You are your own best medicine

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Dynan, May 13, 2011.

1. Dynan

Dynan New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    While conducting my focus studies during college, I explored a number of alternative healing methods used among different cultures, throughout eras of time. Everything from homeopathy to acupuncture; aruveda to shamanism and religious healing. Though these methods all seemed to have moderate success among their patients and practitioners, I found only one healing philosophy/technique/method/what-have-you that spanned across the breadth of alternative healing and allopathic medicine (that is "traditional" medical practices--your physicians/medical doctors)....and that is the placebo effect. M.D.s have been using placebo medications for centuries, and though many frown upon the practice, thinking it dishonest or placating, it is effective. Alternative healing methodologies may be effective, but seem to only be so among those who believe them to be (i.e. those who live in the same culture, who share the same religious/spiritual beliefs, or who have been convinced by people who are close to them)

I recently heard of a study conducted nearly 50 years ago that tested two groups of aging men--both groups were given exercise routines to follow for a measured period of time. One group was told to visualize themselves being young again--to believe it; while the control group was not. The group given the visual affirmations consistently scored higher on their physical performance than those in the group that were not. (study found in an NYU magazine). A German doctor has also keyed into this powerful healing source (that is our own minds) and has been using it mainly with cancer patients.
    Take a look, and discuss: mind over matter-are doctors going to become mostly obsolete?

2. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Nice effort Dynan! Well indeed from the ancient times till now the most researchers speak of the power of the mind! Imagine that ancient Greeks made philosophy to strength their minds. Freud talked about sex and the mind as well. And to be honest sex is better when mind works and not only like a mobility of body. Mind creates fears and physical power. But what i really see in my everyday life is that when you watch or play a sport like basketball for example you see that teams are fighting to win. But when they fear their opponents always loose. Cause you have to believe to make yourself react better. Self-confidence always help you to work to meet new people to make you react with energy and to be happy. So when you think positive always something good gonna come up! As for physiologist and other doctors that trying to help you find your mind or connected with mind, i believe that mind is a a powerful engine that these doctors will never explain it for good! So every step that their science do they are still and they will be obsolete!

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    There is also not just trust in the medication that one has to consider, but the doctor as well. There are many people who will specifically go to an older doctor rather than a younger one; not because the older knows more (heck they might know less about modern, better medication) but because of the fact that they are seen to be more wise/knowing than a young - fresh out of uni doctor.

So you've got trust in the medication - trust in the doctor and also trust in ones self to consider. I also note that many ailments we got to the doctor for are things that clear up on their own, or which require only very basic medication (if any) where it mostly only speeds up the recovery or takes the edge off the pain/downsides to allow us to function more regularly whilst we recover.

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yes.

Whilst this is, of course, not untrue, medication, more or less by definition, has a higher effect than placebo. Usually (unless the use of placebo is totally irresponsible), new drugs are tested against placebo in clinical trials to prove efficacy. Medicine laws in The US, Europe, Japan and Australia are so strict that lisences are not given to drugs which don't have a effect significantly better than placebo AND are proven to have an effect that outweighs the burden of adverse effects. So, to say that you are your own best medicine is incorrect.

But that is not to say that there isn't something like the placebo effect doesn't exsist.

In other news, could I make a plea for having this thread moved to Debate?

5. Dynan

Dynan New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes--anything you put into your body is going to have an effect. But, how much of that is a response from your neuropathways affecting your endocrine and nervous systems, and how much of it is the substance that is absorbed and processed? I guess I can see substances that are injected or inhaled being more effective, as they are transmitted directly, or nearly directly to the blood stream; but pills that need be ingested and sent through the G.I. tract with all those abrasive acids? I can understand that there is concrete evidence to suggest the efficacy of some drugs--but what about our lymphatic system? Wouldn't it attack foreign antibodies? Is it possible that we control our defense system to the point where if we accept that something is going to make us better, then it will? But, then again, there is the matter poison--people have died without knowing they've been poisoned...I'm kind of going in circles, aren't I?

Anyhoo, I would love to move this to debate...is there an easier way than copying and pasting the original thread?

6. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    A sharp observation.

Medicine, are designed or selected to be efficacious at the targeted area. Although most medicine will withstand the trip through the GI tract and, what's much more important, the first pass through the liver, some are selected or designed not to be able to do so, but will break down in an active component before or once in the blood stream (assuming the administration is systemic). Another way of putting it is that medicine who don't meet such standards will fall out of the pipeline very early in development. After all, unefficacious drugs are simply not profitable. Reversely, medicine which can be administered orally are more profitable than medicine administered by syringe or other ways (with a possible exception of transdermal administration). So, there is a benefit in developing pills, if you like.

Well, of course there are medicine which are able to act as an antigen (and thus give rise to antibodies). This, however, becomes apparent very quickly, since it will almost invariably lead to an allergic reaction - often quite severe. Luckily, these reactions are quite rare. The consequence is that a person, once allergic, can't use that medicine ever again (or, as is often the case, all medicines in a specific class). Usually, through, medicine won't suffer from this problem since they tend to be too small to be recognised by our immune system. Most medicine are that small because synthesis would be relatively affordable; and oral drug molecules can't be too large to begin with. To add to that, a lot of medicine mimic native substances, which (usually) are protected from an immune reaction.

Naw. I'll ask a mod or an admin or something :)

7. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    This is the NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS SECTION PEOPLEEEE! I call you back to order! *slams the hammer*

Ok? :p

8. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    kekeke

to stay on topic: Newsflash Foin - I already asked a mod to have it moved.

9. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    And I am helping you with my nagging!

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Dear Foin,

You're always helping me with your nagging. It's one of the facts of life :p

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    So how long have you two been planning on hiding this marriage from the rest of us?

12. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Errr... you handle this, Foin ^^

Anyway... Drugs...

13. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Haha :D Good one.