Wizard's Rules

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Confessor, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Please discuss the rules of a Wizard in this section.

* Wizard's First Rule, Wizard's First Rule
    "People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true."

* Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears
    "The greatest harm can result from the best intentions."

* Wizard's Third Rule, Blood of the Fold
    "Passion rules reason."

* Wizard's Fourth Rule, Temple of the Winds
    "There is magic in forgiveness- the magic to heal! In the forgiveness you grant,
    and more so in the forgiveness you receive."

* Wizard's Fifth Rule, Soul of the Fire
    "Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

* Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen
    "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."

* Wizard's Seventh Rule, The Pillars of Creation
    "Life is the future, not the past."

* Wizard's Eighth Rule, Naked Empire
    "Deserve victory."

* Wizard's Ninth Rule, Chainfire
    "Contradictions don't exist, in whole or in part."

• Like Like x 1
  2. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i've enjoyed the sword of truth series due to the excellent characters and intimate story but also for the wizard's rules.

what makes the wizard's rules so very interesting are that they not only apply to the fantasy world of sword of truth, but they very well apply to reality. my favorite happen to be wizard's first rule, wizard's third rule and wizard's seventh rule. in fact, i remeber wizard's first rule everyday as i deal with people. the third and sixth are demonstrated in my screen name rvsp which translates to reason vs. passion. and the philosophy of the seventh sometimes carries me through the day.

3. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I agree, not only applicable to the story, but to real life too.

Wizard's First Rule is definitely one you need to pay heed to. People are indeed stupid, and so you need to be aware of when someone is using it, or falling prey to it. It can be quite entertaining using it though, if only in jest :)
    The second is also very true, and I'm sure many can speak from experience. I know I can.

My favourite Rule though, in number 6. I think it's important, for the most part, not to allow emotion to hinder your judgement. Making reasoned decisions is something I practice on a daily basis, and more often than not, sets me on the right path.

4. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    In regards to these rules, considering I've only read up to Soul of the Fire - I'm only going to comment on the ones I know.

Rule 1 - People are stupid. Yes indeed they are stupid because people do Stupid things. Like suing each other over matters of a dog who has gone to the bathroom in her yard. Some people do not use common sense - for example a couple doesn't want to have a baby so they don't use birthcontrol and unexpectedly the girl gets pregnant. A person who doesn't think before she speaks could get into trouble with what she says. I could go on and on but those are a few examples.

Rule 2 - The greatest harm can result from the best intentions. I've done this before in life and let's just say that my intensions were by far good but as a result a friend of mine was injuried. Pretty much I told her she was a low down tramp and would have fun with anything on two legs. She didn't believe me but I pointed out to her many situations and the consequenses she had to bear witness to. She didn't believe me and thought I was out for one of her current boyfriends at that time. So now she holds this gigantic grudge against me and our friendship just couldn't continue. I've learned from this and I treat this rule with the utmost respect now.

Rule 3 - Passion rules reason. This at time has been part of my life but I don't live my life based on this one rule. It would be unfair to my fiancee and the ones I love. Sometimes my passion for what I do in life gets in the actual way of life. Therefore I keep this one in mind when I do what I love - i think of the consequenses.

Rule 4 - There is magic in forgiveness - the magic to heal. In forgiveness you grant & more so in the forgiveness you receive.
    For this rule I see where it applies and where it doesn't apply in life. If someone decided to bang my car door when I'm not there I forgive them for being so stupid and not watching when they get out of there car. But If I am in the car when they do it and when they don't apologize or say they'll fix it then i'll get angry with them. I can see where this rule applies to the forgivness of those who have hurt you or you hurt them.

Rule 5 - Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie. This one pretty much speaks for itself yet I have no real way of explaining it. I'll think on this one some more.

And there are my answers as of now. When I get to the other rules and I've read through the books they are in I will then post my thoughts. Until then - good day.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006