Your favorite/least favorite part(s) *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Books' started by World builder 316, Jul 20, 2005.

1. World builder 316

World builder 316 Ceasar of the Hobos

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Okay. I went camping over the weekend, so I had a lot of time to read, reread, and think about the sixth story.

My favorite thing about this story is that Dumbledore is killed. I know, you're thinking I am an ass or something very close to that, but listen. If Dumbledore had lived, the next book would have Harry returning to Hogwarts, Dumbledore standing over him, guiding him, protecting him. Now that he's gone, Harry is forced to realize noone is untouchable, giving him that much more determination. It strengthened him for the final battle, which draws ever closer.
    And for J. K. Rowling, it shows that she is a true writer, following her vision of how it should go, no matter what. She caught a lot of flack for killing of Sirius, and she could have changed the whole story around, leaving Dumbledore alive, pleaseing the people. But, it shows that she has matured from a woman writing on napkins in a coffee house to one of the greatest writers of our time.

Now, for my least favorite part: Dumbledore DIED!!! I know it was my favorite, but he was my favorite character.

2. Lillith Forbid

Lillith Forbid Returned Queen of Bondage

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    aha! Love what you just said World

Okay, My favorite part of the whole book wa where Malfoy was crying in the girls bathroom with Myrtle or when he and dumbldore where arguing. It shows a much softer side to Malfoy and not such a snobbish git. My other favorite part was when they visited Wealey's Wizard Wheezes. Love it ^_^!

My least favorite was when dumbldore died. I mean.. Snap betrayed them but...Dumbledore had to plead with him. That was the last scene of his life. Pleading with a snake like snape!! grr-ness

3. spectre

spectre New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I completly agree with both you.
    If Dumbledore had lived he would still be guiding Harry into the next book, now that he is possibly dead it gives harry the right to venture out on his own..

The reason i say that he is possibly dead is that dumbledore begged snape to kill him.. i dont see him begging to a death eater. possibly snape and him switched with the polyjuice..its wierd but what isnt about these books.

4. vanaques

vanaques New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think they swiched by means of pollijuise potion, BUT it could have been planed that snape was to kill dumbledore becaus (as said) harry wouldn't have found his own path and would still be guided by dumbledore.

5. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    i think that dumbledore was asking snape to kill him and tha tis why he was so upset about harry callung him a coward... think about it what would be the thing that would take the most couage?? i defiately think that dumbledore knew he was dying so he asked snape to kill him....

6. Lillith Forbid

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    true...fair points

7. spectre

spectre New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats true.
    i mean with all the stuff that he suspects harry has called him why would he react the way he did when he was called a coward which is by far the nicest thing said about him...

also.. when snape was toying with harry why did he leave him there, why didnt he stupefy him and take him back to lord voldy...

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Best part... hmmm...

Don't ask me why, but I liked the funeral very much. I think it's the best written chapter in the book.

Worst part...

I think worst part is that 1/3rd of the book is dedicated to an extended prologue; around page 200, Harry is on the Hogwarts Express... I think there could have been more story about the school year, shifting the balance a bit more towards Hogwarts. 200 pages really was too long.

hmmm... I think not! ;)

http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showpost.php?p=281245&postcount=10

In that entry I think I found the reason why Snape killed Dumbledore.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  9. World builder 316

World builder 316 Ceasar of the Hobos

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I was hoping you all wouldn't hate me for that...

10. Lillith Forbid

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    why would we hate you? Its your opinion and a very good one at that ^_^

11. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ^^yeah i totally agree!!

12. Miarènne

Miarènne Lady Evenstar,half-elven

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True, much of the story is indeed quite an extended prologue. We see Harry on the Hogwarts Express much later than we usually do.; and yes, there is not much detail on the rest of the school year. The book has stuck to more important (to the readers or to Harry) events. One good thing about the book though. J.K. Rowling kept it running this time. I mean, there was hardly a pause in the flow of the story. Whether it was about the tenagers' love lives, or Harry's obsession that Malfoy was up to something (which incidentally, turned out to be correct), or Harry's "lessons" with Dumbledore, the reader does not have much chance to "pause and reflect" or much time to really think about what has happened. Each incident just makes you want to go on reading.

Personally, i had the familiar feeling that i wanted to go on reading and get to the climax, the ending; and yet, i did not want the book to end. Closong a book after you've read the ending is always sad, sad ending or happy.

Anyway, I can't really say whether I like Dumbledore's death. I mean, it does awaken Harry to the cruel truth that he must stand on his own and face Voldemort, that he was always going to be alone. The last chapter is the best chapter in the book despite the sadness in it.
    And I really pitied Malfoy when I read that it was he who was crying in the toilet. After all, did he really want to kill Dumbledore? He wasn't able to do it in the end. He was just as scared of Voldemort as everybody else. Like Dumbledore said, Voldemort never really did care for his followers. They couild all die serving him and he wouldn't even wince.
    Draco was just another victim, that's all.

Okay, I really liked the end of chapter twenty-four: Sectumsempra, when Harry and Ginny finally got together (predictable, huh?) and chapter thirty: The White Tomb. I don;t think there is a chapter I don't like (not this time anyway, last time I hated the long one all about "Grawp").

P.S. forgive me, I tend to overdo some things concerning Harry Potter (and LOTR). :)

13. Linkk06

Linkk06 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Dumbledore begged Snape to kill him!?!?!?! I thought Dumbledore was begging Snape not to kill him!!!! Like "Severus............ Severus please (don't do it)........" and he was just too weak to get all the words out. I just can't see Dumbledore begging Snape to kill him....... I never even thought of that.

Least favorite: practically the whole thing. It was boring and a very sorry sequel to OotP which was exciting and suspenseful.

Favorite: Draco crying in the girls bathroom. It made him seem like he was actually a real person and it made me want to laugh because it's so hard to see Malfoy crying. Maybe there's hope for him yet.

14. Tillybud

Tillybud New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My favourite part was Weasleys Wizard Wheezes probably because Fred and George are my favourite characters. I missed them not being at school, think that was a great opportunity missed for Ron to get some serious fun taken out of him when he was seeing Lavendar Brown.

My worst part was when Harry had to make Dumbledore drink the liquid out of the cauldron/whatever it was so that they could get their hands on the locket. Don't think I would have been strong enough to make Dumbledore drink it all while he was in such a state.

15. Countess

Countess Sereg'wethrin

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The worst part for me was when Sirius died :(
    Best part when Voldemort rose again.

16. Lanfear

Lanfear Daughter of the night

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The worst part for me was when Sirius died...And i don't have a fav part...Or i can't remember