Winter Is Coming

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Angmar Assassin, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Angmar Assassin

Angmar Assassin New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/

If this is in the wrong place, go ahead and move it where it needs to be. But I found this blog about the upcoming HBO production of ASOIAF, if anyone is interested.

Last updated on the 31st of December and it looks like it was just created within the month and is getting a lot of hits. I've been looking for news on the series for quite awhile, as I'm sure many of you have, so I'm pleased to have found this site. :draught:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I'm shocked that they're considering the project when GRRM still hasn't given the slightest indication that he's willing to finish A Dance With Dragons.

3. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Martin is willing, just not actively writing. Or maybe he is and he's the slowest writer on Earth. Who knows?

Anyway, I guarantee that if Thrones is a hit, by the time the get to the 5th season (which will be A Dance With Dragons), SOMEONE will write it.

4. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    .. originally it was coming Summer 07, then Fall 08..now ?

I suspect that HBO have jumped on the fantasy bandwagon given the success of LoTR, Harry Potter, Narnia & now Twilight. I can understand the production concerns for the TV series ~ it will be a difficult task to pull together all the story strands into a coherent series of TV episodes, especially for an audience who haven't read the book. LoTR was by comparison easy ~ the fellowship ~ a period of diverging character storylines ~ back together for the finale.

5. Cyril

Cyril Knight of the Weave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure how they're going to handle it, but from all of GRRM's statements on the production and writing teams, it sounds like we're in for a hell of a ride. I'm looking forward to this one for sure.

6. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The guy who commented on the pilot script said there were a few additions made. I'm really anxious to see these. Especially the new dialogue between Catelyn & Cersei!

7. Angmar Assassin

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Why would that matter? They're not putting ALL the books into a 10 part mini-series. If HBO were to even do all the books, it would take at least 5 years to even get to A Dance With Dragons. We can only hope it's even still on the air in 2013. If Rome got to be too expensive, then this will be lucky to make it two seasons as well.

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I hope they can finish the series of books - though as you say its a very long term project and there is scope for a lot of things to change or fail (at the simplest stage keeping the same actors on the payroll for possibly decades!)

I think there is a lot of potential in ASOIAF and if they make it right and stick to the dark and detailed world then there is a space in the market for it (so far most of fantasy is very light - even LOTR is very light when it comes to content).
    I only hope that they don't make a hash of it like what happened with the Golden Compass :(

Extra details makes sense in a visual adaptation as does missing sections (sometimes) though I hope they remain faithfull to the original text. - many a time this does not happen (just look at Earthsea - both adaptations were not faithfull - though it has to be said that the animation is a quality film in its own right, just not as faithfull as it should have been -- whilst the live action -- we don't talk about that thing)

9. Hammerheart

Hammerheart New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Do we have any idea when this is actually going to start airing?

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    It matters because if A Dance with Dragons isn't available by 2010, then book six won't be available when it's needed in 2014, nor book seven in 2015. That means HBO - who can do basic math - will drop the series in 2011, halfway through A Storm of Swords. If we want to see the whole series, not just the first couple of seasons, Martin will have to apply the seat of his pants to the seat of a chair and write.

I have spent most of my life writing, (yes, Martin is better than I am, but that is not the point of discussion) and I've been through it before. Not writing is a clear result of not bothering.

11. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Last year Two wildcards books and a Jack Vance anthology that Martin edited came out.
    He is also writing a Dunk and Eg short story for the Warriors anthology he is himself actively editing. There is also work on a world book, and he is exec producer on the tv-show.
    George is working. Just not on Dance with dragons all the time.
    And he is trying to finish a book with child characters five years younger than he originally imagined. I guess it is grueling work to redirect all the storylines, as well as give up his original vision for how the series was going to end. I would be frustrated as well if I saw the quality of my plotlines deteriorate like that.

Martin is off course a human being like the rest off us and maybe he is more or less deliberately being sidetracked by his other projects. But I believe he has every intention of finishing the books, and it frankly offends me when you imply otherwise.

To come back on topic it is a great blog. It is written by halfhand from the westeros board. By all counts a cool guy. Congrats to him on the great work.

12. Maester Joergensen

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    We are not really sure it is going to air yet. They are doing post production work on the pilot,.
    If the powers that be at HBO likes the pilot they may order a full season.
    We will just have to cross our fingers and hope they do a great job with the pilot.

13. Angmar Assassin

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, like I said, considering HBO axed Rome due to costs after two years, there's no point in worrying if the series makes it to book 7, before it's even seen season 1 yet.

14. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Like I said, if they start it now it's because they plan on cutting it short.

15. Angmar Assassin

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I fail to see how you make that leap, but OK.

16. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Best case scenario:
    Book 1: 1996
    Book 2: 1998
    Book 3: 2000
    Book 4: 2005
    Book 5: 2009?
    Book 6: 2013?
    Book 7: 2017?

Probable scenario:
    Book 1: 1996
    Book 2: 1998
    Book 3: 2000
    Book 4: 2005
    Book 5: 2010?
    Book 6: 2015-2018?
    Book 7: 2020-2025?

Season 1: 2010-11
    Season 2: 2011-12
    Season 3: 2012-13
    Season 4: 2013-14
    Season 5: 2014-15
    Season 6: 2015-16
    Season 7: 2016-17

HBO can do the same thing I just did, and they're not fools enough to expect the best-case scenario. They will look at the schedule and see that the book six will likely not be finished by 2014 when they need to start working on it to air in 2015, let alone having book 7 done in time. That means they'll have to work without GRRM's input on the last two seasons if they bother to do them at all.

If HBO intended to produce the whole series they would wait until ADOD was finished, and GRRM had shown he was going to get back to a faster writing schedule for the remained of the series.

17. Maester Joergensen

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... I can see your point.
    I admit it doesn´t look good for a full seven seasons show.
    Unless they take intervals between the seasons which they can´t do due to aging of child actors, or George seriously picks up his writing pace, which seems quite unlikely.
    Best case cenario:
    aDwD: 2009
    book6: 2011
    book7: 2013
    If he puts out the last two books, in two years apiece like the first books he will make it with time to spare as season six is starting in 2015. That will give them time to write the scripts and other post-production stuff. But it does seem very unlikely. We can only hope the writing will be easier after a dance with dragons, when all the storylines are hopefully aligned.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  18. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Books two and three came out at two-year intervals because he had a deadline. They lifted the deadline and eight and a bit years later we're still waiting for the second half of book four. Martin can produce - and I want him to - but nothing seems to be happening. I wonder if he's emotionally abandoned the story.