wouldn't sauron know where frodo was?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curunir's bane, Jan 9, 2004.

1. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ok this is something that has bugged me ever since I read reviews for the TTT, people have been complaing that when frodo was in osgiliath and the nazgul flew up to see him, Sauron would have know where he was and the quest would have just ended right there. I beg to differ. First off lets get this strait, frodo is about to put the ring on, not offer it to the nazgul, secondly, the nazgul have poor vision, and the thing that should shut everyone up is that in the book after shelob's lair, sam PUTS THE RING ON IN MORDOR why wouldnt sauron know where he was then? Well I would like to hear your comments about the whole thing.

2. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i agree but the nazgul probably sensed the ring thats why it tried to grab frodo plus what curinirs bane said about sam in the books plus the ringraith would have no idea where frodo was going next anyway

3. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I was about to say that myself they would have no idea where he was going next, but i never denied the fact that they sensed the ring, good point warrior.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Also, if you think about it, it might have even been a good thing that Frodo almost put the Ring on and that the Nazgul sensed it. Look at it this way: he was in Osgiliath at the time, which would probably have reinforced Sauron's suspicions that the Ring was in Gondor, thus keeping his eye turned from his own lands.

5. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    yes thatis also an extremely good point lady_of_shalott

6. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Frodo was never in osgiliath that happended in the movie not the book. And I don't think that sam put the ring on in Mordor. SHelobs lair is not in mordor.

7. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    OK I know i've read the books, osgiliath never happened as far as the shelob thing, I think Cirith Ungol the tower and the pass is pretty close to mordor and its far closer than osgiliath is, I didn't know we were gonna get that technical here. What i'm saying is why do people think that sauron would be more likely to go after frodo in osgiliath and not right in his own territory. I think that PJ did a good job leaving sam putting on the ring out of the movie it was a good idea cuz reagular movie-goers wouldnt have understood why they wouldnt have been swoormed, but he still kept that part in there where you think the orcs have taken the ring from frodo. Keep in mind i am in no way dissing Tolkien.

And for some reason my profile pic is still not working!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  8. Devious

Devious New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It probably depends on the proximity of the person putting on the ring to either Sauron or the Nazgul. When Frodo puts on the ring on Mount Doom he is very close to Sauron and Sauron hears his proclamation that he is the master of the ring.

but hey I could be wrong. It does seem sort of strange that he doesn't notice the Sam putting on the ring.

9. The Archangel

The Archangel Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    meh, maybe it co-insided(spelling?) with aragorn using the palantir or something.

10. The Archangel

The Archangel Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    meh, maybe it co-insided(spelling?) with aragorn using the palantir or something. or perhaps twas a big night last night.

11. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The nazgul might have horrid vision, but the books say that the fell beast and the horses had excellent vision, and did the seeing for them. And Shelob's Lair is in the Ephel Duath which IS a domain of Mordor.

The Nazgul probably did report sight of the Ring, but when the fell beast was shot, Frodo escaped. So since the whereabouts of Ringbearer were unknown after the encounter, Sauron believed Pippin (being the only hobbit in MT) had it and focused on Gondor. Sam wasn't seen in the Lair cuz Sauron was busy with either Pippin or Aragorn looking into the palantir--i dont remember which so i'd have to read the timeline in the book again.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  12. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In the book, Sam put the ring on on the edge of Sauron's land. Sauron had conjured up shadows and darkness in the mountains to help protect and fortify Mordor. So when Sam put the Ring on, he was in the shadows, and Sauron couldn't see him.

As for the Nazgul, I assume he knew something was there, but he didn't know what. If Frodo had put the Ring on, then yes, Middle Earth would be f**ked.

13. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember seeing in the RoTK movie when Sam took the ring (and Sting) from Frodo. He just found Frodo, beat off Shelob and hid from the approaching orcs.

14. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sam never put the ring on in the movie, only in the book. He needed to in the book.

15. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Right, but Dark Lord Sauron was saying that he nver even saw Sam take the Ring when he thought Frodo was dead.

I think they did that in the movie to create suspense. The audience thinks that the Ring is in the hands of the enemy, but then bam! There is it.