Will GRRM Die before he's finished?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by pippin65, Jan 31, 2009.

?

Will GRRM die before he finishes his great series?

1. Yes---oh crap...

43.9%
  2. No

56.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. A Snowy Evening

A Snowy Evening New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe how long it's been since i first read Game of Thrones. I was just a kid a the time but i remember being shocked at how different it was from all the other fantasy novels i had read. No offense to Eddings or Hobb, but GRRM was just an evolutionary step above the rest.

Of course now i'm miserable to the point of exhaustion from waiting for the series to end. I am terribly worried he will die. I felt the same about Jordan and WOT, but in the end i celebrated the death of that money grubber. But i haven't given up on GRRM. Maybe it's because i think that while there has been a lot of waiting (Oh the years!), the quality of the work hasn't been terribly diminshed and we aren't quite on book 11 yet.

God i hope he finishes soon and finishes well. If i re-read these books anymore i'm worried i'll start to hate them. I've had book 1 memorized for about 6 years now and can't even enjoy reading it at this point.

p.s. i enjoyed reading the post someone made about a copy of a ASOIF book that had split into 3 sections. A lovely and enfuriating experience i feel glad to have shared.

Also, hello! I enjoyed reading much of your discussions (i was amused to see that even in a GRRM forum there are still the same flaming and shenanigans) and look forward to a little more cathartic shared bellyaching.

2. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    He may not finish Ice and Fire before he dies, but you can bet your ass he'll finish 100 other insignifigant works first. This is my favorite series, but Im to the point of not reading it if it does ever come out. I cant stand his attitude towards it. His biggest fan base is the Ice and Fire crowd, yet his blog is filled with "Wildcards" this and "Wildcards" that, "Hunters Run", "songs of a dying earth", Ive heard enough about Jack Vance to make my butt hurt. "Were publishing some old versions of this and that" Well I got news for ya George...NO ONE GIVES A SHIT! Meanwhile he spends endless time signing deals for ASoIaF mechandise and getting rich off it. The only time he brings ASoIaf up is to pitch some crappy merch, or grumble about how he is sick of people asking about the new books. His rant about everyone being on his case about it on his blog just about topped the cake for me.He throws a fit like a 2 year old about how people need to lay off him, he can only do so much, and if we dont like it than screw us. Well screw you George, get your priorities straight and quit posting on your blog every other day about the NFL, pimping your books that arent as popular, and maybe it wouldnt appear as if its never going to get finished. Dont surf around the boards if you cant handle what people are saying. Baby. Apparently in his mind, we'll all be here to buy the book at his leisure. Im really suprised HBO is doing anything with the series given his slow ass writing. Maybe they will pressure him to finish it up, then he can be pissed at them too for daring to expect him to finish what he started.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you. And I love you, Raff. Always remember.

That being said, he doesn't have to finish it ever if he doesn't want to. He's not obligated to write just because he's good at it. He could quit today, flip us all the bird, and retire without making another peep about ASoIaF again for the rest of his days.

I'm anxious for him to finish. I want him to finish! I NEED him to finish the story. But it's his party, and he can cry if he wants to. ;)

4. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Your right. He doesnt have any obligation to finish, I just hate the way he acts spiteful about it. He's biting the hand that feeds him in a certain sense. Oh well, I guess I'll continue trying other authors in the meantime and not worry about it. If the story wasnt so good I would call have already called it quits.
    OH George...I wish I knew how to quit you...*tear*

5. Nocturna

Nocturna New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I surely hope he doesn't die before it's done. He's made an amazing saga thus far, and to have it unfinished (or finished by someone else) would make me a sad panda..and of course, him not dying is good for him as well! Haha.

But really, he's 60, now days, that isn't too old. My grandma worked until she was 80 and drove until she was 94.

6. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    lol!

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I'll finish ASOIAF, but I doubt I'll read another of his series, at least not until I can get all of the books used in paperback.

8. Belkode

Belkode New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just joined the forum. This is an interesting topic because apart from questions regarding his future health, it also brings (at least in my mind) the larger question of where the story is going.

My 2 cents: GRRM seems to be a loooong way from finishing. Based on past experience, he'll find that he has more material for Books 6 and then 7, which will probably need to be fleshed out into more installments. Backing this up, in my opinion, is that for all that has happened (and there has been a lot), very little is actually being resolved. Even in the last book there were new characters, new plot lines - in summary a very many introductions which will need to be resolved - and some of them are only just beginning. Think about it. The Others, Bran, Arya, Tyrion... all these threads are only beginning their potential, even after all that has happened.

This isn't a story in the classic sense - try to summarize it to see what I mean.

So, yes, unless he puts the pedal to the metal, his health could be a concern.

To add to it, he seems to be a person with serious focus issues. He seems to be doing all but witing ASOIAF. Other books, the web log, HBO specials. If we extrapolate, I don't have high expectations that he'll be finishing the series anytime within the next 10 years.

This is not meant to be critical of GRRM. Just an observation on the expectations we may have to get used to.

9. Ravenhart

Ravenhart New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Neh, he doesn't look especially sick or anything so with some good will he'll be fine. For all we know he may already have finished and is laughing at us for our increased wait!

10. s.gal83

s.gal83 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope he does not die before he finishes the series. I hate it when an author dies before he or she completes a series. It makes me feels like I am hanging in the middle of a story, and even though a new author may take over the job of completing the story, it is never the same. The new author, no matter how good he may be,is not the original author.

11. pcow

pcow New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope he doesn't die before he finishes. I don't know if he is even trying, he is making so much money off the merchandise he keeps pumping out why would he? Once the series is finally over no one will want a calender are figurine. Look at how crazed everyone was about Harry Potter stuff, and now that the series is over no one wants a Harry Potter tote bag.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1

Great, where can I get one please advise !!!!

13. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone.
    Been a while since I came past this corner of the interweb.
    I can´t believe the fuzz that was made over my last post in this thread.
    I was maybe in a little bit of a bad mood that day. But basically I still think it is pretty bad taste to discuss when another human being is going to die.

To the people who say that GRRM is a professional writer, and therefore is paid to write.
    Remember that aDwD is not in the bookstores yet. That means that none of you has payed a single dollar for that book. You have payed for the other books when you bought them, and you have recieved what you paid for. And compared to a lot of other books out there I really think you have got your moneys worth already.

Also GRRM doesn´t frequent the boards. What he complained about was the tone of some of the people who commented on his livejournal or send him e-mails. Going to someones personal livejournal or sending them e-mails talking about when they may die, is rude whatever you say. As I said earlier I was in kind of a bad mood when I said that this thread should be closed by the mods. It doesn´r deserve that. I am a little sad though everytime I pass by this page and see that this thread is still on the top. Why don´t people talk about the content of the books instead.

Also George has stated that should he die, noone else will finish the series, and it is just to bad for all of us.

If you ever swing by Copenhagen Pippin i will take you out for a beer, and you will discover I am not such a bad guy after all :)

Is it really so fun to bash people you don´t know?

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    It's okay Maester, we all defended your e-honor as valiantly as Rhaegar would have done. ;P

15. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Looking back, you really did. I'm surprised I didn't defend myself at the time... I think it was 'cause I felt the OP was tasteless enough that I should just express my distaste and move on but you did do it very well on my behalf :).

Oh yeah, continuing the theme of 'things that happened months ago on this thread' I finally picked up a copy of 'Kushiel's Dart' a couple of days ago. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it somewhere when I get to it.

BTW, this post is also meant as a general 'I know I haven't been around for a while but I'M ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' :D

16. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Books to date have indeed been great however we haven't bought each as a 'standalone' novel we've bought into a series. A series without an end/a story left unfinished isn't satisfactory. If they were to stop now I wouldn't be thinking "wow thanks, I've really had my monies worth" :D

Good to know, should we call you Frankenstein now? :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  17. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    If you feel so inclined :).

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Read it! And then tell me what you thought ^___^

19. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I really enjoyed it - more here.

20. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I just hope I don't die before he finishes.

Search tags for this page

will grrm die