Xbox 360 VS PS3

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by darkfox, Jun 1, 2009.

?

Xbox 360 or PS3?

1. Xbox 360

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. PS3

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Neither. Consoles suck.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Wii for the win

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine got the red ring of death on her Xbox. So she sent it in and went out and bought another while she waited for her Xbox to come back. New one had the red ring too. lol. So she took it back to the store and the clerk sheepishly exchanged it for her. The retard knew it was busted. I'd get into what an a$$hole this moron is, but it's pretty clear. Anyway. So now she's got a 360 that works, but she's still miffed and we were having an argument about her going to PS3.

So we took the vote to our other friends and it's pretty even. Both systems have big drawbacks and both systems rock. So. I ask it of TFF....which video game system is better?

Don't move this either. It's a debate that has financial implications. Get lost with the over-zealous moderating.

My contention is that Xbox has carved out a niche created by having a superior system in the original xbox AND it had a hard drive. Move onto PS3 and Sony has wisely added a hard drive AND they one upped Microsoft by having a Blue-Ray drive so people can watching 1080p movies in 7.1 surround. That almost convinced me to get a PS3 too...but Microsoft got me early with the Xbox and Sony hates me.

Add to this the extra memory and wireless controllers that actually work and don't eat batteries like a fat kid at the buffet line....and I was pretty sold on the 360 right from the start. Red ring of death or not. That being said, if my Xbox fried...I'm not sure if I would go PS3 or not. The blue-ray drive is a real selling point and they fixed the controller issue....plus you can use damn near any bluetooth earpiece for a mic.

Tough one. I hope it doesn't boil down to fanboys. I'd like some serious input or thoughts.

2. Jet

Jet I Improvised

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Neither. PC.

3. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I've owned three 360s. Each one died. The first two lasted a year each, the third six months. I decided not to buy another, ever. I've got a PS3 now, and have never had any problems with it. It was a lot more expensive than a 360, but at least I know it isn't going to die on me if I look at it funny. The fact that it's got blu-ray is a bonus, but reliability is the main issue for me.

4. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    lol...insightful as always Jet.

that's good to know. I've heard of isolated problems with PS3, but not even close to the terror stories of the red ring. i think if this thing dies I'll be switching...too many clan players hang out on PS3 and even though Sony really does hate me, the blue-ray is a hell of a selling feature.

how's the controller battery life now? is it still horrible?

5. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I usually get about six or seven hours out of it before needing to recharge. I don't know if that's good or bad. These days I tend to keep it connected to the console anyway, as the monitor I play on isn't so big that I need to sit yards away from it.

6. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I have a PS3 and love it. Love that you can watch Blu-Ray on it was well, it's a big positive for me. My remote's batteries last about 6 hours or so I'd guess, it's hard to say since I usually switch them every time I use them and typically don't let them die on me.

Never liked xBox.

7. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    huh. i've got 23 hours on my current single run AA's and i've got 3/4 power left. usually on rechargables (2450mah) I get about 15-16 hours. the red-ring is definately a negative, though I have yet to experience it. blu-ray is cool and all, but is it worth it? just not sure. xbox has really taken their share of the market and the two systems have a similar number of exclusive titles as well as multi-platform games as well.

gotta tell ya. Left 4 Dead is pretty badarse on Live.

8. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Left 4 Dead is even better on PC. It completely negates the need to play it on a console.

9. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Im going 360 on this one. I have both, and they both have pro's and con's. The PS3 pro's are it looks better in my opinion. It is much quiter than the 360, and blu-ray rules. I actually bought mine mainly for the blu-ray. and......that may be it. What I dont like about it is the six axis controller is horrible. The controller isnt the issue, its the fact that alot of the games are actually trying to use it. Shaking my controller like a douche, or rotating it really fast is just lame in the extreme. I thought the sony might one up xbox on graphics, but that isnt the case. Games look great on it, but not better than the 360 imo. Im also not so hot on the PS3 interface. It can be a little tedious, and overly complicated for no good reason. And lastly, It annoyed me that when xbox announced it was realeasing the 360 so much earlier that the PS3, sony tore microsoft up about them "rushing"it, and scorned there lack of backward compatibility. Fast forward a year and a half, the PS3 comes out, and guess what, backward compatability issues. There BC is no better if not less than the 360. Now they stopped even putting it in the consoles period. This scores major points for sony's numbnuttedness.
    Now the 360 cons are pretty basic. Loud and hot. It sounds like someone is pulling in my driveway when that baby fires up. And even though I havent had the red ring of death yet, Im suprised, because that console is about to spontaniously combust it gets so hot. Everything else, I have no complaints. What it comes down to in the end, is #1. Game selection. 360 has a better selection for my liking. #2. Price, 360's are way cheaper. So I say they are both good, but strictly for gaming, its Xbox for me.

(yes, I give a big thumbs up to Left 4 Dead)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  10. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    My 360 got red rings, and we sent it out. It should be back soon I hope. The red rings are annoying as shit, but the 360 has some very cool games, and I really enjoy how Xbox Live is layed out. PS3 is very good too, but if I had to choose I'd go with Xbox.

11. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    360, cause that's what has the games I like.

12. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    controllers make a system in my opinion. xbox has ps3 beat big time. the six axis is a good point, there's also the battery life to consider. longer life=longer play. lol

13. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    One bonus with the PS3 is you never have to buy batteries for the controller; just connect it to the console every once in a while and you're set. Another is that you don't have to pay to play online. None of this silver and gold crap.

14. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    360, it got a lot of good game.

15. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I bet I know who voted for the Wii. Yuan.

16. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Xbox360, but that's just because I like the games on it more. If Halo 3 was on the PS3 instead, then I would've gotten the PS3.

17. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Having just watched the recent E3 my ponderings concerning whether I should buy a PS3 or 360 has been tipped into the favour of PS3. Whilst the new 360 games are good, the PS3 one's are just awesome. The new Halo as per the usual looks like it's offering the same old overrated generic and boring gameplay/world and is surpassed by games like MAG. The library of games in general seems to be an offer than what 360 has to offer.

To top it all off, PS3 online is free, none of that paying rubbish. Also as said before, controller battery life is not really a problem.

18. bryan120

bryan120 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've owned three 360s. The first two lasted a year each, the third six months. I decided not to buy another, ever. I've got a PS3 now and have never had any problems with it. It was a lot more expensive than a 360, but at least I know it isn't going to die on me if I look at it funny. The fact that it's got blu-ray is a bonus, but reliability is the main issue for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  19. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    360; has Halo

20. Nomina Sunt Odiosa

Nomina Sunt Odiosa The Red under your bed...

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've got both. The PS3 has the benefit that you don't have to pay to play. As someone who mistrusts giving credit card details online, however, the fact that you can walk into a shop and buy points to download content for Xbox is a definite plus. If Sony had a similar system (and better rpgs on offer) I probably wouldn't have jumped ship. So far, Xbox has the edge.