Why Wasn't Faramir Tempted By the Ring?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Lady_of_Shalott, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    This is something I've always pondered. Forget about the movie, I'm talking about the book here. He just says he would not take it if it were lying by the side of the road. It seems that this is explained by the fact that he knows exactly what it is, but then, so do a lot of other people, and they are tempted too. What do you all think?

2. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -2
    Because he was like Aragorn he was pure at heart. The Evil in the ring had no power on him. He did not lust for power and authority. He was also like Legolas he did not like war we liked song and dance.

3. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There are a number of characters that seem to be uneffected by the Ring (in the books), most notably good ol' Tom Bombadil. Faramir always stands in contrast to his brother, who is displayed as much more of a brute - I think that this is a subtle part of Tolkein's philosophy, and the message of the noble being one who is content with nature and art and lore. It is the drive for power, and war that is threatening Middle Earth. I have to admit it would have been hard to make a compelling movie however, if not all of the characters were somehow tempted by the Ring. The futility of sending a hobbit somewhat loses any visual effect.

4. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you got to http://www.istad.org/tolkien/faramir.html, it has a great explanation on the difference between movie and book Faramir, but not why he refused the Ring in the first place.

EDIT
    It turns out it has a good reason.

"Book: Faramir realizes immediately from Sam's words that his brother tried to kill Frodo over it, and even so for a moment the Ring has him in its power before he comes to his senses, grieving, and offers to help the hobbits. He already knows the Ring has destroyed his brother, so needs no proof to see its peril. And he had sworn a vow not to take it."
    From the site.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  5. Cirdan

Cirdan The Pandaren

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Because he is a strong person, and also pure of heart, he has no belonging by taking the ring, because if he brings the ring to his father, his father kinda hates him, Denethor would take it for himself. He would use it to take over middle-earth I believe.

6. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Faramir states somewhere quite clearly that he sees no beauty in wars and battles (something in the lines of ''I do not admire the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for his swiftness''), meaning, I suppose, that he doesn't desire the military triumphs the Ring may have offered, BUT: this doesn't explain why he wasn't tempted to to take the ring ''for a desire to do good'', just like Gandalf was.

isengard, thanks for the link and for bringing out a good point.

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    I think he was tempted, but was able to resist, just like Aragorn.

8. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My pleasure.

9. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    And who knows what would have happened if Boromir had never seen the ring and didn't know very much about it? For Faramir, it was enough for him that Boromir wanted it for his own glory and that it was his downfall.

10. boromir_the_ranger

boromir_the_ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think he justed had the will power to not be tempted unlike boromir his brother

11. Iluvatar2004

Iluvatar2004 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think its more he realize that the temtation of the ring is what destroyed the life of his brother...That made him not want it. Also, He really was pure at heart...and hes def. one of my favorite characters

12. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I agree with what everyone said about Faramir.
    For Tolkien fans who read the Silmarillion:
    But there's something I formed an idea about Tom Bombadil, and I found others who think the same way in the Valar Guild. I think that Tom Bombadil was one of the Maiar serving Yavanna, as he said that he was the "eldest, here before the rivers and the trees...Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dar under the stars when it was fearless--before the Dark One came from outside." (FotR). The Dark One is Melkor, and it follows that Tom was a Maiar, since he remembers the creation of Middle-Earth.
    Also, Gandalf, who we can almost be sure of being a Maiar, said in the RotK: "I am going to have a long talk with Bombadil: such a talk as I have not had in all my time. He is a moss gatherer, and I have been a stone doomed to rolling. But now my rolling days are ending, and now we shall have much to say to one another."
    Anyone have any feedback on this theory?

13. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Definitely. He had a strong heart, and a strong will. He'd given his oath (if you go by the books) that he would not try to use it, and he kept it. He showed his immense character and courage, and also a great amount of self-sacrifice (he must have known that bringing the Ring to Denethor would achieve at least a modest amount of favour). Faramir is also one of my favourites.

14. Negrolef

Negrolef New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Faramir wasn't tempted because of his honor.

15. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 the poor mans old breed

Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    I'm not really sure why he wasn't tempted but I agree with yall's "pure of heart" theory.

16. anna236

anna236 Modern day Anna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that in the movie when Denethor was talking about him being a Wizards Pupil, saying that he always wanted to be noble like the kings of old, that that gives us a clue to why he was not tempted. He and Aragorn were a lot alike, in the noble part, and therefor were not tempted.:halo:

17. black_dragon

black_dragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its been a while since i have read the books. but now you have opened up a new can of worms for me, im wondering the same thing espically seeming his brother was going to kill frodo for it. why didnt faramir take it?:eek: :eek:

18. bennyhils

bennyhils Cause it takes a Lot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have read the book plenty- but it doesn't say why, my guess is, his metal is stronger than that of his brother... Or maybe he realized that it would go to his brother should it be found by him- what with his brother being the stewards favourite son and all and realized that there was no point? There were a lot of people tested or offered the ring, Gandalf, Galadriel... and they all new what would happen if they excepted- Galadriel especially said that her turning down the ring was a test she passed- her final test and that she would leave midle earth....

19. Merlinsbeard81

Merlinsbeard81 Living in Calaspia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think he did go through temptation. It's not so much that he wasn't tempted, more that when tempted, he managed to resist.
    This is a) because he is purer at heart, b) he saw the destruction that it had already caused c) knew something more about it than the legends, describing it as a powerful ring (i.e. he knew that he wouldn't be able to wield it properly)

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Merlin, that's exactly what I was about to say. I'm sure Faramir, Gandalf, etc. were tempted. They simply had greater strength of will to resist it.

Probably, the only people who could manage to resist the Ring were people who were truly content with what they had. In retrospect, I'd say that Sam was not tempted by the Ring because he didn't care about power.

Search tags for this page
faramir and the ring
faramir tempted by the ring
gandalf aragorn tempted ring

was aragorn tempted by the ring

was faramir tempted by the ring
what characters were tempted by the ring
why did faramir not like war

why is faramir not tempted by the ring

why wasnt sam tempted by the ring