Wizard's First Rule

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Confessor, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Great! I hope you enjoy it! :D

2. Nathan Rahl

Nathan Rahl Prophet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is definitely the book which inspired me to read all the series. I like Goodkind's long, thick books because of all the detail.

I'm up to Soul of the Fire right now.

3. CleptoLoki

CleptoLoki New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that all of Goodkind's SOT series was magnificent, but Wizard's First Rule was ,by far, my favorite of all of them. Even if he had ended his series with just it I still would have loved it. Mr. Goodkind is an amazing author and I hope that he writes again soon.

4. HighWizard-Silvinesh

HighWizard-Silvinesh New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wizard's First Rule

-First Wizard Zeddicus Zu'l Zorandor (Chapter 36, Page #397 US Hard Cover)

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Awesome book and great author! I have every copy of the series and enjoyed them all, including the wizard's rules. I recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy and has a passion for reading. There are many ideas within each of the books, with common themes that relate to living your life to the fullest. Freewill, looking to the furture, which represents life and not to the past. Ideals to live by and possibly learn from.

Also, on a side note, I heard that Terry Goodkind will be releasing a new series of books, possibly something more contemporary. I believe the first novel is coming out sometime this fall. Can't wait to see what he has created next!

Take care everyone.

5. Devek

Devek New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic, Awesome, and a pleasure to read. It has it all Love, Hate, Life, Death, revenge and a whole lot more.

Their are many parts of this book I loved, but I found it hard to read the Denna segment as I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain. I'm about to read it again for the third time and will more then likely skip from just after his capture to when he releases Denna.

Characters I loved Zed, Rachel, Kahlan, Shota, the Mud People.

6. shadowchild423

shadowchild423 Lord Taylor Ralos Soldera

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As I read the series more, grow older, and improve my own writing style, I become more critical of Terry Goodkind's work. Don't get me wrong, Faith of the Fallen is my favorite book of all time, and the Chainfire Trilogy was amazing, though long and somewhat slow if you aren't into the science that is magic in the land of SOT. When someone says Richard's flaws, I can't help to think that he doesn't have enough to make him human, neither does Kahlan. The fews flaws they have are almost shared between them, like their tendency to put each other above everything, and their naivety of the situation at points. Kahlan is a little quick to make decisions, and Richard is much too overprotective, but real people have so many more flaws than that.

And don't get me started on the evil people of the book. Half of them worship the Keeper, and all of them have too many flaws to be human. And it is strange that almost all the bad people are so good looking. That is expected of the main characters, but I find it weird that almost every other character is good looking also.

I am writing my own book, and I have come to realize that the bad guy doesn't have to have more flaws than the good guy, and the good guy can have a normal amount of flaws. The main antagonist has just as many flaws and is just as human as the protagonist.

Two other things that get me a little miffed about this series. As the series goes on, Richard gets more and more preachy. Towards the end of Confessor, I was thinking 'If I have to read one more thing about how Jagang is wrong, and Richard is right, and here is why, I'm going to scream.'

The other thing, did anyone notice that Goodkind kept adding more and more things in to the point where is was redundant? Honestly, the series could have been finished in six to seven books, not eleven. Besides those things, I think he is a pretty good writer who does a great job of detail and character interaction.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  7. chongjasmine

chongjasmine New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just finished wizard's first rule a few days ago.
    I think it is an interesting read.
    Yet, it is a bit too sexually violence for my taste.

8. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Well guys and gals... Here goes, you'll probably disagree and kinda hate me for it but, I don't like the Sword of Truth, not just in the "well kinda don't like" way, I mean I really, really don't like it... At all...

Terry Goodkind for me translates into: Insanely Right Wing Creator Of The Most Unheroic Hero Ever

Just for the record, I was blown away by the Legend of the Seeker TV series, which was what made me read the books in the first place - lush landscapes, awesome adventures, great characters and an unusual brand of magic.

So yeah, I liked the TV show. But essentially the writers of the show have went through Goodkind's series and painstakingly plucked out scraps here and there, or in some way revamped them into a form that wouldn't send the audience scuttiling to reruns of Lost.

Original books.... Well... I don't have a nice way to say it: A big repellent stew of Mary Sues and Gary Stus, rancid fantasy cliches, blatant ripoffs from better authors, and a protagonist so villainous that at first I thought there was no hero of the story and it was intended as some Grimdark-everyone-is-evil piece. Furthermore, Goodkind does not consider himself a fantasy writer - he is writing Big Deep Fiction Of Great Wisdom DISGUISED as fantasy, and he infuses everything with insanely fanatical personal philosophies. I can't think of ANYONE who would actualy consider it HEROIC and GOOD to mow down unarmed pacifists.

So yeah, I'd advise all and everyone - watch the show, it's great. But, you can guess what I think of the books.