Windlass Steelcrafts "The Mercenery"

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by The_phatmasster, May 16, 2004.

1. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ive seen pictures of it, and it looks like a copy of boromirs sword. I dont know much about this companys products. Does anybody have any info on them, or about their blades?

The main reason I ask, while I would not use my blades for actual swordplay, somebody told me this company makes functional blades, is this sword "real" or just a display piece?

Most (all but one) or my medievil weapons are either very very old, so I dont handle them much, or are display pieces only. Swinging around a UC Glamdring for example is quite tirring. Even to carry it aroundis kinda awhard and hold because its not balanced properlly. So my other question is this.... What would be a good "generic" sword for me to get? Perferablly with a scabbard included or at least available. Not overly expensive, eleberate, fantasy looking or just being to over the top. Something more or less simple with a nice blade, nice grim with all the fantastic scollwork, skulls and what have you.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help

2. Valkrist

Valkrist New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Though I know for a fact that there are others here that are far more informed on this subject than I am, I hope to be able to be of some help.

As far as I've heard, Windlass Steelcrafts puts out fairly decent products. Their swords are indeed fully functional, and their designs are far more practical than fanciful. The Mercenary is (as you guessed,) an 'interpretation' of Boromir's sword, and I have heard good reviews of it. Another very good sword that they have released is called the Ranger sword, and yes, it is based on Aragorn's ranger sword from the movies. It comes with scabbard and utility knife included.

3. RangerFlik

RangerFlik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Windlass is a decent enough brand for functional swords. They certainly aren't a super high quality, but they arent wall hangers either. They're pretty good low to middle end production swords. However, if you really want a quality cutter....you can't go wrong with Angus Trim. Do a search for All Saints Blades on search engine and check em out for yourself. The prices are a bit more, but these are great blades. Angus Trim is highly respected and reknown within the sword collector's community. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any more questions or what have you.

Cheers,
    -Flik

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'll be buying The Mercenary, and for the price, I'll be buying The Ranger as well, when my supplier has them both in stock. Nice designs, not too over the top or carbon copies, but paying homage to the LOTR swords, and again - the price! s long as they're not total rubbish, you can't go wrong.

5. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed that the mecenary is instock at one of the online stores I look at (cant say name of store since they also sell uc lotr stuff)... I'd definitely be interested in getting it... If someone here gets one they'll have to post pics so that we can see what it looks like in real life!

P.S. Does anyone know how "functional" this sword is...I known the product description claims it is...but that doesn't mean much... Plus I was wondering if anyone knows if it comes sharpened???
    Thanks

6. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ive actaully gone ahead and ordered one. It was out of stock a few days after i purchased it but has now come back in and been shipped last week. Im expecting it any day now, and will gladly relay any info i think is important as well as awsner questions.

Still dont know how to load pics on the gallery or I'd have some up there by now.... But I can email them to any who ask.

7. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Cool, that would be great! Hope you recieve it soon, so then you can tell us all about it!

By the way:
    Here is a link to a thread that explains how to post pics in the gallery:
    http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3541

8. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. Thingol

Thingol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "The Mercenery" is fully functional??, I mean, does it have a full tang construction or the pommel is just screwed to the hilt???

11. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Windlass pieces have a full tang, even if the pommel is screwed on (I'm not sure if that's the case, though; it may be peened). A pommel being screwed on can still be full-tang and functional, as long as the threaded part of the tang is not a separate threaded rod that was welded on. Cheap, non-functional swords have a "rat-tail tang" which is a long thin rod through the handle with threads on the end, and the rod is welded to a very short tang. The weak spot on these swords is in the weld. High quality makers like Angus Trim and John Lundemo of Odinblades use threaded pommels, but the threaded part is forged from the tang itself, rather than being a welded-on rod. The only potential weak spot is found in the threads themselves, which could hypothetically strip under great stress, but makers like Angus and John forge thick heavy-duty threads to prevent failure. I believe neither of those two makers has ever had a sword fail in that way (I could be wrong about Angus, but I know I read that from John somewhere, and I think also from Mr. Trim).

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about with full-tang vs. rat-tail:
    http://swordforum.com/sfu/primer/rat-tail-tang.jpg
    The diagram of full-tang could be a peened pommel or threaded, either is okay if done properly.

Here is a great thread on a different forum regarding Angus Trim tangs:
    http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=35642&highlight=threaded+tangs

And here is another good discussion of tangs:
    http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38414&highlight=threaded+tangs

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  12. Thingol

Thingol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so. this sword can be used for steel to steel practice????I mean is it capable, with out the risk of the tang breaking apart??

13. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hypothetically, I would say Yes...

BUT, there are other things that also affect the durability of the hilt, such as where the blade "shoulders" meet the tang. If that angle is sharp, like 90 degrees, it concentrates any stress right in the sharp corner, and a stress fracture could result. Quality makers will make sure those corners are rounded instead of squared, since that will disperse the stress more. Also, small weak threads on the threaded part could shear off under enough force, that's why I mentioned the heavy duty threading Gus and John use. To be honest, I do not know how Windlass pieces stack up in these regards. I think with their sporadic quality control issues in the past, most people who do steel on steel sparring would feel safer using a more consistent, highly regarded makers sword for such stuff...

This is what I'm talking about where the blade shoulders meet the tang:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004