Women!

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Oeufa

Oeufa Cracked Egg

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Tinuviel said it much more eloquently than I ever could: Yes some girls f**k with guys heads, but some guys f**k with ours too. Both genders can be ambiguous, both can be irrational, ruled by the heart etc, but both can also be logical and calm. It comes down to the person, and anyone who says a blanket statement like "Boys are stupid" or "Women are so irrational!" is a sexist in my eyes.

End of.

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yes. You're right. Mea Culpa.

I decided not to react to this thread simply because I don't like stereotyping in general - and the mud slinging that goes with it in particular.

But, as I read, it just seemed all tongue-in-cheek to me. So I replied in that same fashion; scoring points for my team, I'll admit.

To be honest, I am no judge of character (though, possibly, as good as any) - especially where women are concerned. I'll probably overrationalise at my first try, blaming kids and hormones. So I am not even going to try that angle...

That being said, I think there's a constant misunderstanding between females and males. In my experience, it's much easier to explain things - important things - to males then it is to those of the opposite sex - and not only for reasons of sexual tension. Without too much generalisation, I think it's safe to say that there are a lot more men I can relate to then women. Which leads to misunderstandings and - in turn - to threads like these....

Ow... I don't like asterisks. I don't like ******* with heads either. Or having my head ******* around with - by either sex. In fact, most people will fail to do so - I am fairly insensitive when it comes to that. People should grow over that. Get a grip on your life.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I think I've opened Pandora's box :p

4. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Well, I am most relieved that your original post was tongue-in-cheek and not a true representation of your thoughts on the matter. I had hoped so, and reread the post a number of times looking for indication that it was indeed in jest. Perhaps, the fault lies with the medium, moreso than your post(and my interpretation of it). I am sure if we were standing face to face, or talking on the phone, or whatever, the tone would have been picked up easily.

I do agree that there is definately an ongoing misunderstanding between genders. By far and large we process and communicate differently. Of course, that in and of itself is a generalization and obviously there are many exceptions to the rule. Reading between the lines of your post(assuming I am reading it correctly and all, we have just identified that there are often miscommunication between genders;) )I think I can say that I agree with you in part. I do agree that more women are predispositioned to allow their emotions to play a larger role in communication than men. This of course has advantages and disadvantages, as emotions are not known for their constancy. I'll readily concede that that tendancy is probably more common in women than men. Although, I think there are select emotions that men are more prone to bring to the table in communication than women.

Another thing I can relate to you about is the preference and increased ability to communicate information to men in comparison to women. I am a woman(last I checked anyhow :halo:), yet, I do find it easier, on a whole, to convey information to men. Not because they are smarter or understand it better, but because I feel as if I can present an explanation and unless gaping holes present themselves in the explanation, it is generally just accepted and we move on. With women, the conversation tends to, errrr...expand. Perhaps it is my shining personality that just begs people to continue talking to me(that is sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear ;) ), but I find the conversation lasts much longer. However, despite the fact that I do find basic information exchanges to be easier/preferable with men, I far prefer communicating (rather than relaying info) with women. I think it is probably fair to say that many people will feel more comfortable communicating with a person who has the same tendancies as they do. And, to further complicate the situation, even though I prefer comminicating with women, I find it to be more draining and bothersome, so I tend to avoid it. LOL However, take my experience with a grain of salt as I have been accused of communicating like a man more than I care to admit. I, like you, am immune to bullshit and am not really afraid to bow out of a conversation/friendship/relationship to avoid it.

Wow, that got long. But, I am glad that I can keep you up there on that pretty little pedestal I keep you on. ;)

5. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Now, your opinion, based on the posts in this thread, is one that I won't even bother debating. Sometimes there just isn't a point.

6. jake1964

jake1964 Old enough to be your dad

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    As do we. ;) :p

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well... I suppose you will have to consider the post that preceded mine - the one by clouded_perception as well to understand it indeed was not meant as serious as you took it. She made short work of male reliability by stating we were always wrong. Well... She had me triggered to make that post ;) - not that we are indeed reliable, of course...

With the best of efforts to leave it behind you in this post, of course ;)

It all wouldn't be too bad if the culture of conversation wasn't under heavy influence of all this. It seems to me that guys will more easily insult each other in jest because, through slightly more emotional stability on our part, the risk of someone actually taking offense is smaller and, thus, the margin of error wider. Now, most guys (abandon hope for those who don't) know this and try to adapt - but, of course, fail miserably on account of not knowing what to say otherwise. Though, of course, that might be just personal frustration...

Yes; this is very interesting. Men seem to be communicating to exchange information. Women, on the other hand, seem to take it much more as a social occasion; a bonding factor. (Not that I would know.... let's just say I read a lot ;)). Even though even that is stereotyping - whether cultural or genetic - it does seem to provide a rule-of-thumb.

But yes - for the few times that we have, I must say that conversing with you went remarkably easy. Not that, at the time, I put any more thought in that, of course...

heh - I'd almost take a challenge to be taken off. I'm not a man for pedestals....

Anyway; I think this conversation has shown beautifully that women at least have a larger tendancy to converse; seeing the vast amounts of text you have contributed :p

though.... you could try to translate them to English?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    What? And ruin all of my feminine mystique?! ;)

Yes, I easily could/should have taken in to account the posts preceeding yours(namely CP). I think it was the approval and agreement that yours got(seemingly sincere on at least a couple of accounts) that had me scratching my head and wondering if you were serious. Then, I was all, "No way is Turumbar so narrow-minded and sexist. Right? Right?!" And, whether you like it or no, I generally find your posts to be well-thought out and very creditable and respectfu. And, it is my pedestal I will put whomever I want on it! :p.

9. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Now, see, there is no doubt in my mind about the seriousness of this post. I know you mean it! Therefore, I think we have to talk about it; talk about why you feel that way, how that makes me feel, what feelings this disregard for what we have to say really represents....

Have I scared you straight yet? :eek:

10. jake1964

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    Nah. After 25 years of marriage, I'm pretty much numb. :p

11. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Now, see, there is no doubt in my mind about the seriousness of this post. I know you mean it! Therefore, I think we have to talk about it; talk about why you feel that way, how that makes me feel, what feelings this disregard for what we have to say really represents....

Have I scared you straight yet? :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. jake1964

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    Ya gotta quit messin' with the admin buttons, Sugar.

Go back a few posts and you'll see what I mean. ;)

and she says we can't do two things at once. sheesh :rolleyes:

13. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    *groans* Someday I will master the art of editting my posts, putting quotes from more than one person in to one post, and not duplicating said posts when trying to fix them. Today is not that day. LOL

This is helping my case any is it...

14. jake1964

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    :p lolol

15. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Oh crap. LOL If I was not as nice of a person as I am, I would edit my post and make you seem senile. :p Lucky for you, I am willing to take the fall.

16. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, we were just messing around, guys. Neither of us actually meant the sexist remarks we were making. :)

(I'm going into science -- I couldn't afford to be sexist even if I wanted to. It's still a heavily male-dominated industry, although improving in gender equality in areas such as biology and environmental science. There's a pretty high chance that most of my employers, investors and publishers will be men.)

17. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hey hey hey, that's a bit too much use of the F word for my liking :D

18. sinfulwolf

sinfulwolf New Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Mub doesn't like shrinks...

19. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member