Would Star Wars have been as successful without Han Solo?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Nov 10, 2007.

?

Would Star Wars have been as popular without Han Solo?

1. Of course it would! What you on about?!

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Would have barely made a difference!

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. It would have made a BIG difference!

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. There would have been no Star Wars at all!!!!

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. Who's Han Solo?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well, many speak of Han Solo as the best character of the Star Wars saga. In fact, it's all about Harrison Ford isn't it lol He has the witty charm as they say, he has the humour and a furry sidekick lol But that doesn't really matter. But would, as the title of this thread says, Star Wars have been as successful had Han Solo not been a character?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Do you mean Han Solo The Character or Mr. Ford playing the character?
    If you mean The Character, then yes Star Wars as we know it would not exist as the character is a pivital roll - he affects the world and envirnoment around him; as opposed to, say, a character like Jar Jar who does not affect the world around him, but is more affected by the world on him

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    A bit of both, if you can elaborate on each, then that would be good.

4. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Well look at it this way:
    the character of Han Solo - this character changes the world around him, he promotes action and provides an element of change in the story line. For example, he is responcible for taking Luke of Tatooine, he is responcible for saveing Luke at the end of A New Hope, he takes Leiah out of Hoth - he performs all those actions, without him another character(s) would be needed to fill the space.
    On the other hand a character like Chewy or JarJar does not really provide as many of these type of actions; they have thier place and make contributions, but in the end the events surrounding them move them along more than they force the events along.

As for the actor, an actor always make their role, a good actor in a poor script can still do well, just as a poor actor in a good script can slaughter a role. Harrison Ford carries the character well, he is a rogue, but easily lovable. He provides a romance aspect to the role, which again works well, though is aided by the fact that in the first films it is the only real romance played upon after Hoth - granted there is the Luke-Leiha romance, but this is only lightly touched upon at the start of Empire.

In the end I feel that another actor could have played the role, Harrison Ford is not the only actor that could, but to replace the character of Han Solo would be very difficult and require significant changes to the script - and I suspect that whilst the character of a rogue would be dropped, whatever they chose to replace would be performing the same actions, just with a different persona.

I hope that makes some sense, its 12:00 at night

5. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Personally I dont think it would have made a difference. Because you would be used to the film without the character. Just as we cannot debate about whether SW would have been more popular had an imaginary character that we make up on the spot was added lol The truth is, we can never know. But I dont think the success of SW lies on the shoulders of Han Solo or Harrison Ford, though yeah I bet it would boost his ego if it did lol

6. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd say he was important, but not imperative to the story. Some of the things he did were crucial to the story line, but another character could have done these things as well. In fact, I may have liked the story better. In my view of things, Hans exceptional piloting exploits would have been more believable had he been a force sensitive. Some scenes, particularly the one where he surprises Darth Vader during the attack on the Deathstar just isnt that believable otherwise. The most given aspect of his character, imo, was his humor. The story needed it to defuse some of its darker aspects and other than 3po and r2d2, he was its main source.

7. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    harrision ford helped a bit. he is the most awesome actor ever XD

Would have barely made a difference!

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well the reason I brought this up, is I was reading Shadows of the Empire recently...and many may not know it but Dash Randor was a potential character for the Star Wars movies. He would have been the "Han Solo" figure if Harrison Ford decided to stop when Empire was being created as he wanted Han Solo to die on several occasions...He even tried to talk George into it to let him die in ROTJ. So I wonder if Dash Rendar could match up with Han Solo. Cause now you're thinking 'no!' but would you think the same at that time? Dash Rendar was created by George Lucas to create the love relationship with a scoundrel (him and Leia).

9. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Han Solo (Ford) being Han Solo (character), is kinda important.
    The character is very important, and things would not have worrked without him.
    As for Ford, I can imagine nobody else as Han Solo.
    So, choosing to focus more on the character, who is brilliantly played by Harrison Ford, I'd say there'd be no Starwars. As we know it, at least. It would probably have less quality, and not the object of praise throughout the whole wide world :p

(Perhaps that's a bit extreme, but yeah yeah:p)

10. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I honestly don't believe Star Wars would have been as successful without a fairly badass anti-hero like Han. Sure it would have still been pretty big, but it wouldn't have scored as big with the teens without Han

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I don't know...as I said... with a character as Dash Rendar it could have easily been as good or maybe even better as it is now

12. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    But at that time, when Ford wished to die lol, Han Solo was so popular that the reactions from the crowd... well, say no more:p

Metaphore: It would have been something quite similar to the reactions poor little Jar-Jar Binks got :p

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    well no Ford at first didn't want to die, he just didn't want to return, so Empire would have started without Han Solo, making up the story that he returned back to his smuggling job and Dash would have taken it over as a pilot, scoundrel type in the alliance. At that point Han Solo wasn't that popular, at least not as he is now. Han Solo really got popular after Empire because of the martyr role he played and the charming love of princess Leia, cause he is more macho in a new hope.

14. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well in Shadows of the Empire Dash looks very cool and he is really one of the characters that you don't want to see dying(although we talked about that death scene in the last issue of Shadows of the Empire)I'd say that the universe is big enough for both Han and Dash and so is the Alliance!;)

He could be used in a Star Wars sequel trilogy,but again in the sequels you could have a lot of new characters like Kyle Katarn,the solo twins or other characters.Of course it depends on the time period but anyway Dash Rendar was a very cool character.Thing is that if they killed Solo in the Empire Strikes Back and then try to introduce Rendar to replace him,in my opinion it would suck.Because you'd see a kind of repeation of the scoundrel-kind of character.Anyway Han Solo was essential and if you think about it he's the one who saved Luke from Vader and let him destroy the Death Star!;)

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Yes but do you really think George Lucas would have allowed for Luke to get his ass kicked by Vader at that moment... If Han Solo wasn't there, he would have been saved by another character or he would have worked himself out of it by another situation.

Concerning Han dying in Empire, no that's not what would have happened. Just Han wouldn't have been in Empire at all. You would just have heard that he buggered off or something. Harrison wasn't sure he wanted to return at all. That's why Lucas created the character of Dash Rendar. It would have started the film kind of the same as with Leia and Han, you would see how Dash and her had a history that had taken place off screen.

It was Return of the Jedi where Han was going to die. Harrison really wanted it. Also, Lando was going to die as he was escaping with the Millenium Falcon from the second Death Star, it was even filmed and shown to test audiences. But mainly with the children, they were not able to 'celebrate' the defeat of the Empire because they were too focused on the fact Lando was killed. So they decided to go for the happier ending. But there is still evidence of both story lines. Han looking to the Falcon and saying "Just got a feeling.... Like I'm not going to see her again" etc.... Was placed in because Lucas wasn't sure which way he was going to go. But early on he decided not to kill Han, despite Harrison's protests lol But that quote was left to cause suspicion that maybe Han would die, but in fact it was going to be that Lando and the Falcon were destroyed.

16. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think I would have liked it better if Lando and the Falcon were destroyed. One of the things that bothered me about the story line was that things came out a bit too neatly at the end. Considering the odds of the whole affair, some main characters giving their life to the ordeal would have made thing more believable.

Ive read Shadows of the Empire, and although I liked the Dash character, I wouldnt have liked him as simply a Han Solo replacement. And having Han played such a forefront role in episode IV, it would not have been easy to convince me that Han just went back to smuggling and thats that. Given whats written in the Han Solo Trilogy (A.C. Crispin), he could not have gone back to Jabba for a job anyway. If fact, he was black listed ( I think).

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well that is what you say now, but if it was done that way, it wouldn't bother you... If they changed it, of course it would be a major drag! Han is the man! But would we really think the same if they indeed had gotten another guy... Cause after ep IV indeed Han Solo was a popular figure, but not as popular as people claim to be... It was Luke Skywalker who stole the show in the 4rth episode. Han became a lot more popular due to Empire and if he wasn't in it at all, things would be a lot different... People would even started to hate Han the fact he would have buggered off...

18. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My point was that had Ford refused to do another Star Wars movie, everyone would have known it before they saw episode v. And the transition to a replacement character would have been an obvious revision in the storyline. One that wasnt intended, but became necessary. This in itself, would have hurt hopes of Dash ever catching anyones fancy. The character would have been viewed by many as "The best that could be made of the situation", rather than "What a great new character".

19. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    No, I think they would see him as a nice replacement. Not as the best they could make it. After all, you think of it as now when Han would not be in the other films, it would indeed be terrible, but at that time, you'd have not known any better. Just like we can't complain that there was no main wookiee character in the prequels, it's not there so we can't judge it.

20. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    But Anakin, visually speaking, you are replacing one key character image - that of the lovable rogue - with the same character image. Granted different actors and dialects will act as a difference between the two, but at the end of the day, the fact that one was a replacement for another would be very apparant. Now if Mr. Ford were to have left, there would also be the problem of developing the love interest with leia - in film 1 we are introduced to the characters - film 2 is development of those key characters that we have met, in addition there is the long period, story wise, betweem the events of the two films, which allows for the characters in film 2 to take on a deeper role. To suddenly try and reintroduce a new character, whilst maintaining the integraty of an established character such as Leiah without losing her image would be tricky to carry off succesully in a single film.