Windlass' Ranger kit

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by defyitall, Jun 9, 2005.

1. defyitall

defyitall Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I asked in the bottom of an old post but I think people are probably scared of resurrecting something from the dead. So here's a new one. I have been searching around looking for this mythic Windlass Ranger sword kit. I wondered if anyone knows if, in fact, Windlass still makes it or not.

Also, feel free to throw in any thoughts on the sword if you know anything about the quality or whatever.

Double also, feel free to PM me if you know of any places selling it.

Triple also, is this it:

[​IMG]

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
  3. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I've seen one on eBay pop up from a seller for a little over $100, sometimes around $125 or $130. Don't know if he ever sold it though.

I hate that handle. That would have to go if I ever owned it.

4. defyitall

defyitall Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My plan was to kill two birds and get a beginner level, semi functional blade that would also work (with some modifications) for me Aragorn costume. But on second thought I think I am just going to get the UC Strider sword and scabbard and then look into a better beginner level functional sword next year (maybe one of the KoH swords or an Albion Squire sword--though I am a stickler for nice scabbards)

5. Alcurin

Alcurin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have this kit. Want some images? I might have to provide them in link form.

6. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yes please! And a full review of your impressions would be good to :)

7. linkd3

linkd3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its cool.. but a bit to clean cut and polished for my taste.. :/ not a big fan of the bright bold blue either.. cant take it seriously

8. Alcurin

Alcurin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, first part of my review.

I've disassembled it and looked at the tang. The sword does have a rat-tail tang, but a proper one, with no welding. The tang and blade are all part of one piece of metal, and the threads are cut on the very end of the tang.

As always, the carbon steel is very well tempered with a good flex. I would classify the blade as a little bit whippy but the sword seems to have an authorative thrust and tracks well.

I don't have an official weight for this sword, but it feels light, in the 3 to 3.5 lb range. The handle is covered with a blue vinyl/leatherette, which has the standard obscene Windlass stitching in white thread (Blue would have been nice to match the leather). Though the handle is unorthodox it is actually quite comfortable in the hand. The pommel makes up part of the handle area, and typifies this sword as a bastard sword.

I'm quite fond of the hilt on this sword, which does not interfere with the wrist when the sword is in play. The furnishings are all steel and quite attractive. There is a flat steel washer at the top and bottom of the handle to disperse tension from the wood grip core.

The blade has some nice distal taper towards the tip and profile taper. The fuller is executed cleanly and is quite attractive.

Cob is about 5 inches from the hilt. I am not sure what the cop is. The sword is balanced well enough so that it is lively in the hand, but has enough forward weight so that a swing has authority. I believe this sword is handled best as a two handed sword, though it would be suitable for use as a one handed weapon as well. But bear in mind that I am a tall man, six and a half feet tall, and quite burly.

The leather scabbard fits the blade very well, and is not loose at all. I find the matching steel throat and tip on the scabbard quite attractive. The scabbard is also fit with a thick leather knife scabbard and a small knife. The knife does not appear to be a weapon, but a tool for food and possibly utilitarian use. The blade is quite thick and appears to be ground out of the same stock used for Windlass sword blades. The tang on the knife is full width of the handle, visible along the sides of the handle, and have attractive wooden scales on each side. The scales are pinned on the top and bottom of the tang. The pommel of the knife is very broad and if it is welded then it is blended in very well.

I love this sword and got it at a great price on eBay. It is not sharpened so I will not be using it for any cutting, but it has performed well in dry exercises and made short work of the shipping container with the 1 mm blade edge. Thrusting pierced both sides of the container with ease, penetrating nearly to the hilt. If you can obtain one of these then I would recommend it.

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Sigh....now I REALLY regret not buying one of these when they were available :(

10. RenEnthusiast

RenEnthusiast New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  11. Alcurin

Alcurin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I may have two of these soon. I mangled the tip of my current one by driving it into my lawn, because I like liquor and liquor causes inhibition.

I need to put a proper new tip on it, and I thought while I'm doing that I might as well have somebody give it a proper appleseed bevel edge. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to have the current Ranger sword in my possession sharpened up so I can do some beach-mat cutting with it.

The second Ranger sword I am getting will be left with the standard Windlass edge and used for display. Both of the swords should make a striking exhibition on the wall of my home, displayed together with several other Windlass swords which have been discontinued.