Young Anakin in ROTJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Aragorn Elessar, May 18, 2004.

1. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There's a pic from Ain't it Cool News that shows the shot where Luke sees the ghosts of Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin. There's been long rumors that Lucas was going to change the Anakin from Sabestian Shaw to Hayden Christensen. AICN claims this picture is legit. It shows Hayden as Anakin, next to the old Yoda and Obi-wan... this makes no sense, and I don't buy any of that "he turned to the Dark Side when he was young" thing.

I'm a bit skeptical about the legitimacy of the pic, but here it is anyway, in case "vanishes" later on from the site.

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  2. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well is makes sense that he would be that young as a ghost since he was around 21 when turned to the dark side. And he never was truly on the light side.

3. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Im glad I bought the "One Last Time" VHS editions

4. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It makes sense, but I'm not sure if it should matter at what age he turned to the darkside...because it is still the Force either way just different sides. I honestly hope that Lucas will keep Sebastian Shaw in the ending scene because it will mark the progression of time and keep with the image of Anakin that Luke has/knows.

That, and I'm really into keeping things that are original...ORIGINAL.

5. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I really don't buy that "he was young when he turned" talk... and like Strider said it, he never was really "Light."

And to think about it more, it makes more sense for the ghost to be the old Anakin, not just because of the passage of time, but because after all the ups and downs, and Luke "saving" him, Anakin should be more wise. And all that Hayden's Anakin reminds me of is the reckless, angry, young, out of control jedi.

And if his flesh body still aged in the armour, then why would it be the young ghost afterwards? And really, Luke would be looking at his dad that is actually younger than him... instead of a feeling of resolution, he and the audience would feel instead "What the...!" Talk about being awkward

6. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    DONT SCREW UP A MASTERPIECE LUCAS!!!! What is he doing? sheesh! I loved the new special effects in the Original Re-releases, but if this is on the star wars DVDs Lucas Film will be hearing from me!

7. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah that makes sense...the only time Anakin was truly on the Light side was after Luke saved him...he finally became who everyone thought he would be in the beginning

8. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Stupid stupid stupid. As mentioned, a change for change's sake. Stupid stupid stupid.....

9. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This is from TheForce.Net (link):

There's been plenty of talk this week about just what will be on those Special Edition DVDs this September from Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox. Will they be the re-released versions of the original films or have there been even more changes?

Our sources tell us that there have been lots of changes to A New Hope, including some tinkering with the Han/Greedo scene. This is also the film with the most significant changes. The Emperor has been replaced with prequel actor Ian McDiarmid in ESB and Hayden Christensen does indeed appear in the final cut of Return of the Jedi. The explanation of his young appearance as a spirit is revealed in Episode III, as (spoiler) the years in the Dark Side don't age the Jedi's spirit form.

We caution you that these are rumors and even this report should be met with some skepticism and prayer that they'll just quit messing with these movies. According to these people though, THESE are the rumored Archival Editions fans were expecting in the future.

So our hope is that maybe the 2006/7 DVD version of the film will be the originals in all of their glory?

10. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm well, I know that is probably going to get bashed majorly but I'm going to save judgement until I actually see it. Things have the tendancy to be worked up about for and it really isn't that bad.

11. Pallaeon

Pallaeon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with Strider, though it looks kind of crazy/stupid now; it might not be as bad with proper explaination in Episode 3. I guess I'll have to see it to believe it.

12. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How can you say that he was never truly on the light side of the force... I mean, hey, he did have good intentions at one point, and even though his mother's death did kinda become the starting point in his path to the darkside, he was still good-hearted and true to the purposes of the jedi, even if Obi-Wan did have to scold him and put him on the correct path again. It isn't until he kills Assaj Ventress with her saber at the Massassi temple that he truly feels the power of the darkside for the first time, and his path to the Sith begins.

Anyways, Im getting off topic (hehe), I dont have a lot against Young Anakin in the DVD Edition of RotJ, cuz if you wanna see Sebastian Shaw, watch the originals or the SE's. Im am, however, going to give GL much merit :banana: for his decision to use Ian McDiarmad for Emperor Palpy in Empire Strikes Back, effectively replacing that crummy guy who played him before. That loser sounded like what Palpy would sound like after being castrated and given an enema at the same time !!

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  13. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well that's the problem, 'coz there're no official DVDs with the Original Trilogy or the "original" SE's. I'm not in the camp of the original lovers, partly because I wasn't even born till 1980 and what I really remember seeing are the SE's 'coz when I saw the Originals, I was either too young to remember much, or they were on TV, and that's never a great place to watch a movie, what with the commercials and scan and pan and all. So I'm not against Lucas making up for Special Effects (please can he just fix the lightsabers? Of all things?)

But I just don't by any of the logic, and the decision, to use the young Anakin to replace the older, wiser, experienced Anakin, regardless of who the actor is (or was). And if this "the years in the Dark Side don't age the Jedi's spirit form" sounds even less reasonable than the "he was on the Light Side before he turned to the Dark Side (duh), and he was young when he turned" thing. If we're to believe that years in the Dark doesn't age the Jedi's spirit form, it would have to mean that mentally said Jedi would have gained nothing, experienced nothing, didn't get any wiser, or more experienced, etc, because if the Jedi's spirit just get stuck at that certain age, while his mind and spirit went on... god I'm not even going to try to explain/critique this idea, 'cuz it's just plain stupid and makes absolutely no sense... my head hurts...

However I do agree with Curufeanor, on the agreement that it was a good idea to have McDiarmad play the Emperor in ESB, which in this case, he's playing his older self, replacing someone else who's playing that same character, and that he actually did played said character in the movie after that, in ROTJ.

On a side note though, I think it was actually an old woman who played the Emperor in ESB, not a man, forgot where I read/heard/watched that though. And for both ESB and ROTJ the Emperor's voice was done with a voice over from another guy.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  14. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    First off, Anakin might have not really looked THAT old, had he not went to the darkside, as he would look more like late-30's to mid-40's. Plus, since a Jedi has to keep in good shape, Anakin's true good self (the Jedi reflection of himself) will actually look rather young and full of life than the old geezer seen in RotJ. That is not what a 47-year-old man in top-physical condition looks like, period.

Secondly, I was only referring to the VHS version(s) of ESB, as I know very well that there is no original trilogy SW on DVD, although I might add that the DVD version may come with both of the older versions of each film on disc 2, as a sort of special feature... Who knows ?

I also agree with the 'King' on the sab'z tho, I mean, dammit... Can't they fix that little problem with Obi's saber in ANH ? You know, when the thing goes transparent, and you can see the cattle prod thing they used for props ? I also think that the Vader/Obi duel should be more acrobatic, cuz Yoda's still pretty old and frail in Ep 2, but he was flying around like a spider monkey on acid. Besides, Obi's still got it, so I hope they did a few CG sequences of Alec doing the Ewan on Vader, and Vader doing the Dooku, you know what I mean ? And the same with all the other duels. And for the love of God, FIX THOSE SABERS !!! As for "behind-the-scenes" on the special features disc, I say lets get some behind-the-scenes of how Carrie Fisher gets into that metal bikini and if there IS ANY panties or not underneath that "lil'-skimpy-metal-thing with that tiny-shred-of-cloth thing" Jabba gave her (and she was only 17 at the time, Jabba. You naughty slug, you...).

And it was some British pansy named Clive Revill who did the voice of Palpatine in ESB, a voice actor who also has credit for the voice of Thorin in the 1979 Hobbit cartoon. On the Official Website, it didn't say who the hologram's actor was though... wierd... :rolleyes: But anyways, ol' Clive sounds like a Brit sissy compared to Ian. Also, after a lot of researching through a bunch of websearches, I'm about half-assed thinking that it is assistant make-up artist Kay Freeborn who does the holo-Palpy in ESB, cuz if you look at the production photos, in particular the middle one, you can almost make out the same head shape, although, I'd have to say that this is purely my speculation.
    Oh, and sorry about being off topic again, hehe...

15. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Oh hell no. Please don't touch/ruin them any more than they already have been!

Yoda is a little froggy-type creature with strong legs. Dooku was filmed in an age where digital effects and fast action are expected.

And as much as I love energetic fight scenes, I actually like watching the old Star Wars original, because that's how Ep4 should be. It's how I grew up with it being, and I wouldn't want to see a digital Alec Guiness doing backflips.

That said, bring on the Obi vs Darth fight in Ep3, whch is supposedly going to make Obi vs Darth Maul look like 2 old ladies fighting with their handbags......

16. Elven Angel

Elven Angel New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In ep3, will it actually be Obi Wan vs. Vader or Obi Wan vs. Anakin?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It will be Obi-Wan vs Anakin. Anakin doesn't become Vader until after he was defeated and needs the armor to support him

18. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    exactly, cuz Palpatine convinces Anakin that the Jedi are traitors, and when he battles Obi, he loses his legs and his other natural arm, and falls into a volcano or something like that. Then Palpatine saves him with the dark side of the force long enough to get him into a cybernetic suit. Only then does Anakin become Vader. But Vader also relies on the force link thru Palpatine to keep him alive. And I do think that a younger looking Vader fits the story better, cuz RotJ is really only ~15-20 years after Ep3, so he wouldn't look near as old as he did in the original RotJ.

19. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Eh--- Return of the Jedi is more than 20 years after Revenge of the Sith. Luke and Leia are about 20 in A New Hope-- the time between Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi is 25-30 years.

20. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Force link from Palpatine? Where did you read that Curufeanor? That doesn't sound right...