Will GRRM Die before he's finished?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by pippin65, Jan 31, 2009.

?

Will GRRM die before he finishes his great series?

1. Yes---oh crap...

43.9%
  2. No

56.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. apz

apz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Me too!:halo:

2. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry Pippin and/or apz, I should not have used the term "douchebag". As you can see my post has been edited.

I hope Martin doesn't die either. I'm not sure someone else could finish the series as well as he could.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  3. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    What a lovely thread.

Personally I can't understand the venom some readers express when talking about the author of a series they profess to "love." Hell, if I was Martin, I'm delay it just a bit more to piss them off. Some people are so ungrateful...think about the author, man, it's not easy writing to the demands of millions.

4. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I always seperate author and book, but I probably shouldn't. I love the story, but I don't love the storyteller. Maybe that's wrong.

That being said, I certainly don't hate Martin! I'm impatient and anxious to read the next part of the story, and I do wish Martin would hurry it along. But I don't hate him or think he should devote his entire being to writing the next book for us.

Although, most authors seem to get the job done a little quicker than he has. Hopefully he's working on it.

5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I think the frustration from long-time fans, as opposed to me and most of the people on these boards, is that SoS was published in 2005. Then, after waiting 5 years for a book, they found out that AFFC was only going to be half a book (I won't get into fan reception of how the book was said to be slower than the previous books). 4 years later, they're still waiting for that second half of a book.

I started reading ASoIaF maybe a year before AFFC came out, and probably a bit less. I can certainly sympathize for people who have been waiting far, far longer.

6. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I always associate the author with the books...it's HIS (or her) imagination that creates the characters that you grow to love, it's HE who puts all the work into entertaining you....

But that's just me ;) And lil ol' me hopes to have my books published one day.

7. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I've a pretty simplistic view on this...

He earns his living from us, his readers. Being an author is his job. Whilst he may well have a number of projects on, he should have more consideration for readers following his primary series or 'work'. His output rate is slowing even though, you would have thought, a large part of the storyline & character development has been told/must be pretty well developed.

Having a quick look at wiki (as I'm feeling lazy):

A Game of Thrones (1996)
    A Clash of Kings (1998) - 2 year gap
    A Storm of Swords (2000) - 2 year gap
    A Feast for Crows (2005) - 5 year gap
    A Dance with Dragons (forthcoming) - 4 year gap+?
    The Winds of Winter (forthcoming) - God only knows
    A Dream of Spring (forthcoming) - Probably not in our lifetime :p

Compare this to the Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan:

The Eye of the World (15 January 1990)
    The Great Hunt (15 November 1990) - 1 Year gap
    The Dragon Reborn (15 October 1991) - 1 Year gap
    The Shadow Rising (15 September 1992) - 1 Year gap
    The Fires of Heaven (15 October 1993) - 1 Year gap
    Lord of Chaos (15 October 1994) - 1 Year gap
    A Crown of Swords (15 May 1996) - 2 Year gap
    The Path of Daggers (20 October 1998) - 2 Year gap
    Winter's Heart (9 November 2000) - 2 Year gap
    Crossroads of Twilight (7 January 2003) - 2 Year gap
    Knife of Dreams (11 October 2005) - 2 Year gap
    A Memory of Light (scheduled for 2009) - Posthumously by Brandon Sanderson

or Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series

Gardens of the Moon (1999)
    Deadhouse Gates (2000) - 1 Year gap
    Memories of Ice (2001) - 1 Year gap
    House of Chains (2002) - 1 Year gap
    Midnight Tides (2004) - 2 Year gap
    The Bonehunters (2006) - 2 Year gap
    Reaper's Gale (2007) - 1 Year gap
    Toll the Hounds (2008) - 1 Year gap
    Dust of Dreams (2009) - 1 Year gap
    The Crippled God (forthcoming) - ?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  8. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Sen, when you get your books published I promise to read them and love you at the same time. :D

Those are very interesting numbers, Ella. I hope it's out by the end of 2009, but I'm sort of dreading that too. It will only make me more anxious to find out how the story ends and I'll know that I have several years to wait before the last book releases.

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Katie, you also haven't been waiting for NINE YEARS for the complete book that was originally supposed to come out. NINE. Not two, not three, NINE. AFFC came out in 5 years, sure. But it's only half the book. The book that fans have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for is yet to come. And yet they're still there, still waiting. I can understand why they'd be frustrated. I, on the other hand, have only been waiting for a paltry four years, which is why I can still afford to tell people that we should be patient. I'm not the one who was there, reading GoT when it first came out, and buying CoK and SoS when they came out. I'm not the one who's been eagerly awaiting the continuation of his series for close to a decade. Hell, these people have been waiting for literally half of my lifetime.

Ella also brings up a good point with those numbers. Erikson and Jordan, the only two authors who I feel have enough of a series/large following to compare to GRRM, have been putting out quality books on a regular basis. I think that when ASoIaF is finished, it'll blow us all away. I don't doubt that GRRM has been spending a lot of time and effort into writing his book, and writing it well. However, he's also a professional author (again as Ella pointed out). Hate to sound like a bitch, but it's his job to write. He isn't (just) doing it for his fans. He's getting paid for it. And he's not really delivering on his fans.

@ App: If I ever get published will you promise to love me too? :( Books are optional. lol

10. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Erikson though is putting out long books very fast - heck Hobb can put out long books fast

but what is this showing but the fact that some authors have a faster writing speed than others - also its a show of how good GRRM is that he is allowed to take so long to finish the book (many publishers might just have forced a publication or dropped him as a writer) so clearly they have confidence in his skill :)

11. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    No-one's questioning quality & of course writing speeds vary but what we're looking at here is 4yrs ~ 1400+ days to write an average 700 page ASoIaF book = 1/2 page a day.

I think I'm going to become an author, I could handle that work rate and I'd even be willing to throw in some creativity :D

12. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I will love you just to the point of borderline stalker, Em. Promise!

13. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The Bank of England will suffer!

14. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Well first of all, it's not fair to say they only got HALF the book they were expecting in AFFC - it's just as long as the previous three, it just goes more in-depth with some characters and less with others (that will be featured in the next book).

Secondly, it's true he does make money from his books, but if he's not publishing, he's obviously NOT making the same he would be if he WERE publishing regularly. So he suffers drawbacks as well.

Thirdly...it's not like each individual fan is paying his wage. We pay what, maybe 10 bucks a book. That's...$40 in the last how many years? Thus, saying we're paying his wage and thus have the right to verbally attack the author, who might just have some personal issues, some REAL LIFE things that are affecting his ability to write, or maybe just wants to get the next book just right, rather than rushing ahead with it. At least imho.

And lastly...it's not quite fair to judge him against the great Erikson ;) :p

Edit: And dammit, while I sat typing this I let my biscuits over-bake in the oven Q.Q

15. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    You poor, sweet, innocent girl. We're not just fans. We're fanatics. I've bought two or three copies of each book as they've worn out from overuse (I have a copy of SoS around here somewhere that's fallen into 3 pieces - like trying to find puzzle pieces), including the hardcover for AFFC & The Art of GRRMs SoIaF. Easily $100. Plus, I've fully converted at least 4 people, which means $40 for each of them. :D

All this I do without complaint, because I love the story. I just want more of it. I'm not going to write him any nasty emails though. That's just mean.

16. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    PS - Has anyone else noticed a font change around here? It seems smaller or something...Am I crazy?

17. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    lol No it won't, all the economy's woes will end.

I seem to do nothing but write reports at the moment ~ GRRM 1/2 page a day :rolleyes: ~ I'm generating reams of b####y paper a day which is far more creative in content :D

Yes?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  18. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Yes you have? Or yes I'm crazy?

19. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    try pressing the big + sign on your keyboard when your in your browser (making sure that you have the page clicked on, but not a word box like this

20. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    The latter :D ...

I hadn't noticed the fonts but then IE has just upgraded to v8 and it does show pages slightly differently unless you use compatibility mode

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
Search tags for this page

will grrm die