Would you save the dog or the human?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Anir, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Ravenhart

Ravenhart New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Also being faced with this situation in reality rather than questioned on the forum, I am confident everyone who said they'd save the dog would actually rather save the human being. It's pretty much instinctive really, unless you can clearly see that the guy is Josef Fritzl or something...

Then again if that was the case you'd probably save him just to beat the crap out of him and throw him in again. o.o

2. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That is really an interesting question and I did not expect it here in this forum.

First of all, I would make no difference between a human I would like or one I would dislike. That is all the same to me.

If I really had the choice, I would save both, my cat and that human.

But if there is no choice - even runnig danger of being stoned now by the rest of the forum - I would rather save my cat without thinking. As a know my cat being a good friend over some years now.
    People sometimes say that humans are "pigs" or "dogs" but when thinking about ... pigs or dogs are the better humans in most cases.

They do not judge you, just are one level with you, being loyal, never betraying you, being helpful and respective - there is still a lot more to sum up.

And sorry for me digging up another old thread ^^

3. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Heh.

I wish I could say I would save a stranger before my dog. But no. Dog, every time, unless it were a child. Though realistically any dog I owned would know how to swim.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

It's only a cat, a pet, a goddamn animal for heaven's sake.
    The reason our pets don't betray us is because they're stupid animals and completely lack the mental faculties needed to do such things. Our pets are not better than people, even if that person is a stranger whom you've never met. I can only assume that folks who choose dogs and cats over people must hate other people to such an extent that behaving like a monster seems alright to them. My friends, there's something called empathy; having the capacity to recognize and feel another's pain is what sets us apart from sociopaths.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

I save the man.
    I don't even consider my dog until I have the stranger out of the water.

5. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Would you feel the same way if the drowning man was your dad and the passerby saved the dog?

6. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    O MY GOD its the first time i can agree with Sparrow!!! Thank fantashy forum! Of course i will go for the man, woman American Asian African if i had no choice to rescue both the man and the dog or cat... But yes first choice without thinking is the human.

There is also another good question. What if i had to choose from an elf or a human. Then i don't know if i will save the human, maybe the elf... don't know.

7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

:)

Well, if you were the guy drowning I might think twice on it... just kidding.

I was banned from the SFF Chronicles forum for a thread topic exactly like this one.
    Most everybody said they'd dive in after the dog... and as I recall in that thread the dog belonged to the drowning man. To me it's such a bizarre disconnect from humanity that it's hard to even understand their mindset. No wonder this world sucks so bad; we treat our pets better than our fellow man.

8. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    indeed... humans run after a dog and take divorces or fight each other... This is insane, i can see it everywhere nowadays

Example. I was walking in Peiraiki a place for walking in the shore of my city and people were out there with their pets. And while i was walking a small dog came near me and i didn't see it cause i was listeing to music and couldn't hear it. So i just touched it with my trousers. And the girl that saw that was so angry and shouted at me like it was the end of the world. Two blocks from the fight area, where i told her that i m sorry and that should relax, i saw her dog's shit into the pedastrian way... and i went mad...

So yes i like dogs and cats i prefer dogs than cats, but when it comes to humans its the first choice. I mean come on pets are cute but humans are far more important.

9. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I'm a humanist and a human supremacist. Sure other species are great, but if we want to preserve them we need to be alive. It could have been one of my pets but I would make the sacrifice, maybe donate to a shelter or take in another pet from an awful life like that.

I hate it when people assume the worst about people, just because nobody talks to each other doesn't mean that we shouldn't have respect or recognize one another at the least. People built the buildings you live in, the computer you are using, and prepared or processed, or farmed most of the food you eat. People are trying to use science to delve into the depths of universe's unknown, and are engineering technology and tools to make your life more easy and the world a better place for every living thing. Just because the person could be a high school dropout or a delinquent drug addict doesn't mean they won't turn go for a fresh start, especially after somebody bothered to care about them and saved their life. People are so adaptable they could become functional in society the next day, to make your life and the lives around you more easier.

10. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I don't treat my animals like human beings, I understand that humans are more useful and such, I simply don't like them, in general. And I know this is harsh, but really, how many people can't swim? It's your own fault if you can't. Not to mention I am small and physically weak, and I can assume a drowning human would be panicking, and more likely to drag me down with them.

I wouldn't blame a stranger if they saved their dog over my loved one, because I know I would do the same, and they have no reason to save a complete stranger.

Though if it were a passerby, who had no connection to either drowning subject, I would expect them to save the human, as I would do as well.

11. Forgotten Realms

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Here, I agree with Saeriel. It is the same with me, small and physically not the strength. But if that was not .... humans are more useful than what? Than every other creature or beings in the world? I state such feeling themselves superior to others as an arrogant prerogative. A human is not more worth than any other being in the world. People always think themselves masters of nature - e.g. for building ski pists to increase tourism, they cut the trees and wonder when earth one day will come down on their houses and greets them. They can also tell you how to change good earth into a desert as the Sahara was known as a fertile land, just simply by cutting the trees to get more farmland, but the earth is not protected against the wind when there are nothing that keeps it away. So good earth will be blown away and replaced by sand and desert. And what else? Plants are beings for me as well as they are responsible in some case for our survival. Plants deliver the oxygen we need to breathe (wonder what humans breathe when the will have cut all their oxygen suppliers) and even food to eat like berries, mushrooms and venisson (I know not everybody eats this but it can be considered as a nutrition factor). Sorry, for being also very harsh but that is some bit to the usefulness of mankind.

When you save an animal (that is your friend as well), it will be greatful and thankful and is ready for you doing the same if in the position to do so. When you save a human, a hand will be reached but within one second it will lead the strike to harm you (That is of course not the rule, but humans can be incalculable).

Nearly everybody here in the thread stated that they would save the human first. And one sentence later: "Except it is....somelike .....e.g. Fritzel" or whomever I have read. I think this Fritzel is a human too?? Should a human make differences within the own race by whom to save? There are humans worth to be saved and otherwise humans not worth to be saved? Well, I would like to know that a bit deeper as those are some strange things for me to understand.

Sorry for making a little excursion in my answer in extending beings even into plants and nature what was not asked for. Sorry for hijacking the thread in this case.

There exists a wise and true saying and I do not want to withhold it from you:
    "As long as humans think that animals do not feel, animals feel that humans do not think!"

12. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I justify my existence by serving humanity, if we must consume planets to expand and develop so be it. The natural world as it is has no dreams to explore space, no ambition to discover the unknown, no wonder within itself. But humanity has this and as we continue to grow we will become more or less Godlike, able to devour planets, or regrow barren ones eventually. Animals are great but they can not comprehend our technology or our growing grasp on the universe, they are far behind us evolutionarily, so it is our duty to do as much as we can before we drop dead so that if one day they evolve they may pick up our pace. In the short term a bunny may be cute and have feelings but, it has such a simple survivalist mind. If it could it comprehend what we are doing it would thank us for discovering and laying the groundwork for basic civilization and all of our scientific archives. Because millions of years from know when cuddly bunny people discover our boon of knowledge they will understand why we had to make sacrifices in favor of humanity at the time.

Everybody assumes the worst about people, Forgotten Realms, you use a person striking you back as an example. This person could see you as their savior, assume a debt to you and ensure you enjoy your life in turn. But no, you have dehumanized humans to be incalculable unpredictable savages who devour and only cater to themselves but this is not true. Anybody can recognize when you save them, as you say even the animal may show loyalty.

And Saeriel, if a man doesn't know how to swim then they should die? Then what next? If a man is poor is he unfit? If a man can't run is he unfit? If a man can't climb is he unfit? Where do you draw the boundary for Darwinism? We have technology and each other to end and ease our natural suffering and the concept of being unfit. That drowning person could be me (I know how to swim but picture me in any hazard) as you do not know my face, would you risk letting a person who would save you die? If every person thought this way think of how cold the world would be. Nobody would care for a stranger, it would be pure survival of the fittest, the law animals are forced to follow.

I understand why you both think the way you do, hell, at a time I thought that way too. But if you are going to have faith in anything have faith in humanity, because if everyone does we can begin to do great things.

13. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I agree totally with Lord Yuan. We must put our faith to humanity cause humans can save everyone and everything, forests pets. Anything you can imagine!

Try not to think of people that act badly to pets or animals or polute nature.

Cause if i was negative or aggresive with all the dog keppers who let their dog's to shit my pedastrian way then i could use your words that people pollute the environment...

14. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I just see it as being that if we don't live for each other, who are capable of so much good, yet so much bad. And assume that they will be bad then what do we live for? To make ourselves happy? To just live for your own happiness seems like a waste of so much. I'd argue that people using natural resources at a massive scale is only natural. It was bound to happen, if we continue on this path we may find ways to make our impact less big but keep moving on.

Optimism is tough but if you are Nihilistic then why bother even living? Sure you can argue any thing any way, reason that everything we do is pointless, but will that make people happy? Will that make you happy? If we hope for the best and aim past where we can see and define the world hoping to find something greater then it seems like everything can be more exciting and fun, the world blooms with challenge and wonder.

15. RisingSamurai

RisingSamurai New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would probably save the human and live with the deep pain of losing the beloved pet. Or I would save the human and not miss the terrible pet. Or I would Save the human and live the pain of losing the dog and finding out that the human is terrible. Or I'd save the human and miss the dog and know that I saved a good person. Well you see where I'm going with this. I'd save the human.

16. Forgotten Realms

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was stumbling over this. You would save the elf instead of the human?
    But how would you differenciate between the two?
    Until you have found it out and tested everything, the elf would have drowned, wouldn't he?
    And before you have the chance to look around you, you will have lost two lives that you would have thought to spare, am I right?

17. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If I loved the dog enough, I would.

18. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That is the best reply of the night. Bravo, Bravo!
    Agreed 99.99%

19. Forgotten Realms

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That is my other ... my other Me. It comes out when being hit at one of my weak points and it is without consideration of any consequence nor action *ggrrr*

I hope it will not happen so very often. Usually I am rather Me :)

20. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    It depends on a few things. If it was my own dog and it was just a puppy or a young dog then I would probably save it, especially if it was an old man. If it was a young man or someone in his teens/20's and the dog was old then I would most likely save the man.