Why vote for them?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Theres a difference? :p

(but seriously, it was McCain)

2. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    1) something like 80% of people dont pay any attention to an election until around 2 weeks before.

2) 30% of the voting population (15% of the total population) is democrat, an equal number are republican. Those people will not vote for the other party regardless of the quality of the candidate. These 'hardcore' party adherents make up most of the 20% not included in #1

3) The campaigns are mostly entertainment. Nobody expects the candidates to be completely honest, therefore all the comments are taken with heavy grains of salt. (Like the Bush/Hitler comments, dont you think that if people actually thought Bush is like hitler there would be much more of a moral imperitive than just vote him out of office?) Its all acted well but the actions tell the truth of how tongue in cheek it's all regarded.

3. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Yeah there's a difference. Difference in terms of intellect lol! :D

4. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    because they're both still better than McCain.

5. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Better as in people are now having Rep-phobia after the Bush regime. I know because I'm one of them. But apparently, US citizens don't really care about this 'cuz last time I heard, McWar actually has a higher popularity ratings than Nobama. :S

6. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    There's your answer Azuren.

This election has been very frustrating for anyone but an Obama supporter I believe (and maybe except the McCain supporters, but I never really understood them anyway). Many Americans feel they are choosing between the lesser of two evils. Many consider that Obama's running mate, Joe Biden, was actually much more qualified than Obama or Hillary, but with all the media attention they got, he didn't have a chance.

Me? I'm one of the ones who was hoping for Ron Paul, but knew that he was never going to get it. So what do I do now? I go to votesmart.org and look at Obama and McCain's voting records. Actions speak louder than words, and when I see what they vote for, I have some concrete info about them both.

Is Obama as the family man much more attractive than McCain? Absolutely, but the squeaky clean man has been downed before (i.e. Edwards), and the truly faithful husband can sometimes not be too hot (i.e. Carter who never had any affairs that I know of).

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Okay, what is the deal with McCain's VP choice?

It instantly make him a hypocrite over calling obama on experience, especially since theres a good chance McCains VP might get promoted during his term....

The only (flawed) logic is to grab hilary supporters, but only the irrational ones who will vote for a woman without considering the issues, since McCain is against equal pay and other women's issues.

8. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    She is a real conservative (unlike McCain who is generally considered a moderate)

She has a reputation for taking on corruption, even inside her own party.

She is female

McCain has experience, its pretty extreme to call him a hypocrite because he picked a vice with different positive qualities.

Im not sure McCain equal pay for women... federal legislation forcing a false equality maybe...

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

With the level of criticism McCain has leveled against obama for lack of experience, I wouldnt say its extreme to call him a hypocrite for picking a VP with less experience than obama, especially since McCain might not even make it the full four years she may well be saddled with the big office.

10. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, on the account of hypocricy, Cruse might have a point; he's been on and on about how inexperienced Barrack is - and now he's picking up a VP very short on experience himself.

At least it should cancel out the comments to and fro about experience, with the other ticket being the other way around.

I can't help noticing, though, that by this particular choice, McCain sets himself up to be the alternative, the underdog, the other choice, as opposed to quote/unquote superstar - Obama. It might be a stroke of genius; but it's a dangerous gamble.

EDIT:

Thank you for making your own defense, Crusader; you outposted me ;)

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well next time we can tag-team....:p

but you made a good point and I really hope your right on this dropping the experience issue, there were a lot of good points in the DNC about a more fair and civil election, and hopefully McCain will reciprocate now.

Either that or hes setting a trap with this issue.

12. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    McCain looks like the typical bad guy in movies.You know...the typical wicked smile bearing guy who is a corporation president or politician...deceiving the people with fake kindness and all that grinning wickedly when the cameras are not there etc.

13. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I wish we had a say in who their president is because, judging by the last two elections, they don't know what's good for themselves or the rest of the world.