WOT, Sword of Trutth, huge series...

Discussion in 'General Books' started by sepi_1982, Nov 1, 2008.

1. sepi_1982

sepi_1982 the French Fantasy Guy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Thus far i have been reading short series: trilogy or so.
    Well ok, Drizzt Saga was more than a trilogy but we can separate those books in trilogies of their own: Homeland, Icewind dale...

My question is aout WOT and Sword of Truth which gather more than 10 books!
    Is it worth reading?

Is it medieval fantastic? DO we find elves, dwarf, gnomes, dragon, magic...?
    I saw differents opinions in this forum about these books and would like to start a thread about it.

regards,
    seb

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I can't speak to The Sword of Truth, because I've only read the first book and wasn't overly impressed.

The Wheel of Time I can adress more fully, though.

WOT is pre-industrial fantasy, although not necessarily medieval. It contains a great deal of magic, but no elves, dwarves, or gnomes. It does include some fantastic races, but they are original. I've read the prequel and the first eleven books - book twelve should be available in another year - and there have been references to dragons, but none have appeared so far. I believe that WOT is worth reading, but don't think of it as twelve seperate novels; it was intended as a single enormous novel. You're better off reading the novels closely together.

3. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    The Sword of Truth Series is very good. If you are into Dragons, Fighting, Wizards, and Midevil times then this set is great. I'm a huge fan of the series and I plan on doing a re-read this coming Winter. If you want more information on the Sword of Truth Series there is a separate section on this forum. We'd be happy to answer any questions you have. In regards to the Wheel of Time Series, that is yet another great series. I personally loved the first four books but I didn't care for any of the books after that. There are a lot of characters to keep track of with Robert Jordan. I hope this helps!

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Hi, I have not read the Sword of Truth series and so cannot comment.
    Wheel of Time, I got upto book 8 and at the time that was as far as the series went.
    Yes in parts it is superb, however I feel that Jordan messes about too much and could have condensed the series considerably without detremental effect.You sometimes feel like saying ,"Get on with it man".
    I have not felt the urge to read the books that have been published since however as there are far too many other books and series to read and too many other authors who's style I preffer.
    The best of which ,in my opinion ,is Robin Hobb.

5. Self

Self New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can't stand Goodkind, and while Jordan loses his way at times, I like WOT. I hope Sanderson does a good job with the conclusion.

6. Ashar87

Ashar87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Read both, and enjoyed both. They each have their highs and lows.

WOT has great character development, and intricate plot line, and was a fun (if tedious at times) My biggest critisizm is that Jordan leaves little to the imagination, he lays everything out. If the main character is going to fight somone, you will know the placement of each blade of grass in the field they are fighting on. All in all I believe it's woth it.

Sword of Truth is another great series. It has a fairly fast pased plot (though fairly predictable), and well thought out characters. It's a fun read, though Goodkind does love to preach in his books, so be prepared for a sermon.

I recommend both series, though personally I'd recommend reading Goodkind first.