Would Star Wars have been as successful without Han Solo?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Nov 10, 2007.

?

Would Star Wars have been as popular without Han Solo?

1. Of course it would! What you on about?!

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Would have barely made a difference!

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. It would have made a BIG difference!

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. There would have been no Star Wars at all!!!!

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. Who's Han Solo?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    No you don't understand, you know whow Han talks about the events of Ord Mantell inthe beginning. All what happened there, that wouldn't have been Han's anymore. It wouldn't be like, Dash is there, he is new! No, Leia would have known him for a long time, just it would not have been present on screen. That's how also the love interest began with Han and Leia, something was already between them but that began off screen, between A New Hope and Empire. That wouldn't be different if it was Dash and Leia. Also, we're not really talking about replacements, cause how you describe Han as a rogue is very simple. Dash would be different of course, he is different. So that would make him more unique instead of just a replacement.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    The thing is we alread know Han from the first film, so in the second the development between films can be assumed - you have already been doing it whilst waiting for the next film. But with a new character, the love interest - to be done well - could not be randomly added in, the film would have lost substance

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Love interest?! Everybody at that time was speculating something was going to happen between Leia and Luke, nobody knew they were related... There were even pictures shortly coming out before the film of them kissing so their love was more likely than that of Han and Leia

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    To be honest...without Harrison Ford I don't think certain parts of the film would have been as fun.

As for the character. Well he is quite unique and adds a certain flair and manliness to the film that adds to it's awesomeness. To be honest, I can't quite imagine not having Han Solo.

5. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    As Anakin said, if Han had not been in any of the movies, or just one, it would not be such a big deal in my opinion. The story would have been adapted and changed around it, and he would not have been missed. And yeah his 'manliness' lol Would have been replaced with Dash Rendar. I love Han as a character too, but to say there is 'no star wars' without him is just silly. If he wasn't there, you wouldn't miss him. Cause you couldn't have predicted him or watched the films saying 'Damn, I wish there were more manly dudes in this!' lol :p

6. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Padmé, I agree with you that adaptations would have occurred. My point is that movie goers would have gone to see episode V knowing that Dash was only there because Ford wouldnt play the Han part. Would Star Wars have suffered greatly if this occurred? No. Would the box office suffer a drop in attendance? No. But GL couldnt have hidden the fact that he changed the story to suite what actors were available at the time, rather than because he wrote it that way.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well mostly you are right, but change the story? No there would hardly be any changes... Remember the scene where Jabba talk to Han in episode IV was only revealed in the special edition, so of his debt at that time wasn't revealed until episode V, so nothing had to be changed, it would only be that Dash would have that debt to Jabba, not Han... So he would have been Lando's buddy, get betrayed, frozen in carbonite, get in love with leia... everything, cause as for character dept, Han didn't have that much in ep IV a lot of the characters didn't have so much character dept as episode IV was their introduction.

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I agree with Anakin on this, but also as you said jim1961, George Lucas would not be able to hide the fact that Dash was created because Harrison wouldn't do the part. But then again, he wouldn't try to hide it, and secondly, so what? Doesn't make Star Wars any less great. I mean the character switching has already happened in Star Wars but in a much smaller way. Captain Panaka for example from Episode I, was meant to be in Episodes II & III also, but due to the actors contract commitments to the British TV show Holby City, he wasn't able to meet the shootings for those Episodes. So his character was replaced by Captain Typho. Doesn't 'change' anything, even though he is a smaller character.

Also, for Episode III, George Lucas tried to get Dennis Lawson (who played Wedge in Episodes IV - VI) to play Captain Antilles, who was brother in law to Bail Organa and brother to Queen Breha (Leia's adopted mother). Again he too was also in the show Holby City and was unable to appear in the movie, so another actor was hired for Antilles. Although, if he had appeared in the movie, it would have meant that Captain Antilles of Alderaan was Wedge's father. That was why Lucas wanted Lawson for the part, as a nice little reference. But in the end it didn't happen, so Captain Antilles has no relation to Wedge Antilles now.

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Plus I think Ford would be seen as a stupid ass for pulling out if he did... Remember he wasn't such a respected actor at that time... He could even have lost the part of Indiana Jones which really brought him to the top!

10. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Not that he's going to, but if GL was to do episodes 7-9 and set them in the current del ray time line (40 years later or so), I think Ford would be the most reluctant of the original caste to buy into it.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    He already confirmed that... He said about the same as Ewan Mcgregor did about the prequels... He loved to do it, but if he had to do it again, he would refuse...