Your claim to fame.

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Lego, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I got this idea from another forum, basically what is your claim to fame? Have you been apart of something big, been a part of history? It doesn't even have to be you, it could be someone you are related too?

I'll go first, I'm not too sure about my ancestry, but I do know that Julian McMahon the star of Nip Tuck is a relation of mine of some sort, something like second cousins second cousin or something like that.

Nottingham Castle has several statues outside of it, one of which is a statue of my great grandfather.

And a few years ago after doing some research I discovered that my great uncle went down with the ill fated Titanic.

2. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    I already have fame :p

3. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Don't spam lol, Seriously think of something.

4. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
  5. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that is a claim to fame, so he's a big name in your area then? What was his name?

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Valentin Silamikelis. (as you see we have same Surname, all Silamikelis in Latvia is related to me )
    He is a well known person.

7. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! My great grandfather got his statue, because he owned a local business or something like that.

My great uncle who died on the Titanic is only famous within my family, but he was part of one of the biggest events that shook the world.

8. Killbot608

Killbot608 prototype killing machine

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    i apparently have legendary status at a university because my student teacher keeps telling her friends about my awesome acting and death metal roar... i'm also very highly regarded by most people i've met for being generally awesome (it sounds very big headed i know...) and there's other stuff like i've never smoked anything or been drunk or had sex or other stuff im not gonna mention... oh, and i was in a local newspaper for winning a competition but other than that i've forged my rep on my gifts and insanely deep space marine vocal chords.

9. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna translate that as in you act and sing?

10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    And my Aunt was very well know Chemist in Latvia too. And i just asked my mom, and my Grandmothers father (was well know Painter in Latvia)

11. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I've gotten my name published in a couple archaeology books for my help in digs, in North America as well as a dig in Israel at Hippos-Sussita.

My great-grandfather and several of my great-aunts and uncles participated in both WWI and WWII. They were part of the famous Fighting 10th of the Canadian forces. If you've ever seen the movie Passchendaele...one of them died in that battle. My great-grandpa was stationed in Russia.

Other than that....I don't have that much of an interesting background, or at least that I can talk about. Though, I'm in the field of Near Eastern Archaeology, and in the future you may find some articles or even books written by me ;) And one day, my fantasy novels will be published, so look out for that.

12. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I just remembered my grandfathers brother was a paratrooper in WW2 he parachuted behind enemy lines the day before D-Day.

My own fame is probably the stuff I have done in Theatre. I have taken part in three professional productions on a professional stage.

13. Killbot608

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    i act, i used to sing. i'm also known for other random talents no one can figure out.

14. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Ah well we share talents then :D

15. Killbot608

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  16. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Was just talking to my Dad about my great uncle who died on the Titanic, and he told me a little more, his name was Martin McMahon, he boarded the ship at Queenstown and paid 6 pounds for his ticket, he was apparently traveling with friends, including a bunch of females, who bunked together, according to what my Dad knows Martin was engaged to one of the women, and on the night of the sinking, obviously being in third class they didn't stand much of a chance. But it seems like the females of the group made it into the lifeboats, all accept this one who was engaged to my great uncle, apparently she refused to leave him and gave up her space in a boat to another woman, claiming that she would take the next one, but clearly that never happened, and they were both last seen standing on deck. Their bodies if they were discovered were never identified.

Sad thing was, my great uncle had a job and home waiting for him in New York, not only that but his mother back home in Limerick City was never given any kind of compensation, but was sent a letter from the white star line which had the cheek to claim that the shipping line takes no responsibility for any losses whilst at sea.

Could you imagine if they tried pulling that sort of thing today!

17. Killbot608

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    "pull out the 9, pop in the clip and let one slip into those crazy fools" bitchin song, totally what i'd be doing in that situation

18. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I know, makes you glad we live in a modern age where this thing rarely occurs, though they said that then.

19. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My bloodline goes back to the banner bearer of William the Conqueror. Up until the time of Cromwell all my ancestors were either married to English royalty or were powerful nobles. After Cromwell most of them seem to disappear from the records, having either been imprisoned, executed, or fled into exile. By rights I should be living in Buckingham Palace ordering courtiers to peel me a grape, but unfortunately history has a way of bringing even the mightiest down low. I shall just have to content myself with having a nice cup of cocoa instead.:D

20. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Mmm cocoa.

My family's been in Canada for generations now, since the 1800s, and they were unfortunately not big on the storytelling or passing on the knowledge - so I honestly can't name any ancestors past my great-great-[and mayyybe another great squeezed in]-grandparents. I've tried...I interrogated most of my living, older relatives...they don't know either. The newest to North America was my great-grandma, who came over from Russia (and apparently I look just like her). All I need to know is that I got the better of the Scandinavian/Russian/Scottish/Irish blood in me, 'cause I can hold my drink ;) Especially vodka.