world government

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by volksmenner, Nov 30, 2007.

1. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    world government. admirable or abhorrent, the words invoke passion. as radical as the proposition may be, world government is a matter of discussion both in private and public sectors just as it has been over the span of decades if not centuries.

but what is world government and what does it mean? is it the eventuality of civilization and the answer to all of humankind's ills? is it for that matter even feasible? what say you?

since the dawn of civilization, the world has been progressing to a world government. such organization is the reality of systems. demonstrated in the evolution of the universe, the evolution of life and the evolution of civilization. simulated in cellular automata such as "the game of life." in each case simple systems coalesce into evermore advance systems this phenomenon has yet to cease if ever it should at all.

in terms of government the nation state is not so suddenly a thing of the past as they too have began to coalesce into super-states ie. the european union and african union. and of course there are the united nations, world bank, world trade organization, world health organization, international monetary fund, north atlantic treaty organization, north american free trade agreement, central american free trade agreement, free trade area of the americas ect. ect. so on and so forth.

again, is world government the eventuality of civilization and is this a good thing or not so good thing?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well you see...globalisation is actually one step in the creation of a worldwide government.

Strike the traditions of every nation,destroy their history,minimize their powera.create one religion for all people,make every human a "citizen of the world" etc.

3. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I definetly think globalisation is a good thing, howver it shouldn't be lead by one country alone, but with all nations bringing their own heritage and creating the new order of the world.
    I myself am a cosmopolit, and i think that real progress can only happen when the world unites, which has started, as you stated, with US, EU, African Union etc., and it will only get bigger.

So, the world's government is inevitable, and would in the end result in mostly positive matters.

4. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Good thing. How could it be seen as bad?

It would be rather inefficient, true, but this would be easily made up for by the lessening conflicts of interests between countries and the appalling waste of resources, life and technology that result.

5. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well if I start talking about why it's bad and why some people want to make globalisation a reality some of you will start laughing and say that you don't believe it "fairy-tales".But it's becoming reality.

You see globalisation is being done so that the world will become united in a way that one man would easily rule it.

6. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Ehhmm could you elaborate why you think this way?

7. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I have my doubts on the world government simply due to the nature of mankind.

We're all different, with different tastes, wants, beliefs etc. Therefore there will always be conflict in one form or another between differing people.

This isnt a bad thing, in fact its mirrored in nature, biodiversity is the key to the evolutionary process. Unification brings both benefits and flaws with it.

In the organisations already mentioned there is conflict all the time.

Lets look at it this way, how many collaborative governing systems have supplanted national governments entirely? international organisations are great for international relations, but they won't relace local systems, and if they did it would be a disaster, what works for one group of people will not work for everyone.

So I think a single unified government is impossible, but a union of all nations in some committee is not so far fetched.

8. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean? In my country at least we have a nesting sytem that seems to work. We have regional government, state government and national government, each level having progressively more power. A gobal government would merely be adding a few more levels to the system.

Of course, it would only work if all the groups which are currentl countries could accept a similar government system, or else it would be impossible to determine the officials or their duties.

9. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

exactly, and not every society is adapted to the same governing system. nor would many be happy with 'outsiders' having control over their society

10. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    the farther removed elected officials are from the constituency the less effective the service. this is of course assuming those charged with administrating world government would be elected. "all politics is local." if any words were ever true might it be these of former speaker of the house thomas o'neill.

government is never the answer and more government is definitely that much more egregious to the precepts of liberty. the progress of society begins with the individual and progresses with the community. strictly bottom up. for within the intimate climate of community are the specifics of such community recognized and addressed. as government moves beyond the scope of local into county, state and federal, the role of government should in correlation become less and less.

the reasons for this first check and balance of the people is that all governments are fatally flawed in that they are the creation of imperfect human beings inclined to all sorts of badness and corruption.

should government at the federal level make a mistake of law, rather than strictly affecting the locality, it affects the nation at large. a federal mistake of law is that much more difficult to remedy and redress than local. too, it is much more difficult to escape the consequences of said federal law. with world government there is no escape period. there is no escape period. there is no escape period.

i understand all the reasons that make world government attractive upon first sight, those philosophical and scientifical, but i argue that beneath the veneer of impossible promises there lie a monster both grotesque and obscene.

11. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I really dont care about world government one way or the other. I personally dont see it happening anytime soon. So many countries are so vastly different and will seemingly never join forces under one government.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    A world governement... It's not a fairytale... It's not unlikely, but not in our time no... To have such a governement we should drive first to world peace (very difficult but not impossible either). And while you have such a governement... It might be easier to accomplish, the difficult part would be creating such a governement while the world is still at such chaos

13. comfan

comfan New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    We have a system like that here in the U.S and they can't agree on how to handle certain things.
    I think that we are very far from a one world government. Too many cultural and religious differences.

14. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Never gonna happen. And humans being the corrupt beings that we are, finding leaders who are in it for the good of all rather than the drug of ultimate power would be nigh on impossible. Take the best and worst of your own government, and increase the scale. The good could be really good, but the bad would be appalingly bad.

Keep in mind that you should try and think of this from all points of view. All religions (or lack thereof), proudly historical nations, advanced modern nations, insular nations, global group-hug nations, militant nations, peaceful nation, rich nations, poor nations. Etc etc etc. What's fabulous for your country might ruin another.

15. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    We are becoming more imilar all the time.

The home country of corporations is relevant only in the tax they pay, nowadays. Countries worldwide are being pressured to adopt the declaration of Human rights. The effect of the internet is so obvious I'm not even going to go into it.

I predict in maybe a couple of generations people will seriously start considering intercountry governments. Slowly, we move forward.

16. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Globalisation is a good thing, IMO. However, I do not think a world government would be a good idea. As they say, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely." Can you imagine how bad things could turn if the leaders of the ENTIRE WORLD decided to abuse their power? I believe it's just a bad idea.