Will GRRM Die before he's finished?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by pippin65, Jan 31, 2009.

?

Will GRRM die before he finishes his great series?

1. Yes---oh crap...

43.9%
  2. No

56.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Same here. I know what you're talking about.

@ KT: I don't think that any of us are arguing that sending nasty emails is a good idea. It's unbearably rude and inconsiderate. I just bitch on forums, lol. My whole point is though that you do have to keep in mind that some of these fans HAVE been waiting for nine years. AFFC isn't the book it was supposed to be - it IS half a book. Many favorite characters, such as Tyrion, Dany, and Bran, never showed up in AFFC. True, it's as long as ADWD. But it's certainly not what he'd originally promised the fans.

Also, GRRM > Erikson in terms of character development imo ;P In terms of world-building, I'd argue for Erikson. Although really, if we're going to get into supercharacterdevlopment, Khaled Hosseni forever. Ella would agree with me.

2. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    You've only read one and a half of Malazan :(

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Two ma'am. I'm mostly done with Deadhouse.

And true, lol. However, that's just my observation so far. I still argue for "The Kite Runner."

4. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Well, Deadhouse Gates wasn't my favourite of the series...I mean, 'lil prissy pants pissed me off.

The next one, Memories of Ice, is awesome though. Has my favourite character in it <3

5. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I am definitely going to have to read these books when I get back from vaca. Although I just started the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Hrm.

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    who dat

@ Rachel: You really should! They're an excellent read (for fantasy) from what I've read so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest :) Although I still contend that GRRM's character development > Erikson (yeah, sure, I only read 2 books of Erikson... but GRRM's only written 3.5 books ;)), to my mind, Erikson's world, culture, and history are far more developed than that of Westeros.

It beats reading about Egwene and the other equally irritating 9999 character in WoT. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I'm actually going through a WoT read 'cause it's a classic, but as of yet, I only genuinely like Mat as a character.

/derail

7. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    It's decided then. I'll read the Erikson series. Besides, I've been reverting back to high school at an alarming rate. Obsessing over Twilight while I listen to my Taylor Swift CD. Embarrassing? :)

I need a good mature fantasy novel to bring me back.

8. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Erikson? :yak: I quit halfway through Memories of Ice. Yeah, he's decent at worldbuilding but I'd have sacrificed the 10000 year detail for characters that had some actual personality and weren't simply the toys of some weird card-deck god...

^ Sorry if that qualifies as spoilers but I seriously doubt you'd get anything out of it if you haven't read the books. Possibly even if you have - it's a couple of years since I read it and I've tried to expurge it from my memory as much as possible.

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Are you listening to "Love Stooory" and giggling at her Canadian accent? Speaking of which, I should go buy my Canadian-English pocket dictionary for my trip.

@ Lya: Tbh, I found the first couple of books to be interesting. I think that the thing about Erikson is that he doesn't paint the characters/concepts for you outright, which either appeals to or turns away audiences. Some people like reading an open series where you have to fill in the details; other people don't.

I was entertained enough by the first couple of books that I bought books 3-7 without having read them. I'm not like KT and thinks that he's the best author ever, but IMO he's a pretty good writer in terms of "epic" fantasy.

Also, I know that you read and loved the Sevenwaters trilogy (iirc it was on my recommendation). Have you ever given Jacqueline Carey's "Kushiel's Dart" (and subsequent books) a try? I think you'd love them.

10. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    wait when did this become Malazan thread???

Deadhouse Gates was a big shift in teh story - took a long while to get used to that, but really liked it in the end!
    Memories of Ice - gotta get past half way!

Anyone read the other Malazan series written by the other guy?

11. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed that the Malazan books tend to polarise opinion - just thought that App should get both sides of the story ;). I don't think it's just that he doesn't paint the concepts in though as I really did find his characterisation awful. I basically couldn't keep track of the characters because I couldn't remember any defining characteristics - and when you consider that I have no problem differentiating between Saine, Seaine, Siuan, Shevan and Seana in WoT that's pretty bad.

I think I read the first chapter or so once and was unconvinced. I've been meaning to give them a better try though, as that's not nearly enough.

BTW, you know there's a fourth Sevenwaters book now? I haven't read it yet though.

12. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    hmm I found that Malazan was tricky to keep up with because he has a lot of characters (more key characters than ASOIAF) but I didn't find any of them lacking too much - though I think the thing is we see more into hte mind of the character with GRRM as well as how a character is growning - with Malazan most of the characters have already grown into their character so we dont' see that change, but more a playout of how that developed character lives.
    Would be interesting to read the pasts and advantures of many to see how they became the people in the series.

13. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    lol I think the reason I don't like asoiaf as much as I could is that most of the characters are children, whereas in Malazan the characters are already adults, and it's a lot more realistic. I mean, a 19-year-old girl taking on a fully armed guards and killing him? I personally get bored after a while, reading about kids with super abilities. Though, I will probably buy ADFD when it comes out.

And Malazan is definitely not a light read, you actually have to pay attention ;) The author takes a long time in giving you a story behind the characters...if you keep reading, he keeps giving you more and more hints about their past, and I love that technique. Also, his writing style is far superior to asoiaf.

Then again, Erikson has degrees in Archaeology and Anthropology, and maybe since that's exactly what I took in school, we think along more the same lines...there are a lot of references to arch. stuff in the books that you probably wouldn't pick up without previous knowledge. His world is so complex, you can actually FEEL the thousands of years of layers behind any given city.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Damn it, when I saw that KT had posted, I was hoping that she'd gone off on a rant so I could just quote her and go "umad? urmad" and end the thread.

Also, his writing style really isn't that superior to ASoIaF imo. Sometimes Erikson comes off like he's writing a research paper. :S Not that much emotion in it. It's different, but neither are superior. GRRM tends to focus on "shock"-style in terms of writing; I'm usually aghast at whatever he writes of next. His short stories are a great example. Frankly though, if we're going to argue about " great writing style," I suggest we move from the realm of fantasy and into fiction/nonfiction. They're by far superior to anything in fantasy/scifi. Unless we're talking about Harlan Ellison's short stories, in which case he takes the cake in the genre.

@ Lya: And yeah, that's definitely good to give Rachel a third opinion, lol. Frankly, Erikson wouldn't be on my list of "Five favorite authors in fantasy" (that'd go to Carey, Marillier, GRRM, Douglass, and Maguire), but he'd be on my list of top 10 or top 15 somewhere. Definitely behind Terry Pratchett though. ;) Still, I do think Rachel would like it, so we'll have to see! He's also one of the few authors whose work is comparable on a scale to Jordan and Martin.

I did NOT know that there's a fourth Sevenwaters book out. :eek: Checking my bookstore today - I think I might just treat myself to the book tonight... :x But really, I probably won't. While I love Marillier's Sevenwaters trilogy to bits, I unfortunately think that her books are worth buying in hardcover. If I had the money, I'd be buying Maguire's third book about the Cowardly Lion. And I'm saving more money to buy Santa Olivia by J. Carey when it comes out.

As for Kushiel's Dart... tbh, the first time I read the series through, I didn't find it super-remarkable either. I liked it, but it wasn't that gripping. Reread after reread later, it's actually my favorite fantasy series in the "traditional fantasy" genre (doesn't include Wicked or Harlan Ellison, etc.). Even above ASoIaF. :/ ASoIaF is an epic, and as KT noted, it does tend to focus a lot on child characters. It's also the highlight of one of the "worst periods in English history." I like a much of the simple philosophy and mysticism present in the Kushiel books. They look very simple, but IMO the simplest things are often the most profound.

-edit-

So, after thinking about a bit more, here's my next take on the matter:

As I've reiterated in like 5+ threads in the past couple months of posting, people look for different things in fantasy. This is why, God help us all, some people read Terry Goodkind. ;) KT is an archaeology major and likes the way Erikson set up his history, culture, etc. I'm a psych major, which is why I tend to focus on characterization.

I do think that Erikson did a pretty nice job of managing multiple plotlines, but the biggest criticism I had of his books was that, well... I just wasn't emotionally moved. It's an interesting story. In fact, it's more like a history, with all those plotlines contributing to the future. For me, it was more of an abstract interest, and the fact that he told a very entertaining story. But that was all it was, for me - just a story. I also don't really feel like putting in the effort to memorize every damn character, which is why I frequently cheat in WoT and use the websites that Unraveller kindly provided for me like three years ago.

Going back to the original subject, I think Lya tends to be more like me. I absolutely adore a book if the characterization is well done. I don't care too much about the setting, or the scene. Just the plotline and the characters. KT seems to view books as history/archaeology text books, and prefers books that have a weighty history, etc. (probably a huge reason why she loves Tolkien's Middle-Earth as well).

Personally, I like GRRM's characters, but... I dunno', sometimes it seems to me that they're a little too cliche, and a little too spelled out. IMO, the books that have the most developed characters don't need to say that "He's irritable," or "He's arrogant," or "He's honorable," or whatever. It's just there in the way that they act and speak.

Then again, I have several obsessions that I like having satisfied in a book: characterization (my primary majors is psychology), plotline (my minor is creative writing), philosophy, and questions of morality and ethics. I do love big epics - they're wonderfully entertaining and keep me engrossed for hours at a time, but it's difficult to satisfy all of the demands above in an epic. It's why I've grown to love more "personal" stories nowadays.

Also, go read The Kite Runner if you haven't already. ;) /shameless promotion

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  15. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeee cliche!!!!! With a passion. Which is probably why I love Erikson's world - it's got to have some of the most original ideas, in terms of magic, world, etc, that's I've ever read.

16. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Ugh, now I don't really want to read anything. I've been rereading some of my early favorites (mostly Robin McKinley) lately, small, silly little fantasy novels in which major themes are horses and women heroes. Oh god, I've left high school and gone back to middle school?

17. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I reread Robin McKinley myself two months ago. :/

18. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Ooo, which ones did you read? I love the Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword. :)

19. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Those are the only two I have. :(

20. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    after reading the first three pages of this thread I stopped with one conclusion: Mub does not get enough credit for the amount of work he does on these boards, he\s like the unsung hero. Hurrah Mub!

A few things: seven books total. 4 currently published, 1 being worked on. I hope he lives, he\s a fantastic writer, he just takes a long time, because he strives for perfection, he does not want to disappoint us, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Also, AFFC and ADWD were originally one book, he has now split them in two, the ORIGINAL ADWD (which for those counting will be the 6th book instead of the 5th and will be titled the winds of winter or some such thing) will have the 5 year gap, or so I believe, and that\s on;y if he does do the gap.

Search tags for this page

will grrm die