Yet another Steel question

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Lanterne, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Lanterne

Lanterne New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok i did some research on my own and it only served to confuse me more.

i remember seeing a post (i think it was from "Justice") which gave me the impression that 10XX steel is inferior to that of 5160 steel (excluding tempering/heating). In other words if you made two swords, one with 10XX and one with 5160 steel, and used the same methods for making the swords, the 5160 sword would be better. Is this true?

P.S. i think it was also Justice who coined the term "Superswords" were swords made out of 5160 steel whilst the 10XX were just plain steel swords. /shrug

2. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Different swords use different steels. It all depends on the swords usage. The last two digits of any steel represent the carbon content. Many katana manufacturers use 1095 steel because the edge of a katana needs an ultra hard edge. Albion armorers use both 1075 and 5160 steel, what the strength difference is I couldn't tell you.

It all depends on the tempering. Even the poorest steel could perform heroically if tempered properly.

3. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Although Albion uses 5160 here and there, they use 1075 (I always thought 1085 but who cares) more often. Technically, I don't think you could view either one as better than the other. It's very true what Justice said: the heat treating is even more important than the kind of steel used.
    It's also important to know that a custom made 5160 or 10xx from a good smith will almost always outperform a sword from the same steel created with a cnc machine (like Albion and Angus Trim swords) because they are hand-forged. Now that doesn't mean swords from a cnc machine aren't good, by the way. On the contrary, the atrims and albion are excellent swords and very much worth their money but they are production swords, for small companies like Albion and even smaller ones like Atrim, it's vitually impossible to hand-forge every single sword they sell for the sole reason the lack the personel to do so. If I were you I wouldn't bother so much about the steel being used, how the steel is worked and treated by the smith who makes the sword is far more important. For euro longswords, I think 5160 and 1075 is like comparing Ferari to Lamborghini, they do not best eachother, they are just different.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Shall we start a separate thread to debate the Ferrari vs Lambo thing? ;-) Not that I'll ever drive either, but hey...

And I third that opinion - heat treating is the key. It's the difference between a sword and a sword-shaped piece of steel