Why kids shouldn't play with swords....

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Justice, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Warning, this video shows a man cutting a pig carcass. it may be slightly disturbing. However it is not that graphic and there is no blood.

First up, I find it puzzilng they refer to this guy as a Samurai. Wearing a kimono and having a sword doesn't make you an appointed liege of the Shogunate of Japan...

Anyways, the katana he is using looks like one from the company "Last Legend". Very sharp, very durable blades. Geometry is better than the Paul Chen stuff, but polish and th quality of the fittings are a little below PC.

The pig carcass apparently has been deboned, and with good cause, dead bone is incredbly tough. Living bone is much softer and spongier than the bleached stuff you pick off the desert sand. Even the popular show "MythBusters" didn't even know that, they tested a dead, dry human bone to simulate an experiment once. I sent them an email notifying them of that, but never got a response.

Notice he is careful not to damage his sword. Just look at the size of the wound he created in the pig after the first stroke. The object of the sword fight is not to cut your opponent in half like so many Anime movies show, but instead to inflict a mortal wound that your opponent can't recover from.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Interesting, how did you even find that thing? :) What on earth kind of show gets a dude with a sword to cut through a pig?!?!?

That's some huge gashes he left in that thing. Obviously he was trying to hack it in 2, but even a lighter blow would cause an incapacitating injury to a live opponent.

My group flew Paul Wagner who an nternationally travelling historical sword workshop teacher over to Perth, and he answered the question "Can an opponent still continue their attack after being wounded first?"
    Of course adrenalin and knowing you're dead anyway cna make humans ignore massive injuries, but the example he gave in reply was of 2 guys in his group fencing with steel swords. The attacker lunged for a big overhead strike and the defender accidentally caught the attacker in the armpit with the tip of his blade. His momentum made it penetrate somewhat, and he folded faster than Superman on laundry day :)

Justice, you're the cutting guy around here. He was doing a flat sideways cut on the milk bottles which is biomechanically hard for the human body to maintain, and he left a noticeable upward curve on the 4 bottles. Did he display good, average or bad cutting technique?

3. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The guy is fairly unimpressive, at least to me. I am not looking for flash, but it seems to me he wasn't putting the proper effort into cutting it in the beginning, he seems to have flinched a bit when he realized the fight the pig was putting up. The next few strokes he seems to be just having fun with.
    Funny :D But given the situation somtimes people in non-life threatening situations act differently. They may be more reckless, or more determined. If he folded that quickly in a non deadly situation, then I guess he would have run away from the fight to begin with... :D

I'm not entirely too up to speed with JSA practitioners like this guy, but I would say it would be very hard to jugde from the milk jugs. They are very flexible and will bend somewhat before being sliced, so the cut may look off. He did look very careful before cutting the milk jugs though.

4. DeVorm of Chaos

DeVorm of Chaos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am new around here and I wanted to converse with fellow allies. I am here to find out the answer to the ultimate question what is your favorite sword?