Writing advice???

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Alonwi, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't create a world...or even a country...just a couple of towns. a mighty river and a range of mountains....worked for me!!

2. Ringquelle

Ringquelle Graveyard Faerie

On the South Pole, importing chickens and building
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am only designing the whole thing because I really like doing it.... it gives me ideas for my story as well!

3. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is a good idea Ringquelle, a lot of writers create everything bout their world prior to starting...I just have a few vague ideas...then the story kinda takes off

4. Ringquelle

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I only got a few scenes in my head..... and by "making" the world the story will take part in, some things connect, some scenes are added.....

5. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i start out with an idea, notes in a wee book, then I try and write a chapter outline a two or three words bout what may happen, then flesh it out. I think that I rarely stick to the plan and usually end up off on a tangent some where near the target...

6. Ringquelle

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I try to stick to a plan.... but usually, I end up somewhere I didn't thought I'd be!

7. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean. When I wrote my first tale, I didn't really know where it would go, I just let one chapter lead me to the next...all I knew was that my dragon would be reunited with his father Dragon in an amphitheater fighting eachother before finally joining forces against the enemy!!

Now though I try to be a wee bit more structured, I know with my latest book (Changelings Book2 The book of Raziel) that my hero chap is going to get a book that is going to help him drive the demon from his father, and save the world from total war!!! It is just the getting there bit that I have to work on!!!

8. Alonwi

Alonwi Dracovendi

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    What If I don't know where my story will end up?

9. Vanaiel

Vanaiel Wyrd little one

Among the clouds, Voldsmose, Odense, Fyn, Denmark,
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that's a big problem - it depends on what kind of writer you are. Some likes to have everything strucktured and can't write unless it's done and others simply write and then edits a whole lot afterwards ;o) Just let the story take it's turn and follow it's lead...

10. Alonwi

Alonwi Dracovendi

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes it's annoying because people ask me 'what is it about' and then I can't answer because even I don't what is gonna happen. Usually I try to explain it to them and I end up confusing them.

11. Vyla

Vyla New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I'm currently writing my own fantasy story too.. and as it stands, I have more planning than I do actual storywork My advice is to write down any ideas you get, even if they're not completely solid. You can always scrap them later. My planning literally consists of pages and pages of storyline ideas, name ideas, place ideas, and even dialogue that could fit it in at some point. I always suggest outlining some sort of a plot aswell, because although, as has been said above, some writers prefer to just.. well.. write.. with no structure, it can often complicate things, and can make editing extremely tiresome. If you have some sort of an aim (even if it is something as simple as 'hero defeats evil ruler and returns to his home a changed person' etc), it will hopefully make each chapter easier to follow for a reader, if anything.

Hope that helped!

12. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Thats good advice.

Does anyone have any to help improve dialouge? that is my main weakness.

13. the_gathering_light

the_gathering_light Enlightened of Taravehn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone! I thought I would join in the conversation. I am 19 and enjoy writing and am glad to see a lot of other young people like myself here. I am working on a novel that's approximately 250 manuscript pages long; it's a complete story, but now I'm going over it for error and ommissions. This is my first attempt at something so large.

So dialouge eh? Well I can't say that I'm the authority on the subject but some advice I've heard is don't worry about using the phrase ___(character)____ said, because readers will generally just gloss over it and it won't ruin their day as much as you might expect. Another thing I do is I don't put a phrase in like to that after every sentance someone speaks, just when there are more than two people talking or someone new jumps in on the conversation. Besides dealing with that just remember that usually each of your characters has a unique voice and just go over it (saying it out loud helps) to make sure that the identities of the characters remain separated.

Anyways that's just my thoughts for now.

14. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Write! Write ! Write!

Never stop and you will find yourself growing as a writer and soon find your own path.

Best of luck! :D

15. Soteria

Soteria New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are unsure of structure then Maricopa Community College has an excellent free online story creation tool. Heros Journey Story Tool Its free, you create your story online and then you can transfer it to your own computer. I love it. It helped me write my first story.

16. Vanaiel

Vanaiel Wyrd little one

Among the clouds, Voldsmose, Odense, Fyn, Denmark,
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As to the dialouge, try acting out the sceen - you know, stand up and move from one spot to the other as the characters speak and use your arms and bodylanguage to really get in touch with the given character and how he or she would speak in that moment of the story. I'm pretty sure it would help me ;o) Some things may look good on paper, but readers (such as myself anyway) tends to read dialouges as if spoken (not out loud, but I think you know what I mean) and if it sounds odd or out of character it might ruin the flow of the story.

17. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    thanks Vanaiel, never thought of it that way, I should have though being that I have 8 years of theatre experience. Thanks again. ^.^

18. Alonwi

Alonwi Dracovendi

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Wow, this is really great stuff! Thanks a bunch!

19. Dead Dutchman

Dead Dutchman Regressive

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    just take your time, you dont have to write books straight away, do short storys first and work your way up to full length novels.

20. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all

I started with a full length Novel a few years ago, I just wrote the sort of thing that I would love to read.
    Let the imagination run riot.
    Have a basic outline of the plot written in rough chapters a few sentences for each, but try and surpise yourself, and hence the readers after you.
    I wrote an 85000word story and thought it would be a best seller. Sent it to loads of publishers and agents and got absolutley rejected lolol
    So I spent a bit of dosh and got a literary service to read and review it for me...it turned out that I had tried to put too much into the tale.
    Downhearted, I shelved the project.
    Then I joined the BBC GetWriting site, befriended afew aspiring authors and started a new book....
    I wrote and posted a few Chapters of

Changelings Book1 Dragons & Demons...

I got my new writers circle friends to give comment on each chapter. Then really got into it...
    I ended up writing a fast-paced and exciting tale of 32000words, Shorter because it made for easier reading, only a few pages per chapter.
    I approached one of my fave authors (A.A.Attanasio) and asked if he had any more books coming out...he answered that he was Struggling to get published!!!! He said that he decided to go for POD Publishing...
    So I researched and found lulu.com.
    Lulu is a facilitator...you, as the author have to do everything, edit, proofread, setup pages, choose book covers, EVERYTHING
    So I SelfPublished Changelings last November....within 3 months I have sold 340 copies, and had articles in 3 local newspapers...my local bookshop has sold 40 and bought another 10 form me last week...
    I have copies of my book in the hands of Agents in London and even an agent in Los Angeles requested a copy!!
    I sell from home and have written over 20 chapters of the follow on,
    I also sell on EBAY and have sold 40 or so on there
    If you belive in your work and KNOW it is a Damn Fine Tale, then I would say GO FOR IT!!
    There is NOTHING like recieving unsolicited emails from folks who have parted with cash for something YOU have written!!!

And so far(touch wood) All have said they loved the tale and cant wait for book2!!!!!!!

Keep Writing, It will amaze you how you can grow as a writer!!!!

Dont lose heart when rejection slips come in, I just say IT IS YOUR LOSS for I may Just be the next JK Rowling...haha

Cheers friends
    James A McVean

Ps If you would like a Free EBOOK version of my novel drop me an email
    MCVEANJIM@aol.com