Why you shouldn't vote for John Kerry

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by kartaron, Oct 21, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I am a little tired of defending Bush's record constantly. We have been through Bush's limitations and failures so many times that even the arguments are getting a little tired. I think most everything valuable has been said. Now I want to challenge what would be the alternative to Bush. John Kerry's record has been only lightly discussed. Mostly only in the way it directly compares to Bush. I will list my reasons why Kerry shouldnt be a reasonable alternative. Some of those reasons will be partisan, while others will be more fair. I will let you decide which are which. Also, I will try not to rehash what has been argued already.

I have notarized most of my references either in the quote or in the captions, however, I didn't want to take the time to mark them all. If you are unsure of a particular quote. highlight and google a short piece of the quote. Nearly all the quotes are google-able. If you still can't find it, ask me, Ill dig it back up when I have more time. Anyway, here goes....

Why you shouldn't vote for Kerry

1) John Kerry's National Service plan from his website:

As President, John Kerry will have the courage to lead and call on all Americans to make our nation stronger. Whether it is protecting America from the threats of terrorism or addressing the problems we have at home, America’s new challenges will not be met by the same old answers of big government or big tax cuts for the wealthy. John Kerry will call on all Americans - tapping into the idealism and ingenuity of Americans and putting it to work on building a safer, stronger, and more secure nation. Americans already make an enormous difference in their communities, volunteering, in Boys and Girls Clubs or homeless shelters. Many Americans do full time service. John Kerry believes that in these times, we need to bolster these efforts with a nationwide commitment to national service. Whether it is a Summer of Service for our teenagers, helping young people serve their country in return for college, or the Older Americans in Service program, John Kerry’s plan will call on every American of every age and every background to serve. John Kerry will set a goal of one million Americans a year in national service within the next decade.

John Kerry Outlines Plan to Require Service for High School Students

Part of 100 days Plan to Enlist One Million Americans in National Service A Year

On September 11th, 2001, America experienced the most terrible and deadly attack in its history. John Kerry believes we need to think big and do better and get more young Americans serving the nation.

As part of his 100 day plan to change America, John Kerry will propose a comprehensive service plan that includes requiring mandatory service for high school students and four years of college tuition in exchange for two years of national service.

2. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    2) John Kerry slanders soldiers and the US military for partisan gain:

from Gen. Tommy Franks:

On more than one occasion, Senator Kerry has referred to the fight at Tora Bora in Afghanistan during late 2001 as a missed opportunity for America. He claims that our forces had Osama bin Laden cornered and allowed him to escape. How did it happen? According to Mr. Kerry, we “outsourced” the job to Afghan warlords. As commander of the allied forces in the Middle East, I was responsible for the operation at Tora Bora, and I can tell you that the senator’s understanding of events doesn’t square with reality.

First, take Mr. Kerry’s contention that we “had an opportunity to capture or kill Osama bin Laden” and that “we had him surrounded.” We don’t know to this day whether Mr. bin Laden was at Tora Bora in December 2001. Some intelligence sources said he was; others indicated he was in Pakistan at the time; still others suggested he was in Kashmir. Tora Bora was teeming with Taliban and Qaeda operatives, many of whom were killed or captured, but Mr. bin Laden was never within our grasp.

Second, we did not “outsource” military action. We did rely heavily on Afghans because they knew Tora Bora, a mountainous, geographically difficult region on the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is where Afghan mujahedeen holed up for years, keeping alive their resistance to the Soviet Union. Killing and capturing Taliban and Qaeda fighters was best done by the Afghan fighters who already knew the caves and tunnels.

Third, the Afghans weren’t left to do the job alone. Special forces from the United States and several other countries were there, providing tactical leadership and calling in air strikes. Pakistani troops also provided significant help - as many as 100,000 sealed the border and rounded up hundreds of Qaeda and Taliban fighters.

Contrary to Senator Kerry, President Bush never “took his eye off the ball” when it came to Osama bin Laden. The war on terrorism has a global focus. It cannot be divided into separate and unrelated wars, one in Afghanistan and another in Iraq. Both are part of the same effort to capture and kill terrorists before they are able to strike America again, potentially with weapons of mass destruction. Terrorist cells are operating in some 60 countries, and the United States, in coordination with dozens of allies, is waging this war on many fronts.

---------

http://www.husseinandterror.com/

---------

Brigadier General Jerry Laws, USAF (Ret.):

“Last October, Senator Kerry had a choice between supporting our troops and casting a vote he had previously called ‘irresponsible.’ Kerry’s decision to cave to the pressure of a fellow New Englander, Howard Dean, and vote against $87 billion in funding to equip our troops with ammunition and body armor shows that he will do anything he thinks will help him politically. New Mexico’s nearly 200,000 veterans realize that President Bush has not only given our active duty service men and women what they need to defend America, but has also increased veterans health care funding by 40 percent since taking office. New Mexican voters are not going to trust a candidate who cares more about helping his own political career than he does about helping our troops win the War on Terror.”

3. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    3) John Kerry is preferred by our enemies:

Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat is hoping John Kerry wins the presidential election in November.

Arafat deputy and chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told WND in an exclusive interview that while “we do not involve ourselves in internal American politics,” at the same time “our region has been sliding deeper and deeper into chaos because of certain policies over the past few years, and this needs to change.”

While he would not directly endorse Kerry, it was clear Erekat was implying the PA wants a change in White House leadership: “If things continue the way they are, if certain policies toward our region are maintained in the years to come, there is going to be a lot of violence on both sides.”

“The president [Arafat] is frustrated with Bush’s policies,” he said. “The president [Arafat] thinks Kerry will be much better for the Palestinian cause and for the establishment of a Palestinian state.”

---------

Mahathir Mohammad, the former Malaysian prime minister stated, "American Muslims should not to vote for George Bush on November 2," according to the Daily Times of Pakistan. In "an open letter sent to the community," Mahathir writes that "Bush is a slave to the Zionists [and] . . . he is the cause of the tragedies in Afghanistan, Palestine and Iraq."

---------

In a question-and-answer session before a Senate committee in 1971, John F. Kerry, who was a leading antiwar activist at the time, asserted that 200,000 Vietnamese per year were being "murdered by the United States of America" and said he had gone to Paris and "talked with both delegations at the peace talks" and met with communist representatives.

Kerry confirmed through a spokesman that he did go to Paris and talked privately with leading communist representatives Madam Binh and others. Kerry agreed that, "I realize that even my visits in Paris in a sense are on the borderline of private individuals negotiating."

Asked about the appropriateness of Kerry's saying that the United States had "murdered" 200,000 Vietnamese annually when the United States was at war, Kerry spokesman Michael Meehan said "Senator Kerry used a word he deems inappropriate."

Victims of the brutal POW camps in Vietnam have said the statements of Kerry were used as propaganda during their torture.

The War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City depicts Kerry as a hero of its victory against the United States.

---------

While the Communist Party USA is on record as opposing Bush and has officially urged its members to work for the election of John Kerry in the 2004 presidential election.

---------

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that terrorists are aiming to derail U.S. President George W. Bush’s chances at re-election through their attacks in Iraq.

“I consider the activities of terrorists in Iraq are not as much aimed at coalition forces but more personally against President Bush,” Putin said at a news conference after a regional summit in the Tajik capital, Dushanbe.

“International terrorism has as its goal to prevent the election of President Bush to a second term,” he said. “If they achieve that goal, then that will give international terrorism a new impulse and extra power.”

---------

A multitude of unusual volunteers are working the phones for Sen. John Kerry in the swing state of Florida. The volunteers do not live in the United States, but in Communist-run Cuba.

Cubans, angered by a recent Bush administration measure restricting visits home by Cuban-Americans, say they are lobbying relatives hard to vote against the president just two weeks before Election Day. Early voting has already begun in Florida.

---------

North Korea has put off further negotiations on its nuclear program with five other nations until after the Nov. 2 U.S. presidential elections, intelligence officials say.

The North Koreans believe they will have an easier time negotiating with a new administration headed by Sen. John F. Kerry, who has said publicly he would begin direct U.S.-North Korea talks if elected president.

---------

The real prize is America. An electoral repudiation of President Bush would be seen by the world as a repudiation of Bush’s foreign policy, specifically his aggressive, preemptive and often unilateral prosecution of the war on terrorism, most especially Iraq. It would be a correct interpretation because John Kerry has made clear that he is fighting this election on precisely those grounds.

Does this mean that the bad guys want Kerry to win? Michael Kinsley with his usual drollery ridicules the idea by conjuring up the image of Osama bin Laden, “as he sits in his cave studying materials from the League of Women Voters,” deciding to cast his absentee ballot for the Democrats.

The point, of course, is that the terrorists have no particular interest in Kerry. What they care about is Bush. He could be running against a moose, and Bin Laden and Abu Musab Zarqawi would be for the moose.

4. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    4) The US Fraternal Order of Police, NRA, Boston Herald, NTC and American Muslims for Bush all support Bush:

U.S. Newswire/ — Today Chuck Canterbury, the President of the nation’s largest police labor organization, called on John Kerry to stop making misleading statements regarding his support from the law enforcement community. Both on the campaign trail and in Wednesday night’s debate in Tempe, AZ, Senator Kerry has alluded that he has the support of the majority of these brave men and women.

“As the elected leader of the largest organization representing America’s Federal, State and local law enforcement officers, I believe it’s important to point out yet again that we do not support his candidacy for President,” Canterbury said. “And to be perfectly frank, the groups which do support him actually share the same membership rolls and, taken together, probably comprise less than one-quarter of our nation’s police officers.”

Canterbury further noted that unlike the organizations which Senator Kerry touts, F.O.P. members as a whole decided that the Fraternal Order of Police would endorse the reelection of President George W. Bush. They based their decision, he said, on the record of the Bush Administration in supporting America’s first responders-including helping to secure passage earlier this year of H.R. 218, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, the organization’s top legislative priority. Bush also successfully fought to greatly enhance the benefits for the families of officers killed in the line of duty.

Canterbury also said it was the height of irony that Kerry would use his position on the reauthorization of the assault weapons ban as a reflection of his support from police.

“First, if a police officer is killed by an AK-47, Kerry would oppose the death penalty for the killer,” Canterbury said. “In addition, where was he when this issue was being discussed in the 108th Congress? Where was he when we were working to pass H.R. 218? When it came time to help push for final passage of legislation important to law enforcement, Senator Kerry was regrettably A.W.O.L.”

“Given the facts, I would greatly appreciate it if Senator Kerry would refrain from making similar whimsical assertions regarding his support from the law enforcement community,” Canterbury said. “The real majority of my fellow officers are standing behind President Bush, because he has been there for us.”

The Fraternal Order of Police is the nation’s largest law enforcement labor organization, with more than 318,000 members.

----------

On Wednesday, October 13, NRA`s Political Victory Fund (www.NRAPVF.org) endorsed President George W. Bush for re-election to the White House. "On behalf of NRA`s four million members and tens of millions of American gun owners and sportsmen I`m proud to endorse President Bush for re-election to the White House," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "The differences between President Bush and John Kerry on issues of concern to gun owners and sportsmen couldn`t be clearer. John Kerry has never met a gun control bill he didn`t like. He has voted against gun owners more than 50 times as a U.S. Senator, and has accepted the endorsement of the Humane Society of the United States—one of the most virulently anti-hunting organizations in America," Cox added

----------

The notably Liberal Boston Herald endorsed Bush on Oct. 20:

"While we are in the unusual position of doing so in the face of the candidacy of a native son, our choice was not a close call. Certainly, both John Kerry and George Bush love this country. ... But only one would never sacrifice principle for political advantage. One of these men says he craves the respect of the world. The other by his words and deeds commands it. ... John Kerry, who has served this state well in the U.S. Senate is in his bid for the presidency simply the wrong man, in the wrong place, at the wrong time."

----------

NYC Firefighters Endorse Bush Reelection: The Uniformed Firefighters Association of Greater New York endorsed President George W. Bush for reelection Wednesday evening.

"The reason we're supporting President Bush is leadership," Cassidy told Newsday. "Post-9/11 we needed someone who had the courage and the integrity to do what was right for this country. The president said he would take the fight to the terrorists, and he has done that."

The association lost 343 members on September 11, 2001, and the endorsement of the president carries great symbolic importance.

---------

Muslims for Bush, a group founded by filmmaker Muhammad Ali Hasan and his mother, Seeme Hasan, and committed to “actively campaigning among all Americans, particularly American Muslims, to re-elect the President.” Members of the Hasan family have been active long-time supporters of the President, having reportedly raised “several hundred thousand dollars” for the campaign.

MWU!: Tell us about why you have formed this group?

Muhammad Ali Hasan: The main reason we founded it is we truly believe that President Bush is good for Muslims. We feel like he is getting a bad rap. A lot of Muslims are going against him not for the right reasons. If there is someone who is very wrong for the job, it is John Kerry. Bush is the right guy for Muslims.

MWU!: Which of these three would you pick as the best thing that President Bush has done for Muslims in his first term: the Patriot Act, the invasion of Afghanistan, or the invasion of Iraq?

Muhammad Ali Hasan: That’s a good question. The Patriot Act wasn’t good, but we have to keep in mind that it hasn’t been too too bad. Taking out Saddam Hussein was very important. We argue that Saddam Hussein was responsible for 1 million deaths of Muslims. There was no end in sight to his rampage. But I like that Afghanistan is rebuilding now too.

MWU!: Have you contacted some Muslim organizations? Do you think they will endorse Bush again?

Muhammad Ali Hasan: I think there is a very good chance that Muslim groups will endorse President Bush. Take my word for it--I know that John Kerry 's people just hosted a meeting with Muslim groups, and they made it clear that John Kerry would not back off of anything. And the Muslim groups made it clear to him that they won't give him an endorsement.

----------

The National Troopers Coalition (NTC) with its 46,000 members announced their endorsement of President George W. Bush. The National Troopers Coalition comprised of State Police Troopers and Highway Patrol Officers from across our nation, unanimously voted to endorse the President at its national meeting in Galveston, Texas earlier this year.

"The National Troopers Coalition is proud to stand with President Bush and offer its endorsement today. The President's commitment to family values, education and community affairs is the right recipe for reducing crime in America." said NTC Chairman Casey Perry. "President Bush is not just talking the talk, he is walking the walk. He has distributed more than $11 billion since 2001 to state and local law enforcement for use in counter-terrorism preparedness efforts, established the Department of Homeland Security and acted to pass the Patriot Act."

5. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    5) The media lies and ignores facts to support Kerry and help him win election:

This is a letter from Ray Reynolds, a medic in the Iowa Army National Guard, serving in Iraq.

As I head off to Baghdad for the final weeks of my stay in Iraq, I wanted to say thanks to all of you who did not believe the media. They have done a very poor job of covering everything that has happened. I am sorry that I have not been able to visit all of you during my two week leave back home. And just so you can rest at night knowing something is happening in Iraq that is noteworthy, I thought I would pass this on to you. This is the list of things that has
    happened in Iraq recently: (Please share it with your friends and compare it to the version that your paper is producing.)

* Over 400,000 kids have up-to-date immunizations.
    * School attendance is up 80% from levels before the war.
    * Over 1,500 schools have been renovated and rid of the weapons stored there so education can occur.
    * The port of Uhm Qasar was renovated so grain can be off-loaded from ships faster.
    * The country had its first 2 billion barrel export of oil in August.
    * Over 4.5 million people have clean drinking water for the first time ever in Iraq.
    * The country now receives 2 times the electrical power it did before the war.
    * 100% of the hospitals are open and fully staffed, compared to 35% before the war.
    * Elections are taking place in every major city, and city councils are in place.
    * Sewer and water lines are installed in every major city.
    * Over 60,000 police are patrolling the streets.
    * Over 100,000 Iraqi civil defense police are securing the country.
    * Over 80,000 Iraqi soldiers are patrolling the streets side by side with US soldiers.
    * Over 400,000 people have telephones for the first time ever
    * Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to prevent the spread of germs.
    * An interim constitution has been signed.
    * National Elections are scheduled in January for the first time ever .
    * Girls are allowed to attend school.
    * Textbooks that don’t mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years.

Don’t believe for one second that these people do not want us there. I have met many, many people from Iraq that want us there, and in a bad way. They say they will never see the freedoms we talk about but they hope their children will. We are doing a good job in Iraq and I challenge anyone, anywhere to dispute me on these facts. So If you happen to run into John Kerry, be sure to give him my email address and send him to Denison, Iowa. This soldier will set him straight. If you are like me and very disgusted with how this period of rebuilding has been portrayed, email this to a friend and let them know there are good things happening.

Ray Reynolds, SFC
    Iowa Army National Guard
    234th Signal Battalion

---------

After months of what proved to be empty threats, military commanders and ordinary Afghans said yesterday the vote was a serious setback for the holdouts of the hardline Islamic regime that was driven from power by U.S. bombs almost three years ago for harbouring Osama bin Laden. "Yesterday was a big defeat for the Taliban and a huge defeat for al-Qaida," said Lt.-Gen. David Barno, the top American commander in Afghanistan. "It shows that the political process is overwhelming any influence they may have."

Voters also said the Taliban had been exposed as weak. Bismillah Jan, a driver for an aid group in this southern city, where the Taliban began, said his fear of attacks Saturday quickly disappeared when he saw the heavy security on the way to the polling station where the atmosphere "was like a festival."

---------

Afghans display an infectious enthusiasm about the poll. . . . The burly nomad with a henna beard and a fierce scowl grips the pen between his thick fingers. Turgul cannot read the election material around him, but is determined to practice the first vote of his life. The turbaned tribesman drags the pen across a scrap of paper. "Just like that," he says uncertainly, holding aloft the squiggle that will mark his choice. . . .

---------

Abdul Wahid's desire to vote in next month's Afghan presidential election is driven by a simple logic. "I will vote because I have become sick of war," said the unemployed teacher from the northern province of Faryab, who has been living as a refugee in Pakistan for the past three years. "When I was born, there was fighting in Afghanistan. Now I am 22 years old and am a father of a son, but the fighting is still going on."

Wahid said he did not want his children to live with the violence, as a dozen other jobless refugees, some with long flowing beards and turbans, looked on. Wahid was hopeful that the presidential election Oct. 9 would help end the violence in Afghanistan, ravaged by more than two decades of war and factional fighting that forced millions to take refuge in neighboring countries, including Pakistan.

---------

USAID
    # 10 million Afghans registered to vote
    # Five million children vaccinated
    # School enrollment explodes
    # Reconstruction accelerates
    # 3.7 million refugees return
    # Private construction booming
    # New Afghan currency introduced
    # Agriculture output nearly doubled
    # Afghan National Army and National Police created
    # Regional militias disarming

---------

Germany is providing valuable training assistance to get the Afghan economy going. Sandra Holzherr tells me about her involvement:

Since August 2002 I am coordinating several qualification programs in Afghanistan which ILTIS GmbH is carrying out by order of the German Foreign Office. And everytime I travel there I see progress and still an unbelievable motivation of the people to change everything to the better. Since 2002 we have trained 16 multipliers in the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs and founded together with them the Afghan Management Training Center. In the meantime those trainers have already multiplied their newly gained knowledge in modern public administration in more than 25 own seminars. In the Ministry of Finance we have implemented a document management system and reorganized the central archive.

---------

China is continuing with its assistance to Afghan authorities: "The Chinese government donated a large number of office equipment and recreation materials to the Afghan transitional government . . . in a fresh bid to further promote the traditional friendly ties between the two countries. . . . The new shipment includes 400 desktop computers, 300 printers, a number of TV sets, digital cameras, as well as footballs, volleyballs and athletic garments with a combined worth of 1 million US dollars." Previously, China donated 20,000 pairs of police uniforms and boots as well as 8,000 police overcoats and communications equipment and vehicles worth $1.4 million. And Pakistan has handed over to Afghanistan the last 30 of 200 trucks in the last installment of a $100 million reconstruction package.

---------

Duelfer, an adviser to the CIA, said at the Oct. 6 hearing that a large amount of material had been transferred by Iraq to Syria before the March 2003 war.

"A lot of materials left Iraq and went to Syria," Duelfer said. "There was certainly a lot of traffic across the border points. We've got a lot of data to support that, including people discussing it."

The Iraq Survey Group, headed by Duelfer, said Russia, Syria, Jordan and other arms suppliers were paid from Iraqi oil revenues.

A CIA report, authored by the Iraq Survey Group, identified Russia and Syria atop a list of 12 arms suppliers to Iraq until the U.S.-led war against Baghdad started in March 2003.

The report listed Russia and Syria above North Korea — regarded as the leading missile proliferator to the Middle East — as leading suppliers to Baghdad. Jordan was the third largest supplier of weapons to Iraq.

After Jordan came Belarus, China, India, North Korea, South Korea, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Ukraine, France, Romania and Turkey. The report said these countries were involved in both "weapons of mass destruction and arms-related procurement."

---------

ABC News "fact check" corrections for President Bush now at four-to-two over those for Senator Kerry since ABC News Political Director Mark Halperin's memo last Friday calling upon his colleagues to hold Bush more accountable since "the current Bush attacks on Kerry involve distortions and taking things out of context in a way that goes beyond what Kerry has done." After Friday's debate, ABC corrected two Bush claims but just one Kerry allegation and, in the first "fact check" since then, Tuesday's World News Tonight corrected two supposed Bush misstatements in a campaign speech, but just one Kerry charge.

ABC's fresh corrections of Bush were for marginal misstatements at best: How Bush claimed Kerry "earned his ranking as the most liberal member of the United States Senate" when that rating was just for 2003 and over his career the same publication actually ranked Kerry as the "11th most liberal Senator" -- as if that means he's not liberal -- and how Bush charged that in Kerry's health plan eight of ten people covered will be added to a government program when it's really a mere 6.5 in ten.

---------

Jennings gets questions about a CBS report on Bush's National Guard service, for which CBS news anchor Dan Rather later apologized and said the story was a mistake. He's also asked about Sinclair Broadcasting's decision to air a controversial documentary on Sen. John Kerry's Vietnam war record. Another big question regards an ABC internal memo from the political director suggesting that reporters need not "reflexively" hold both sides of the presidential election "equally" accountable.

Jennings said the media is now under the hot lights.

"I'm a little concerned about this notion everybody wants us to be objective," Jennings said.

---------

AP and Reuters either use 'scare quotes' or around the word terrorist, or refuse to use the word at all if Americans or Israelies are the victims.

---------

John F. Kerry’s strategists pride themselves on the sheer speed of their advertising effort as they churn out one response after another to President Bush’s attack spots.

Now it turns out that some of the Kerry commercials are being written, edited, produced and put on satellites for the purpose of generating news articles. They have not actually aired on any network or local station — except in reports about the Democrat’s campaign.

Since Sept. 1, the Kerry camp has released and publicized more than half a dozen commercials, on subjects ranging from taxes to health care to the war in Iraq, without buying time for them, either nationally or in battleground states. Others have run in only one or two markets after being unveiled with considerable fanfare. In effect, these have been video news releases purporting to be substantial paid advertising.

----------

Connie Cominsky, a suburban businesswoman from Chicago who has been quoted many times by French news wire Agence France Presse, most recently in a piece identifying her as “the archetype disillusioned Republican.” Earlier this year, AFP had a story about Connie Cominsky “taking part” in a protest march.

Agence France Presse is guilty of blatantly misleading their readers. Cominsky wasn’t just “taking part.” She was one of the organizers of the march.

Connie Cominsky helps run an anti-war group called Band Of Sisters; scroll down the page a little and you’ll see her picture and bio. (Hat tip: Mike.)

Calling her an “archetype Republican” or quoting her as an unbiased source is nothing more than a lie. But it’s another very good example of the hidden agenda of mainstream media.

-----------

See how the modern media is compared to the media from WWII

http://www.moveamericaforward.org/Video/MAF-7401-HI.wmv

---------

and lots more here http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005771

6. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    6) Kerry and Edwards will say anything to get elected:

In the past 10 days or so, the Kedwards campaign has:

Accused the Bush administration of planning to reinstitute a military draft.

Recycled the "no blood for oil" canard.

Alleged that the Bush administration is somehow in the pocket of the Saudi royal family.

Told voters that, if they elect John Kerry, "people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk, get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."

Advised Democratic campaign workers to launch a "pre-emptive strike" charging voter "intimidation" on election day even if no evidence exists.

Warned Florida voters that Republicans are "trying to keep people from voting."

Blamed the flu vaccine shortage on President Bush.

Twice called attention to the fact that Mary Cheney is a lesbian.

---------

John Kerry got things going over the weekend with an accusation that President Bush is planning a "January surprise" to "privatize" Social Security. And, right on time, his campaign is rolling out an ad that claims Mr. Bush "has a plan that cuts Social Security benefits by 30% to 45%."Even the Washington Post, a liberal newspaper, is accusing Kerry of engaging in demagoguery. In an editorial the Post says that Kerry is trying to "... scare seniors rather than engage in that serious discussion." The Wall Street Journal calls Kerry's tactics the "scare tactics of a desperate candidate."

---------

We now have advertisements running on television saying that if Bush can't make sure that there's enough flu vaccine on hand for the flu season, how can we have any confidence that the Bush administration will be able to have enough bio-terror vaccines on hand?

---------

"John Kerry's running mate again proved he will say anything to get elected when he told voters yesterday that he supports allowing snowmobile riding in national parks. Kerry's own website says he would reinstate the Clinton Administration's snowmobile ban in parks. After promising Kerry would enable the paralyzed to walk again, Edwards' snowmobiling comments confirm there is nothing the Kerry campaign won't say for political gain."

---------

Kerry's words:
    "Never again will one million African Americans be denied the right to exercise their vote in the United States of America."

There is absolutely NO evidence to support any allegation that a million blacks were denied the right to cast a legal vote. None. The Justice Department said it didn't happen, and the bipartisan General Accounting Office has chimed in with its own report saying that the evidence doesn't exist. This is an entirely made-up statistic ... made up by the Democrats in order to both frighten and enrage black voters. Frighten them by making them believe that there is some sort of an organized effort by evil Republicans to deny them their vote, and to enrage them so that they will turn out in huge numbers to right this imaginary wrong.

---------

Vietnam veteran Steve Pitkin claims that John Kerry pressured him to lie in 1971 when he claimed U.S. soldiers engaged in atrocities during the Vietnam War.

---------

In remarks following Wednesday night's third and final presidential debate, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, speaking in his capacity as a Kerry adviser, repeated an earlier criticism of the Bush administration -- accusing it of pursuing the "ideology of the Confederacy."

7. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    7) John Kerry's campaign will do anything to get elected:

Defiance County Sheriff David Westrick said that Mr. Staton was working on behalf of a Toledo woman, Georgianne Pitts, to register new voters. She, in turn, was working on behalf of the NAACP National Voter Fund, which was formed by the NAACP in 2000 to register new voters.

Sheriff Westrick said that Pitts, 41, of Toledo, admitted she gave Mr. Staton crack cocaine in lieu of cash for supplying her with completed voter registration forms. The sheriff declined to say how much crack cocaine Pitts supplied Mr. Staton.

---------

In Florida, the Kerry team is headed by Miami lawyer Steven Zack, whose partner, David Boies, argued Gore's case before the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000. Nationwide, the Democrats plan to have more than 10,000 lawyers standing by at the polls in battleground states to identify and address voting problems, particularly in the heavily minority precincts that saw a disproportionate number of ballots discarded in 2000. About 2,000 lawyers will be stationed in Florida alone, Democrats say.

With memories of Palm Beach County's infamous "butterfly ballot" still fresh, the legal team is scrutinizing ballot designs and has money set aside for conducting a public education campaign should a confusing ballot layout make that necessary.

Meanwhile, Democratic legal specialists are ready to wage recount battles in as many as five states at once. The Kerry campaign said it has raised more than $3 million for legal expenses.

"This has been one of the top, if not the top, priorities," said the Kerry campaign's general counsel, Marc Elias. "The legal team is satisfied that we are working for a candidate who will not shy away from a full engagement with the other side."

John Kerry realizes that the worst blunder Al Gore made in his challenge four years ago was not claiming that he had been elected. Thus "Kerry, bracing for a potential fight over election results, will not hesitate to declare victory Nov. 2 and defend it, advisers say. He also will be prepared to name a national security team before knowing whether he's secured the presidency," the Associated Press revealed today.

Gore "never declared victory, an omission Kerry's advisers - many of whom worked for Gore - now believe created a sense of inevitability in voters' minds about Bush's presidency," AP reported.

Kerry's spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said, "We will be ready to hit the ground running and begin a fresh start in this country, given that so many critical issues are before us."

Kerry's squad of election workers includes six "'SWAT teams' of lawyers and political operatives [that] will be situated around the country with fueled-up jets awaiting Kerry's orders to speed to a battleground state. The teams have been told to be ready to fly on the evening of the election to begin mounting legal and political fights. Every battleground state will have a SWAT team within an hour of its borders," AP reported.

---------

John Kerry gave Michael Moore a place of honor at the Democratic Party Convention in Boston. . Jimmy Carter, a former Democratic president said that Moore's film "Fahrenheit 9/11" was one of his two favorite films.

8. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    8) John Kerry is losing suport from moderate Democrats:

Former New York City Mayor Edward Koch, a Democrat, will for the first time in his life vote for a Republican presidential candidate this year because he feels Kerry "doesn't have the stomach" to fight terrorism:

Senator John Kerry summed up his philosophy and lack of dedication to the fight in the first presidential debate when he called the war in Iraq "the wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time," and "But if and when you do it, Jim [Lehrer], you have to do it in a way that passes the test, that passes the global test, where your countrymen, your people, understand fully why you're doing what you're doing, and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons."

Many members of the New Labour Party in Britain would like to bring down Tony Blair because his philosophy and actions in support of the war in Iraq are in accord with those of President Bush. On this issue, Tony Blair's opponents are the intellectual descendants of Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, who, until the very end when Hitler marched into Poland, sought to placate the Nazi dictator, foolishly believing that negotiations could achieve peace with Germany, safety for the world and, in Chamberlain's words, "peace for our time."
    Now Chamberlain's name is a synonym for appeasement.

In Australia, a similar battle for the hearts and minds of Aussies over the war in Iraq and the approach to international terrorism ended with the re-election by a large majority of Prime Minister John Howard, a fervent supporter of the war in Iraq and an advocate of the Bush Doctrine, which targets the terrorists as well as those who harbor them.

If Senator John Kerry is elected, I have no doubt our determination to hunt down terrorists who threaten the security not only of the U.S. but also of our allies will diminish. Terrorists have had major successes in imposing their demands on nations like Spain, the Philippines and Turkey, all of which have given in to terrorist threats by removing military or civilian personnel from Iraq.

We are in a war with Islamic fanatics willing to sacrifice their lives in a way not seen since Japan sent Kamikaze pilots against the allies in World War II, except that the Kamikazes attacked only military targets. The Islamic fanatics' stated goal is the revival of the Islamic Caliphate that once ruled a major part of the world. They seek to destroy not only Western civilization, which they despise, but also moderate Muslim governments like those of Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan and even Saudi Arabia, because those countries want to maintain good relations with the U.S.

Senator Kerry continues to suggest that the U.S. could get greater support from European nations if they were given a role in our decision-making. We can be certain the first demand the European Union would make of him would be for the U.S. to abandon Israel and allow the European Union led by France to dictate the terms of a Middle East settlement, including the borders of Israel. Without the U.S. support provided by President Bush, Israel would quickly be devoured by these Europeans whose only interest is to expand their business relations with the Muslim world.

When I make these points to my fellow Democrats living in the battleground states of Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio (the latter of which I will be visiting this week), they respond, "Yes, but we disagree with the president on so many domestic issues." I, too, disagree with the president on every major domestic issue, from taxes to Social Security. Yet I believe those issues are trumped by the overriding need to defeat international terrorism, the biggest threat to our freedom.

---------

Zell Miller:

I ask which leader is it today that has the vision, the willpower and, yes, the backbone to best protect my family? The clear answer to that question has placed me in this hall with you tonight. For my family is more important than my party.There is but one man to whom I am willing to entrust their future and that man's name is George Bush. From John Kerry, they get a "yes-no-maybe" bowl of mush that can only encourage our enemies and confuse our friends.

http://www.2004nycgop.org/cgi-data/speeches/files/ie65ay1zuai2r6ttb19uj6s2y6q7930j.shtml

---------

The first sign that many would-be Democratic voters are hoping for a Bush victory probably came in New Jersey. Al Gore won the Garden State by nearly 16 points in 2000, and this year Mr. Kerry leads it by 20 points on when voters are asked who'd do a better job on education, job creation and other domestic issues. But because the issue of national security is on the table, the Democrat's lead in many polls has been in single digits, and several polls have shown a tie race. Republicans are so confident that the state is now in play, Mr. Bush spent yesterday campaigning there.

The president is looking for voters like Carol Del Tufo, a middle-aged teacher and lifelong Democrat. "Look, I'm voting for Bush," she told Washington Post reporter Michael Powell in Holmdel, N.J., last week. "He's very strong, and there's no 'maybe' in his voice."

----------

Mississippi State Democrats Endorse Bush

Saying they are about people and not parties, a group of former and current elected officials declared their support for President George W. Bush Monday at a Capitol news conference.

Retired Cong. Sonny Montgomery of Meridian joined former Jackson mayor, Dale Danks, and others in making the public announcement.

"We all saw (Georgia senator) Zell Miller take a stand for President Bush last month at the Republican Convention. Despite his political affiliation, he realizes the stakes are high and that President Bush is the man for the job," said Montgomery.

9. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    9) John Kerry is weak on defending freedom, and the nation from foreign attackers:

from the Washington Post:
    Kerry's belief in working with allies runs so deep that he has maintained that the loss of American life only justified if it occurs in the course of a mission with international support. In 1994, discussing the possibility of U.S. troops being killed in Bosnia, he said, "If you mean dying in the course of the United Nations effort, yes, it is worth that. If you mean dying American troops unilaterally going in , the answer is unequivocally no."

---------

Much has been made of John Kerry's statement, offered during his first debate with President Bush, that he would apply a "global" test when determining the legitimacy of U.S. military action. The test's meaning is not entirely clear, but voters may justly ask when, if ever, would Mr. Kerry be prepared to use military force to vindicate American national interests. Indeed, over the past 30 years, it is difficult to find a single use of the U.S. military, humanitarian missions aside, that Mr. Kerry genuinely supported.

This is especially true of the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War. Mr. Kerry, who at the time was not running for higher office and essentially came as close to voting his conscience as any politician can, opposed authorizing the use of American forces to drive Saddam Hussein from Kuwait. If ever there was a case that met a "global" test, here it was. Without provocation, Saddam invaded and annexed a neighboring country. It was, perhaps, the most naked act of aggression since Hitler and Stalin invaded Poland in 1939. Far from rushing to war, President George H.W. Bush assembled a broad international coalition, including Mr. Kerry's current loadstar of legitimacy, France, and obtained one of the strongest resolutions ever adopted by the United Nations Security Council. Mr. Kerry claimed that diplomacy should be given a chance. If, in these circumstances, Mr. Kerry could not bring himself to support the use of force, it is difficult to conceive of any situation where, freed from political pressures, he would.

10. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    10) Kerry's wife is a disgrace

Teresa Heinz Kerry says she doesn't know if first lady Laura Bush has ever had "a real job".

Laura Bush taught in public schools in Texas from 1968 to 1977, the year she married George W. Bush.

---------

Teresa Kerry gave out her athritis remedy of daily eating white grapes soaked in gin.

---------

“The Taliban is back running Afghanistan,” Heinz Kerry said.

---------

“No American boy or girl should lose their lives for oil,” she said.

11. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    11) Kerry undermines our allies efforts for partisan gain:

John Kerry's campaign has warned Australians that the Howard Government's support for the US in Iraq has made them a bigger target for international terrorists. Diana Kerry, younger sister of the Democrat presidential candidate, told The Weekend Australian that the Bali bombing and the recent attack on the Australian embassy in Jakarta clearly showed the danger to Australians had increased. "Australia has kept faith with the US and we are endangering the Australians now by this wanton disregard for international law and multilateral channels," she said, referring to the invasion of Iraq. Asked if she believed the terrorist threat to Australians was now greater because of the support for Republican George W. Bush, Ms Kerry said: "The most recent attack was on the Australian embassy in Jakarta--I would have to say that." Ms Kerry, who taught school in Indonesia for 15 years until 2000, is heading a campaign called Americans Overseas for Kerry which aims to secure the votes of Americans abroad--including the more than 100,000 living in Australia.

---------

Shortly after Allawi, the interim government’s prime minister, gave a rosy portrayal of progress toward peace in Iraq, Kerry said the assessment contradicted reality on the ground. “The prime minister and the president are here obviously to put their best face on the policy, but the fact is that the CIA estimates, the reporting, the ground operations and the troops all tell a different story,” Kerry said. Allawi told a joint meeting of Congress that democratic elections will take place in Iraq in January as scheduled, but Kerry said that was unrealistic.

This is one of Kerry’s most shameful statements yet. When he refuses to support the legitimate leader of Iraq, recognized by the entire UN Security Council, he is implicitly aiding the murderers and mujahideen. He’s telling them that if they hold to their course, and keep killing Iraqis and coalition soldiers and spreading chaos and death, they’re going to win—and especially if he is elected.

---------

As John Kerry continues alienating our existing allies with insults and belittling comments, Colin Powell points out that Kerry’s promise to enlist more allies is nothing but a cynical election year fantasy: “I don’t want to get into the political debate, as you noted, and Senator Kerry can make these statements, but I’m not sure that he can really back them up or that suddenly support that is not there now will magically appear with a change in the presidency,” Said Powell.

12. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    12) The would be allies of John Kerry have already betrayed the US and will not help Kerry either.

The report by Charles Duelfer, head of the Iraq Survey Group, alleges the Iraqi government manipulated the U.N. program from 1996 to 2003 in order to acquire billions of dollars in illicit gains and to import illegal goods, including acquiring parts for missile systems.

The alleged schemes included an Iraqi system for allocating lucrative oil vouchers, which permitted recipients to purchase certain amounts of oil at a profit.

Benon Sevan, the former chief of the U.N. program, is among dozens of people who allegedly received the vouchers, according to the report, which said Saddam personally approved the list.

The secret voucher program was dominated by Russian, French and Chinese recipients, in that order, with Saddam spreading the wealth widely to prominent business men, politicians, foreign government ministries and political parties, the report said.

The report names former French Interior Minister Charles Pasqua, Indonesian president Megawati Sukarnoputri, and the Russian radical political figure Vladimir Zhirinovsky as voucher recipients, for example, and other foreign governments range from Yemen to Namibia.

The governments of Jordan, Syria, Turkey and Egypt did a brisk illicit oil trade with Iraq as well — more than $8 billion from 1991 until 2003, the report said.

“These governments were full parties to all aspects of Iraq’s unauthorized oil exports and imports,” it said.

---------

A French official said Saturday that even if Sen. John Kerry defeats President Bush in November's election, his country won't provide troops to help the U.S. in Iraq - the same policy France has under President Bush.

"If Kerry is elected, we wouldn't send troops either," the unnamed official told the New York Daily News. "We don't need any more targets in Iraq."

The warning that even a President Kerry will have to "go it alone in Iraq" as far as France is concerned flies in the face of a key part of the candidate's Iraq strategy.

The top Democrat has been boasting for months that if he wins the White House, he'll persuade America's old European allies like France to pitch in and send troops to Iraq.

---------

Kofi Annan, secretary-general of the United Nations, finds it "inconceivable" that Russia, France or China might have been influenced in Security Council debates by Saddam Hussein's Oil for Food business and bribes. "These are very serious and important governments," Mr. Annan told Britain's ITV News Sunday. "You are not dealing with banana republics."

Berlin-based Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index, which ranks 133 countries by levels of corruption, from best to worst, ranks China about halfway down, worse than Colombia or Peru and tied for 66th place with Panama, Sri Lanka and Syria. Russia does worse yet, ranked between Romania and Algeria, and tied for 86th place with Mozambique.

France does much better. Though it ranks as more corrupt than the U.S., Israel or Japan, it ties with Spain for a still respectable 23rd place. That makes France one of the most corrupt countries not in the entire world, but merely in Western Europe.

Alas, such dignity may come as cold comfort to the French, given that Mr. Annan did not actually deny that the Chinese, Russians and French had taken big payoffs from Saddam. Mr. Annan merely disputed that the Chinese, Russians and French would have delivered anything in return for the bribes. In other words, they may be corrupt, but at least they weren't honest about it.

In dealing with Saddam, Mr. Annan no doubt had a lot to keep track of. There are many questions yet to be answered about Oil for Food before final blame is parceled out. But if the idea is to save the U.N. itself from becoming the world's biggest banana institution, there are serious and important questions to be asked about why Secretary-General Kofi Annan finds it "inconceivable" that in the U.N.'s core debates, rampant graft might matter.

13. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Kartaron, I think you are on the wrong track here... This elections aren't about the future, they are about the past. We (that is... you) had 4 years of Bush now, and he leaves the nation devided. It has been long since politics were such a hot topic in America, and I can't see it otherwise then Bush is the cause of all that. About 50 % of the nation is sick and tired of Mr. Bush, they think he messed up and they don't care about who's going to be the next President, even if it would be Sadam Hussein himself running for the Democrats. Now, miraculously enough, also about 50 % (a bit less) thinks Jr. did a good job, going into war, relieving taxes, and things like that.

Now, what I want to say is that the discussion is not about Kerry, and his plans with the nation.... It's about Bush. Half the nation is pro-Bush, the other half not necesserally pro-Kerry, but could be better classified as Contra-Bush. And I have to admit that, looking to his plans with the future, he could have done a better job. And if he would have, more people would have voted for him, no doubt.

But look at it from the other side. Even though Kerry is not a super kandidate, he still is able to get about half the votes, comparable to the people voting for Bush, now. I think that, and you with your 12 posts prove that point. Now, I would say that if I were Bush, I wouldn't even atempt to get re-elected, if half the nation would be against me. That's just not the best basis for power. And I'm sure if the Dutch PM would go into elections with such odds, he would resign, no matter what!

14. lair dragon smaug

lair dragon smaug Dragon's Strength

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Vote for Kerry just cause you dont like Bush, WRONG. This isn't a popularity contest and should'nt be decided that way.

15. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    However wrong it may be, things look as though they are that way. How else would you explain the sudden massive interest in politcs by the population? Look, I don't like it either. It's just one of those things that are bound to happen in a two party system. There is no real alternative to the two options of Democrat or Repubican, so a vote for one is a direct vote against the other...

16. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

This thread isnt about Bush but on your point... Bush's poll numbers are higher today than what the results of the election were in 2000. The country is split over party lines no matter who runs. He could have done a better job, nobody is perfect, but I cant imagine a democrat running a worse campaign than Kerry so I think if the dems had nominated a couch for president it would still be close.

17. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    With that said, you still haven't explained the fact why the nation is at once so interested in politics in general and the election with the ineveratble battle between the two candidates. Both are lame candidates, so that couldn't be it...

And, of course, you are right about Democrats being Democrats and Republicans being republicans, no matter what. But, as it seems now, the turnout will be much higher then 4 years ago. I don't expect all those people have preprogrammed prevalence. Those are the people who are going to decide who will be in the whitehouse for the next 4 years.

18. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Bush hasn't divided the nation. The pandering and lies of democrats trying to incite voters has divided the nation. When you have people like Al Sharpton blatantly lying and saying republicans are trying to stop blacks from voting, or republicans are racists, or blacks weren't allowed to vote in Florida. Or Michael Moore with his bag of lies. You know he was sued by a newspaper for digitally altering their frontpage and using it in his movie? Alot of Kerry supporters do not even like him.

The fact is there was a glitch that caused some people to be incorrectly labelled as felons and they were not allowed to vote in Florida. More whites were turned away than blacks, and overall blacks made up something like 20% of the vote while only being 15% of the population. Meaning they had a higher voter turnout that whites. But Democrats gloss over this fact and if you ask most African Americans they'll tell you that they believe what people like Al Sharpton has told them. Its just shameful.

Before the 2000 election voters were apathetic. It doesn't so close because the candidates were so different, it was so close because they were so similar. Bush won, and the actions of the democratic party since then have been for no reason other than to create division. The division of the country is most certainly not Bush's fault.

19. lair dragon smaug

lair dragon smaug Dragon's Strength

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good Point,

20. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I can't agree. I would say that there is a correlation between Bush's policies and the increased interest of the American population in Politics and the election compared to the last elections, and probably many before. If all of America would agree that Bush was the best President in the history of the United States, debates wouldn't be so fierce, would they?

And sure, the Democrats would do all to enhance the feeling Bush is the wrong man at the wrong place at the wrong time. But that's not new at all. Who can't remember the filth slung at President Clinton by the Republicans when he was in office and election. Accept that it happens, this is America we're talking about.