Why is the UC Scimitar made with cardon steel?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Aragorn Elessar, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Is there any reason why the scimitar is made in carbon steel while the other swords are not? Anyone knows?

I would assume that it's more expensive to make the blades in carbon steel...

The only reasons that I can think of is that maybe because the scimitars come in a finish that's more crude than the other blades and it requires less work on them, so they could be made with more expensive carbon steel, and at the same time they do not require the grinding and polish etc as the other blades... or that maybe it's simply cheaper to get the finish (color etc) for that blade if it's made with carbon steel rather than stainless steel...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The reason that they are not made from stainless is so that it can get rusty in a short amount of time, which is the desired finish.

And just a point of information. Not all carbon steel is more expensive than stainless, on a general basis stainless is actually more expensive.

More exotic steels, such as that made for diemaking and tool steels and specific alloys that are used in specialized swordmaking CAN BE more expensive, but I can guarantee you that the Uruk does not fit into this category.

3. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so is it functional then?

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    It's a big heavy one-piece metal lump. If you hit something, it will hurt. However, even though it's carbon steel, it's only made for display, so it hasn't been properly heat treated for the rigours of actual use. A drainpipe is also a big heavy one-piece metal lump, but it's not a sword.

Can you hit things with it? Yes. In that sense, a crowbar is functional too. But neither the Uruk-Hai scimitar or the drainpipe are "functional" in terms of being a combat ready weapon in the military sense of the word.

United Cutlery do not condone the use of their items as "functional" weapons. Think of them as a painting, made of metal. It looks like a sword, but don't try swinging it around! Just hang it on your wall and admire it as a display :)

5. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks man, ya i was just kind of curious since none of there other blades would be considered functional. Im not planning on going out and lopin some heads off or anything, lol.