Your 3 most missed characters

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by jim1961, Jun 10, 2007.

?

3 most missed characters?

1. Anakin Solo

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Chewbacca

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Count Dooku

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Darth Maul

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Darth Sidious

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Darth Vader

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. Jango Fett

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  8. Jabba The Hutt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mace Windu

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  10. Obi-Wan Kenobe

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. Yoda

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree completely! Qui-Gon was different. But this is explained partially in that he believed more in the Living Force, than the Unified Force.

"The Unifying Force essentially embraces space and time in its entirety. The Living Force deals with the directly ongoing niches present in the Force and compassion to living things."

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah exactly, also, it is clear that if Qui-Gon had lived and taught Anakin, he would never have fallen to the Dark Side, hence why Qui-Gon's death is played so dramatically. Qui-Gon would have always supported Anakin and encouraged him in the way that was neccessary, but Obi-Wan was more conservative than his Master. Which caused problems with having a rebellious Apprentice also. Although, if Qui-Gon had survived then perhaps Anakin would never have been able to bring balance, so it was just meant to be ;)

3. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Obi-wan always supported Anakin as well, but not in the same way Qui-Gon would have. Obi-Wan wasnt fully trained, and although embraced as a master, Qui-Gon pointed out that he was deficient in his knowledge of the Living Force. In fact, although not specifiically said, most Jedi of the time seemed shy in the Living Force, with the exception of Yoda.

4. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's true, also, what was cleverly highlighted in Episode I was Anakin witnessing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan argueing about him. "The boy's dangerous, they all sense it, why can't you?", of course the reason Qui-Gon couldn't sense it is because he would not be alive to witness what Anakin would end up doing. But the point is, Anakin as a little boy, saw this tension over him between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Knowing that Obi-Wan didn't like him being around. Although they became friends, it was the foundation of their relationship, this tension. And as you said, Obi-Wan did become a Master too soon, he was not able to help Anakin in the way he should have.

Afterall, Anakin should in a way never been trained. He was too old, had attachments, and also the fact that he had been a slave, also made him become more of a snob once he was a Jedi.

5. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The fact is, no one could have helped Anakin after Qui-Gon's death in the way he needed except Yoda. And Yoda had too many things on his plate, and was too old to take on Anakin as a apprentice.

6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, also, in later years Obi-Wan became too lenient with Anakin. He was well aware there was something going on between Anakin and Padmé, it was his responsibility to report that and help do something about it. But he allowed it to continue, again, in the end, all of the actions result in good aka the death of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. But if you analyse things on their own for what they are, you see the many flaw that Obi-Wan made as a Master. Even when Anakin was burning, his fatal mistake was walking away and leaving him alive. He should have killed him and ended it there, but the truth was in fact, he was too attached also.

7. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Obi-Wan was over his head in trying to train Anakin, plain and simple.

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, but at the end of the day, it was neccessary for everything to work out. So much tragedy had to be suffered for the greater good in the end.... C'est la vie.... lol

9. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I realize that writers are in love with the idea that suffering leads to salvation, but I do not think this cliche needs to be the centerpiece in every story.

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    It is cliché but star wars can get away with it lol

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well Star Wars centers always around the theme of "The Hero's Journey", Luke being the perfect example, and also Anakin although he's more of the Anti-hero, fallen angel who is later redeemed. I do like this in Star Wars, I always have. Based on old myths that have been popular in human storytelling for thousands of years, even existing in the Bible.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    The thing that EU lacks often is what Padmé just summed up. Although I like EU a lot more than her, that's for sure. But those myths those ancient story-telling are often gone or are just being repeated in the stories I read of EU. Probably the only EU story Padmé showed some interest in was Shadows of the Empire, cause it is based on a lot of ideas of George Lucas...which I actually didn't know when I first read it. But she explained to me Dash Rendar is actually invented by George Lucas in case Harrison Ford had to be replaced in Empire. He was to become a second kind of Han Solo which is actually true if you look at his characteristics and another example, his ship the Outrider which is almost the same model as the Millenium Falcon, only also heavily changed.

13. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The hero and anti hero are important, and certainly Star Wars fans have come to expect it. But it gets boring after a while if its always the same hero and same antihero. Sideous, Vader, and the Empire had to go at some point. You couldnt possibly write 100 books about Luke and Vader and keep it interesting. Understandably, new hero's and such take getting used to. Although Luke is still very important in the EU, other characters have risen to hero statis at different times. Also the villiains are not always individuals, but often times a whole race or culture (i.e. Ssi-ruuk, Yevetha, Yuuzhan Vong)

A lot of what I hear Padme saying is basically that she doesnt like the new heros and villians as much as the old ones, or in her case, perhaps not at all.

14. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I just find the later stories, as I said, as trying to be Star Wars rather than actually being a part of it. George Lucas knows what Star Wars is, and when he creates something in that universe, it feels right, because afterall, it's his baby, he should know. I do like Shadows of the Empire as Anakin said, but that is because it is widely based on George Lucas' idea.

15. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You might like "The Bounty Hunter Wars" if you like "Shadows of the Empire"

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Believe me, I've known her for 4 years, you aint ever going to convince her to get interested in the EU of Star Wars. It was a breakthrough for me to get her interested in the Clone Wars stories! :D And especially, don't claim Boba Fett is alive! You will get attack for sure! lol As I did the first day I met her. We met as enemies concerning that topic and now we're about to be married :D Can you beat that eh? lol

17. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like Luke and Mara Jade......just kidding.

18. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    More actually like Han and Leia, provoking and pretending to dislike each other in the beginning but finally giving in to it lol Only took I think a few weeks before we were in love, but took a while to admit it lol

19. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Chewbacha, mace, and yoda.

20. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Taking a moment to address the poll results, I find Obi-Wan's poor showing so far surprising. While Yoda and Mace leading the pack isnt surprising.