World of Anime

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by J.W. Golan, Jan 17, 2019.

1. J.W. Golan

J.W. Golan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't seen any threads on the subject, so I thought I'd add one of my own.

Although it really wasn't "a thing" when I was young, I've found in recent years that I can find a lot of sources for inspiration from Japanese anime. Not because of how some of the stories necessarily portray fantasy-fiction worlds (although some do) - but because they demonstrate that serious topics and ideas can be tackled by an art form that many assume to be simplistic or childish.

Take for example In This Corner of the World - an anti-war drama, depicting the horrors of war from the viewpoint of a young woman living in World War II Japan. This was a story that would have been a fantastic drama if it was live action - but it was told in anime, because this art form disarms the audience, allowing them to get closer to what is really a very depressing subjet, and to absorb the story without realizing (at least at first) how weighty and serious it really is.

Or to take some other recent examples, there's Your Name (Kimi no Na wa) - easily one of the best motion pictures to be released in Japan, animated or otherwise, in the past decade. Or A Silent Voice, another drama that's much deeper than many people might expect from animation.

There are so many examples, from both anime movies and television series, of exceptional storytelling and world-building. Lots of people might be familiar with the Studio Ghibli films, like Howl’s Moving Castle or Spirited Away, but there are so many others as well. Movies like Wolf Children, When Marnie was There, or Children who Chase After Lost Voices. Or incredibly done series, like Spice and Wolf, Madoka Magica, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Re:Zero, or one of my all-time favorites, Violet Evergarden. Ever wonder what would happen if a killer automoton developed PTSD while trying to adjust to a post-war world? Watch Violet Evergarden and find out.

Anime is an art form, much like Fantasy-Fiction is an art form. It can be used to tell light, fun stories, or to probe the darkest corners of the human mind. What makes both of these art forms so similar, is that they are both boundless in their possibilities, and they are both too often ignored or denigrated by the mainstream academics and media pundits, as being less deep than what they really are. The purpose of art is to shed light onto our human condition - good or bad. That, after all, is why we tell stories.