World without magic?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by wanderingmagus, Nov 7, 2009.

?

Does Magic Exist?

1. Yes, and I practice it/ I know it exists

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No, and it did not in the past

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. It used to and still does

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. It used to but doesn't anymore

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Maybe, but I haven't seen it

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say Easter was a pagan costume , I just said the name was taken after a pagan deity.

2. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Oh okay. Sorry there. I should have realized that it is only the issue of naming right from the start. >.>

3. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Science did not kill magic! It is the modern practice of magic. Most old age scientists were burned at a stake for being condemned as witches and practitions of the occult, in ancient times science and magic were equal in the art known as alchemy.
    Science is the modern application of what people believed could make magic real >.<
    Science and magic go hand in hand and I don't give a crap what the media says about it. They aren't opposites.

4. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Science and magic don't go hand in hand, as one is the replacement of the other. It isn't something completely new or different, it's simply a new look over the same thing. A renaming, if you will.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Ranger of Ithilien

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Obviously this is a very hard poll to vote on correctly as it doesn't compensate for everyone's different views and definitions of magic.
    I don't believe magic - in it's common, very stereotypical form - has ever existed; yet this is a hard one... If we discover something new in the field of physics, or an unexplained "natural" phenomena occurs, then this surely crosses the boundaries in terms of being defined as "magic".
    1. It defies all current scientific laws we know and causes us to revise and rewrite them.
    2. (As a result of number 1.) It conflicts with your current beliefs.
    When you think of it like this, "magic" is possible. See, we could discover when we stand on our head in a field, dressed in vinegar soaked lycra, stirring a cup of tea while reciting the alphabet in mandarin, backwards; results in the ability of a person to levitate. Now that's highly unlikely, but no one has every done that (I doubt). So you see I believe that any new scientific discovery could potential up set the laws and rules we've set for our world in the modern day. You would have probably called it magic when Thomas Edison turned on the light bulb for the first time, or if you saw the Wright brothers take flight.
    - Exactly!
    I guess "Magic" is "Magic" until proven scientific and debunked by the inevitable quantum theory that will be proposed by a professor.

I am a Christian though, and I think there is another way you can look at this, from a miraculous perspective. I don't think many of the miracles that god does can be debunk or explained (of course many can, but that isn't the point at all). Therefore maybe you could say I believe in "magic", to say I believe that god is a miracle worker and that he has the power to do anything. But for most Christians if I were to say - God's miracles are magic. They might take it the wrong way, because what a lot of people see as magic is the, Princess-to-the-frog-fairy-tale, we-all-know-it's-a-load-of-rubbish-really, kind of thing. So i'm probably best off not defining God's miraculous work as magic or magical.

I guess I assume from the title that you meant, wands and witches and cauldrons, that kind'o thing. So I answered: No, It Never Existed.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Magic, I think, is a relative term.

Magic is something like unexplained energy. We don't know how it works, but still, we observe that it exsists. And, thus, or at least in my opinion, it is a matter of perspective.

Now, we know a lot about energy (and mass - which turns out to be energy as well) nowadays, not entirely without credit to Newton, Curie, Einstein, the likes. But before that, a lot of the phenomena they described already exsist - but we, that is humanity, didn't have an answer to the questions regarding them. So, from a perspective preceeding these minds for their respective forms of energy, these might be considered to be magic.

In retrospect, of course, these weren't magic. Whether they were indeed magical before is food for philosophers.

Beyond that, I don't believe in classical magic in an alchemists sort of way. Try as he might, Paracelsus really didn't know what he was doing and made it up as he went along - so much can be traced back. And the same goes for his peers. And alchemists really were the ones trying hardes outside the clerics...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Necromancer

Necromancer Ranger of Ithilien

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, great answer.

Search tags for this page

the world without magic