Will McIntosh

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Julie, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Hiya TFF'ers,
    What do you guys think of Will McIntosh's work? I've recently read (well, listened to,..) his novel Love Minus Eighty and I absolutely loved it! It's a sci fi-novel, taking place in the future, revolving around a center of 'bridesicles', a dating center with dead women in cryogenic state who can be revived if rich men takes interest in them. It's a pretty dark novel, but not as dark as you might think. I love how he lightens up the mood with his witty writing style, and his characters are very three-dimensional. His portrayal of the future world - this bridesicle center on the one hand, and then bizarre versions of virtual dating on the other - is also really cool, 'cause I wouldn't be completely surprised if we evolved to such a world.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to read (or listen to) his other three books. Has anyone read his stuff? He's got loads of short stories as well, but I normally don't read these. Too short :)

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +339 / 3 / -2
    I listened to 'Bridesicle' as part of an Asimov's "best of" short story collection. It was at least three or four years ago, maybe longer, so my memory is hazy at best. I'm not sure about a full length novel though, the short story was sort of a one-trick-pony that came off more as satire than a real story. Not that there's anything wrong with satire.
    Also, I've found that Science Fiction is a horrible predictor of the future. If technology is so advanced that you can keep people on ice for centuries, putting aside the ethical dilemmas involved, why not offer wealthy men the opportunity to create their own perfect mate? It would be sort of like the old Sears Catalog, only instead of toaster ovens and nightgowns, the client would order body parts, personality, eye color, ethnic type... maybe he wants a woman with three breasts, and a less complicated vagina.

3. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    It didn't come across as satire to me, but maybe because I listened to the audio book. The people reading sounded serious enough, so no, never crossed my mind. :) But Mira is just one character - and not even a main character - in the novel. She's the main character of the short story, right?
    I don't agree that it would have been better if the dating center would have allowed men to just create their mate. I mean: that sounds too familiar. I've seen movies/series about perfect (robot-)people made for the pleasure of men and then they start to develop feelings and blabla. I think the bridesicle center is a more original idea. I also think it's easier to identify with the characters if they're just normal people like you and me.
    With regards to Sci Fi as a predictor: I don't think the bridesicle thingie will happen in the future, but perhaps the other things mentioned in the book. Like: people constantly being online, dating online, using virtual tools to look better than they actually do..This is already happening and will probably only intensify in the future, if you ask me.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +339 / 3 / -2
    Yes, poor lesbian Mira is the protagonist in Bridesicle.
    She's been frozen/unfrozen many times to be interviewed by lonely men. So besides dealing with the rejection, she's terrified she'll never get a second chance at life.

I've read SF wherein we just choose a "sleeve", that is a body for our brain/conscious being to inhabit. So of course everyone is running around in these beautiful bodies.
    To me, there's something abhorrent about perfection and people who tend too much to their appearance.

• Like Like x 1