Wights and the Others?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by slinky2004, Mar 5, 2005.

1. slinky2004

slinky2004 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    whats the difference between the two? i guess the wights are undead and can be killed with fire and the Others can be killed with obsidian, but what exactly are the others, are they like ghosts or something?

the descriptions of the wights and the Others were very similar, i was thinking they may be one in the same: in the chapter of ASoS where Sam kills the Other with his obsidian dagger he says "the eyes are blue, jon was right." but i thought jon had fought with wights when he saved mormont and burned his hand and i remember the bright blue eyes being mentioned there.

are the Others creating the wights from dead bodies or is that just some phenomenon that always occurs in the north? this would explain why the wights fight with the others and the men of the night's watch seem to use "Others", "Wights", "Undead", "Dead", etc. almost interchangeably.

are there only a few Others that lead big armies of wights? is that about right? maybe one or two Others leading a thousand wights into battle?

anybody know where i can see some artists renderings of the Others or the Wights? i'd like that.

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, i think Wights are the dead who come back to life. Like the person who attacks Mormont. He was a Wight. However, the Others are a race apart. I think it is there dark magic which ressurects the corpses, and they lead them into battle.

As for the art, try Amok's site, I think he has a picture of a Wight, and atleast one picture with the Others. If you don't know the site, check the "A Song Of Ice And Fire Artwork" topic.

3. Patkun

Patkun Patkun, lover of bread

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A wight just looks like a person, only dead and with blue eyes. What an Other looks like is anybody's guess, except that they're tall and thin, and white-skinned, with big blue eyes and icy swords. I painted a picture of one once, but my scanner isn't running right now. Sam has managed to kill one of both.

4. slinky2004

slinky2004 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so... are the others undead themselves or are they like some kind of ice-people-necromancers? i guess what confused me is that the wights and others both seem to have those blue eyes and when those first wights attacked mormot i imagined that their skin was probably frozen and white.

5. Patkun

Patkun Patkun, lover of bread

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's assumed by most people that the Others are a higher, possibly demonic race, origins as yet unknown. Just wait for the next book, I suppose.
    The wights do have white skin, but only because they're bloodless and dead. Their hands are black with frostbite.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
Search tags for this page

difference between wights and others

whats the difference between the others and the wights

whats the what is the difference between the others and the wights

wights and others