you and your swords

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Jessehk, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hi. I am going insane trying to decide what to buy. Either Glamdring or Hadhafang. Could a couple of you post some pics of yourselves holding these swords? Not only would this help me, but you get to show-off! :D

2. CarlG2

CarlG2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well...no pic but I think that if I had to choose between the two (of which I own both), I like Glamdring better. However, since Hadhafang's "stand" allows it be displayed horizontally, it looks great on the fireplace mantle. :)

3. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have seen and held both. Hadafang is very sweet. Nice weight, good balance, great to hold. Glamdring is also sweet. Very long blade, sharp point, good balance and great to hold. Glandring is a heavy sword, so if weight is a problem for you, you might want to consider the Hadafang. If weight is not an issue, Glamdring would be my choice. I have read many questions in these forums regarding the blue on the grip however. Some said the grip leather was darker than they thought. But with lighting and the color saturation in photo's it appears lighter. The leather in the grip is actually a darker blue, so dont let that discourage you. Glamdring is a beautiful sword and I am sure it will be the best investment you will make. Hope this helps. :D :D :D

4. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are only going for one, without a doubt it should be Glamdring. Hadhafang (IMHO) feels AWFUL in the hands, its balance is completely skewed to the blade end. Glamdring at least feels like a weapon that could be wielded-- and the blade shape speaks for itself.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I own Hadhafang. Looks absolutely beautiful, feels like a lump of lead in one hand. It flows okay with 2 hands (notice Elron using both hands in the FOTR prologue?) but it's a display item, and as such is simply exquisite.

I've held Glamdring and thought it was a bit blade heavy as well, but again, they're display items, not actual weapons. Beautiful blae though, the subtle leaf looks great, as does the blue handle. Surprisingly long though!

If it's straight-out looks you're after, I think Hadhafang is hard to beat (but of course I'm biased ;-) If you want one to play with or are after a more significant blade from the movies, go for Glamdring.

But if you can find a store nearby, hold them both and then decide :)

6. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My memory does not serve me well to who said this but one member told me after I noticed the same type of balance you are telling me here, that this was correct for this type of sword.

So I guess this is the correct feel for Hadhafang. I think it has something to do with the fact that it is a slicing sword instead of a thrusting sword and the balance helps it achieve this better, just not sure

7. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah somebody said that blade-heavy was an appropriate balance for a cavalry sword. But Kit has even said somewhere that Hadhafang was an example of where he went against his preference for correct blade design in orde to exactly replicate the look of the movie prop, and he specifically cited the poor balance. I think this is simply a manufacturing effect-- look at how THICK the blade is, in order to allow the deep engravings on both sides-- it's 1/4" thick!

8. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very good Point Elohir , I had forgoten about Kit mentioning that.

9. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well even though both are beautiful blades, I would have to say, niether, I think that Narsil is a much more beautiful sword.

10. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glamdring is the best sword there is.

11. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ageed, it is a fine leaf blade, but thee is so many. I find it hard to choose just one.

12. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say glamdring. It was my first, and is my favorite. Narsil is a good choice too, if you like really big swords.