Writer's Block Help

Discussion in 'The Scribe's House' started by jamercier, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jamercier

jamercier New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

I just have a general question for everyone... how do you all deal with writer's block... any tips or tools that I may be able to use to get myself rid of this frustrating block on my stream of writing? Any feedback would be great...

Be Blessed,

Joshua

2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Well I know if I get writers block I just watch a movie or play a video game with the same type of theme of the story I'm writing.

And if that doesn't work, think about a major part of the plot later in the story that you already have planned out. Write about that and fill in the blanks later.. I do the second one a TON

3. Aatell

Aatell The one who has two minds

The brotherhood of brothers of brothering brotherl
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    or do something thats wayyyyyyyy off topic if i do thta i lose my thoughts

4. __________

__________ New Member

Phasing out the Human race will solve every proble
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

Hey josh who's blessing me?

5. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    What i do is drink a fizzy beverage with sugar. It helps to focus the thoughts. Then i would play videogames or some thing and then come back.

6. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Aatell and Kakashi. Some great advice there that I practice myself. I'd also like to add that finding certain songs or music that suites the theme fo your story or specific characters helps. Kinda like a soundtrack to your world. I do this myself and find that listening to the music/songs while at my PC helps put me in the world I'm writing.

7. Maia Jacomus

Maia Jacomus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same here, really. I'll watch a movie to get me in the mood, or listen to some Enya. But that doesn't always work--sometimes I simply can't figure out what to do next.

That's where role-playing comes in. I'll put myself in the character's head and act out the scene--many times, it's helped me figure out what to do/say next.

If it's a really bad block, and I know what's going to come up soon in the story, something I know I could write without much difficulty, I'll put ----insert transition here---- then skip ahead and write what I can.

If none of the above really help, then I'll take a break from the story for a week or so. Maybe I'll work on other hobbies or other stories. Maybe I'll think of ideas for the story while washing the dishes or taking a shower. Then I return to my story with a refreshed mind.