working on the final designs: dwarven broadsword

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by lordscottish, Jan 24, 2004.

1. lordscottish

lordscottish New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started to work on the final designs of the sword. The first one is the dwarven broadsword. The picture shows the crossguard and parts of the blade and the grip. The ornaments on the crossguard isnt final yet, the whole ornament is supposed to look like the one on the left side. :) The 2 runes in the center are made of pure mithril.
    I'm sorry I didn't do any reflections on the blade yet, they are very hard to paint and I will add them later with a 3d programm.
    criticism and comments are welcome, I will keep working on them and I'll post the pictures in this thread :)

(the first sworddesign is here: it's the sword on the left bottom)[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. King Eomer

King Eomer King of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That looks realy good though how do u no what a dwarven broadsword looks like appart from that that is a work of art IMO excelent work do u have a job of swordsmithing or something?.

3. lordscottish

lordscottish New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The design is inspired by gimlis axes, the description of dwarven swords in "the hobbit" and by the movie dwarven stuff design. They used very clear cristal-like and geometric forms.
    And i thought dwarves would use their swords in a very brutal and strength-based way so they won't have very sharp tips and they would have small pommels to move the balance point to the blade.

No, i don't have any swordsmithing experience yet :) I do graphic stuff for pc games. but that would be cool indeed :D

4. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    That looks cool, especially considering that you have only axe and architexture designs to work from. From the picture it looks like it has a huge fuller... I have three questions to quench a thirst for more info... Do the runes say something (didn't have time to try and translate them)? How long are you making the blade? If you look at it from the side what will the hilt look like (square, thin, ect)?

5. Fingolfin

Fingolfin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow thats fantastic, can i ask what programs you used to create the image?

6. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice, I'll be eager to see the finished product.