Your fave historical era of conflict

Discussion in 'Polls' started by azuren82, Mar 11, 2008.

?

Your fave age of conflict

1. Three Kingdoms era (China)

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Sengoku era (Japan)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Bakumatsu period (Japan)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. World War I/II

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  5. The Crusades (Europe/Middle East)

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  6. Others (pleaes specify)

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Funny thing is, I focus alot on ww2 western front, but most of my family that was in the war was on a navy ship in the pacific. You should hear some of the stories my g.uncle told me about how they had to lay completely still so submarines wouldnt catch there signal. had to crap were they and everything.

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I am still of the opinion that the second world war ended with the capitulation of the German empire. At that, it stopped being the war on the massive scale with the many fronts it had. Sure, there was the war in the west passifc, but that was just one front. By that time, peace had come to Europe and Africa.

And Japan never stood a chance since America was able to focus on just one front. Japan has a tradition of not giving in, though, so that still lasted a bit. Shame how it ended, though...

However, my favourite historical era of war should be the Renaissance period. A lot of funny stuff happened, especially in Italy.

3. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Napoleanic wars.

4. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    WW2 and Crusades, mainly because I like "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Enemy at the Gates".

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I certainly understand the world wars better than any others, but I'm becoming increasingly interested in early medieval conflict, everything from Attila to the Norman Conquest.

6. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I have to admit though I love history generally,I'm not that interested in the early period of the middle-ages but mostly the mid-period and the latter period with all the Crusades,wars in Europe and the Turks attacking the world.

As for WWII I'm mostly interested in the Eastern Front and especially from the time when the Germans passed to defense and did their best to stop the Soviets.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I too have been greatly interested in the era of crusades. Not only because of the wars in the Holy Land, but other details such as they mystery around the Templars. I've seen quite some interesting docs about them. About the Holy Grail, that sparks my interest. It's interesting to learn to difference between myth and what is presumed to be reality. Recently I saw a doc about the 'Da Vinci Code' that explained a lot for what was fiction and reality. Quite interesting. Of course other parts of the crusades played a part why I voted for it, even just the game 'Assassin's Creed' lol. I quite like it because it is very historically accurate.

8. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I have many books about the Crusades and I also have a book about the Templars and the Knight's of Saint John.

But what I like so much is that I have the story of the Crusades from 3 different points of view:

1.Alexiad,the chronicle of Anna Komnini the daughter of the Emperor Alexius I of the Byzantium talks about the First Crusade from the perspective of the Greeks(Anna herself saw the Crusaders in the palace and describes some really interesting stuff about their manners,their way of life and their looks)
    2.Rene Grouse's "History of the Crusades" book talks about all of the Crusades from the perspective of the French.
    3.Amir Maalouf's "The Crusades from the point of view of the Arabs" talks about the Crusades as they were seen by the Arabs.

One amazing thing was that when I was reading the "History of the Crusades" book the summer when I bought it and I was so excited about the Crusades and all that...about a month or two later Stronghold Crusader came out! :D

Anyway the point of views were different that's why it was so exciting:

Anna Komnini describes the Western Crusades(she calls them Kelts or Franks)as war-loving barbarians with rude manners and greedy nature.

For the whole of the West and all the barbarian tribes which dwell between the further side of the Adriatic and the pillars of Heracles, had all migrated in a body and were marching into Asia through the intervening Europe, and were making the journey with all their household.

Rene Grouse on the other hand gives a far more "romantic" view of the Crusades by making you see the Franks and Germans as heroes and honorable men.He describes the Turks and Arabs as uncivilized heathens and the Byzantines as an obstacle to the Franks' plans either siding up with the muslims or with the Crusaders.

Amin Maalouf on the other hand quotes many of the Arab chroniclers and describes the Western Crusaders as foul and barbarian war-loving people and talks about the far more civilized Arabs who were far more advanced in matters of medicine,sciences and arts than the Crusaders were.

9. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    why isn't there a "Flake Wars" option? :D

10. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    The WW's, Crusades, and alot of Civil Wars...mostly the American but any will do

11. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    The Viking era was an age of conflict in my opinion. A pretty awsome one at that.

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well I wouldn't include the Viking era in such a poll nor the Chinese or Japanese wars but I would include the Napoleontian Wars,the cold war era and perhaps...some other major conflict...

Isn't it funny that Hitler did exactly the same mistake Napoleon did about 130 years earlier?

13. warrior_squirrel21

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Yep. Thats why if the U.S. ever invades Russia, we should send in the eskimos during the winter, and the others during the summer fall and spring. Actually, with the cold we get here, I think Tennesseeans could handle it lol.

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Good idea!;)

P.S.With spears and huskeys though ok?

15. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    The Dark Ages

16. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    don't underestimate the huskies...plus we'd provide them with standard gear and nukes

17. warrior_squirrel21

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    nuclear suicide huskies lol. thats horrible. lol

18. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
  19. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    If you ever do that,I'll call Greenpeace.Shouldn't Greenpeace have an army already?They could own a huge piece of land by now.Something like the Cobra Island.Where they train their invincible vegeterian eco-army.

20. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I am absolutely entranced with Jacobite history and conflicts, especially the '45 where Charles Stuart made attempt to regain the English and Scottish thrones. I find clan wars, English/Scottish conflict, Catholic/Protestant conflicts, and the clans as a whole to be terribly intricate and fascinating.