance and my favourite series from that is the Legends trilogies. I really liked the characters as well as the plot.

14. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea, R.A. Salvatore has a great way of writing out the fight scenes. Detailed, but not unecessarily slow, and well flowing.

15. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    If anything, Kennit was my least favourite character. Nah, I loved the drawn-out Vestrit family drama, it was great! Plus I liked the ships, and the endless piracy. Admittedly, the sequences with the serpents were pretty annoying but Liveships is still my favourite of the trilogies.

16. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Wha!! you hated the serpents and Kennit!
    If anything I liked those parts the best in some ways!
    The most annoying thing for me was that Hobb set up our heroin in the early stages of the book - and then sort of dumped her for the rest of the book. Though I do like the changes that Wintrow and Malta went through, but (can't spell name) seemed to get a little smaller and less wild by the end of hte book --

17. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I didn't hate Kennit, just didn't find him all that convincing as a character. I don't know why, generally I rather like the budding megalomaniacs ;). The serpents were probably necessary but still pretty boring IMO.

Althea? Yeah, I guess she did. She still managed to defy a few stereotypes and end up as a sailor though, which wasn't bad. I really liked the way Malta and Wintrow grew up too, one of the best aspects of the books for me.

18. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    ahh but the core of the Kennit character is that he is not quiet right ;)
    And I like the differece you saw between his actoins to those around him and the way he interpreted or intended those actions to be.

Also - I like the serpents - and will be interested to read the newest book she is writing!

19. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Me too, I was very disappointed by the 'Soldier Son' series; I want to see her back in the world of the Six Duchies!

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Lol, the only ship I liked was Paragon because he killed all his crews rofl. The serpents sucked, Fitz dodged their nubness lawl

Kennit was a great villain. Probably the only one with real character.