Writing Tips

Discussion in 'General Books' started by WordTickler, Jul 20, 2009.

1. WordTickler

WordTickler Author of The Occuscript

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here are some writing tips I've collected. if anyone disagrees with any of them - sorry. I've just found they work for me. I hope they help some of us. I write fantasy fiction, so it might lean that way:

01. Pretend. Be the character.

02. Consider a "Confidante" to allow characters freedom of venting otherwise frustrating to deliver information.

03. "Show, Don't Tell" should apply more to periphreal and static characters. The central character (or any dynamic character that will undergo changes) should fall under the "Show" more often than not.

04. Use all 5 senses, at a minimum. More, if your character has them. Seeing, smelling, hearing, touching and tasting.

05. Dialogue should be done like a stage play, if you can keep the speakers clearly separated. Not only does it reduce grasping for synonyms for the word "said", it can reduce the need to use "said" altogether.

06. Touch sympathetically on the feelings and thoughts of the antagonist. Help the reader understand how the antagonist's loathsome character came to be.

07. Stick close to known beliefs about fantasy characters - as a starting point. Give the reader a solid anchor with which to deviate through the guidance of your words. An elf should not do troll things.

08. 3 Main Rules of a Fantasy Novel:

a. The fantasy world must have identifiable and workable laws underpinning it.
    b. There is a hero or heroine who often is lost, unlikely, powerless at first or second glance, or unrecognized and therefore easy for the reader to identify with.
    c. Things always end justly - though not always happily.

09. Exaggeration is a staple of comic fiction - the turning up of the volume on the truth to point out the humor inherent in it.

10. Try to imagine the problems that would arise should your fantasy speculation become reality.

11. Ask youself what the best thing is that each character can do - from his own point of view - then let him do it; write it down.

12. Try to include the minutiae of life: philosophy, love, technology, poetry and everyday happenings. Heighten each of them with your writing.

13. Consider sending the book to an editor by FedEx - if he/she is a specifically targeted and well-researched one. He/She will clearly see that you have gone the extra mile and will very well be predisposed to take your manuscript seriously.

14. If your manuscript looks "previously read", the editor will assume that it has been previously rejected. Only send pristine manuscripts to editors - even if previously read. Reprint questionable pages if you must resend a manuscript. Consider marking the manuscript on the cover as "Disposable Copy - Do Not Return" but be sure to include a SASE for your response, in any event.

15. Use capitalized, bold, underline and italics sparingly. Let the words finesse the emphasis rather than the type, if at all possible. You're a writer - not a typesetter.

16. New paragraphs and dialogue should be indented.

17. Avoid cliches like the plague.

18. Don't pile on the adjectives and adverbs. Overuse or misuse tolls death for a manuscript.

19. On plot & Structure: LOCK (Lead, Objective, Confrontation and Knockout)

a. LEAD: Strong lead character.
    b. OBJECTIVE: To get something or to get away from something.
    c. CONFRONTATION: Obstacles to the objective.
    d. KNOCKOUT: Achieving the objective. A must.

My Best,

Kerry B. Rogers, Author
    The Occuscript
    An Epic Fantasy Adventure
    Sample at: https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1058632
    More Info at: http://urlmini.com/?i=1267

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009