Why Wasn't Faramir Tempted By the Ring?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Lady_of_Shalott, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Caelin

Caelin Elf Ranger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And he was very loyal to his master Frodo. And he also was very pure of hard, and he saw what destruction the ring caused. In that way, I think Sam and Faramir are like each other in resisting the ring's power.

2. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    He WAS tempted by the ring. But his strenght of will was superior to that of his brother, and enough to overcome the temptation.

3. dragoon

dragoon Let the Apocalypse begin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Because he was aussie of course the only thing we are interested in are Cars, beer and sex lol not fancy bloody jewelery

4. Midoriko

Midoriko New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree that he absolutely was tempted, but his knowledge of the ring and everything it could do was enough to keep him from succumbing to temptation. Most of the people tempted did not fully understand the ring and the fact that it could not be used for good purposes--Faramir had already seen what it could do and was therefore able to resist. Sam, Aragorn, Galadriel, etc. were all the same; they had a better understanding of the evil of the ring, and they also knew what it did to those they cared about, and what the world was meant to become.
    Tom, on the other hand (in my opinion) was able to resist simply because he is something above temptation, or the evil of Sauron.

5. The4thMusketeer

The4thMusketeer New Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Because he lacked ambition, or was scared of the consequences. Both can be disguised in a veil of moral rectitude...:saurumon:

6. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I believe it was Faramir's own innate humility which allowed him to avoid the lure of the One Ring, though both Denethor and Boromir fell victim to a lust for it. As I see it, there are only two ways to avoid the contagion of evil which the ring represents: either be so strong of mind that it casts no stain on your heart (as in the case of Gandalf and Galadriel) or be of sufficient modesty that promises of glory mean nothing. Faramir falls firmly into the latter category. He even states 'not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her using the weapon of the Dark Lord...no, I do not wish for such triumphs.' Faramir craves no such renown, and thereby saves himself from coming under the influence of Sauron.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  7. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Faramir was tempted. He almost handed Frodo over to his father. But it wasn't because Faramir wanted power, all he wanted was his fathers love. He felt as though he never received it, which is mostly true because Borimir set such a high standard to live up to. but after seeing the risks Frodo was willing to subject himself to, just to do the right thing. he realised that there are more important things than ego.

8. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    He WAS tempted. He simply had better control over his impulses, than...say...his older brother.

9. Dark Lion

Dark Lion New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Faramir was tempted no doubt. But his will was stronger than his brother. He was also smart enough to know the ring was his brother's downfall, and that he could not wield the Ring himself

10. MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also think that Faramir wouldn't have seen a point for having the Ring like Boromir did. Boromir wanted to use it as a weapon and Faramir didn't think like that. It was the same with most other people. If they could think of a use for the Ring in their own power and overlook reason they were more sorely tempted.

Search tags for this page
faramir and the ring
faramir tempted by the ring
gandalf aragorn tempted ring

was aragorn tempted by the ring

was faramir tempted by the ring
what characters were tempted by the ring
why did faramir not like war

why is faramir not tempted by the ring

why wasnt sam tempted by the ring