Why is murder wrong?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Anduril, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Now just to clarify, I'm not talking about capital punishment. I know there are different views on that but right here I am talking about murder as in the World Trade center incident or the beheadings in Iraq. Now, in some parts of this debate I may be playing the devil's advocate so I don't want anyone to think that I am on the side of the terrorists. Most people you ask on the street would say that they believe murder is wrong. Here, you have a chance to say why.

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Uh....is it just me, or is this kinda stupid ? "Why is muder wrong ?" - because your taking the life of another. How about that for a start.

3. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It depends on how you define "murder".

I define murder as killing another person for no reason. That would be inexcusable.
    Although I am not a religious person, I do believe you should "do unto others".

However, there are times when killing is necessary. I was in the military, I was prepared to kill or die if I was called upon to do so.

I would have no problem killing to defend myself, or my family. Then again, I would put my own life on the line to protect my children.

And God help (whichever one they believe in) the person that harms my children. I would make sure that they will welcome death when it comes....;)

4. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

but taking the life of another is both morally and socially acceptable in several situations including the situation sky described. What is it about humanity that requires an almost universal acceptance that 'murder' is an evil? I have to think that it is at least supported by the almost universal fear of death. That alone doesnt make it evil or even immoral, it just crosses the perceived boundary that the majority believe.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to clarify (to help better answer the question posed). Isn't your first sentence a bit broad? I think the majority of murders have a reason or motive as for why they take another life (justified or not). Perhaps 'no acceptable reason' for killing another person? (Again, I am just being picky.)

Also, out of curiousity, does anyone know what the governments exact definition of murder is? (this of course might vary between countries, but it should be similiar.)

6. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps I should be more specific. Was what the terrorists did with the World Trade centers wrong? And what makes "taking the life of another" wrong?

7. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yes Radagast, to be more clear I would say "justafiable homocide" is acceptable, which I suppose is a redundant statement. The level of justification depends on the person, I suppose, although I think that certain homocides that are considered "crimes of passion" are not acceptable.

Yes, I believe what the terrorists did was wrong.

When you are at war, one army strives to win over the other, by killing or forcing them to submit.

What the terrorists did was an act of cowardice. The targeted people were not part of an army, they were going about their business. What the terrorists did was no different than killing an innocent person by stabbing them in the back.

8. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Well, i think that taking the life of another is wrong because what gives you the right to kill someone else ? Who gave you the right to judge another and condemn them for it ?

9. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Like I said before, when it comes to protecting my wife or kids, I gave me the right.

10. aule

aule The Smithy of the Valar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good point, sky... ummm, I probably shouldn't bring God in on this debate, but here i go doing it anyway.... murder, or killing in any capacity (or even hating someone) is wrong in His eyes. True, in war, when you're in the military, it's socially acceptable and widely condoned as "right" but it still isn't, war is technically pointless because it shouldn't exist in the first place, other than for man's envy and greed.

11. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Very true, it was an act of cowardice. But let's say that instead of the Twin Towers, they flew the planes into a military base. Do you guys think that that action would have been acceptable, since it was against the army? (Similiar to Pearl Harbour...was that justified?)

Also, could one successfully argue that the attack against the Pentagon was justified because the Pentagon is apart/related to the army?

12. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    You're forgetting the fact that there were innocents on the planes.

If a frontal assault was made, it would have been less cowardly, but also less effective.

The terrorists' target was not the military, it was America and its people and economy.

13. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Ah, thats right. The passengers slipped my mind...

14. aule

aule The Smithy of the Valar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yup... it was an attempt to bring us to our knees, but did it work? I think not!

15. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that judging them?

Here's what I find to be the interesting thing.

Some people say that they define their morals on what their families and their society has taught them. But the terrorists grew up in a society that told them it was fine to do what they did. I would be rather surprised if I discovered that those terrorists' fathers disapproved of what they did. So what is it that makes what they did "wrong"?

16. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    The fact that they simply listened to what their daddies told them without thinking for themselves. They didn't think about what was being told to them, and they didn't develop ideas based on the topic. It's always better to think about the effects of what is being told to them than to blindly follow it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  17. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, they saw the "effects" as getting a bunch of virgins in heaven and furthering their cause of Islam.

18. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Jnanee, you and I have been brought up to think for ourselves. Our parents and society make a huge influence on our lives and beliefs, no different then how the Muslims are taught. Most of us would do the same if we grew up in those societies. Well, I go by the Bible, and if God says that you should not murder, then I believe it is wrong. What puzzles me is that war seems perfectly moral, although I don't see how a massacre in war is not recognised as a crime like murder is (in most places). Even so, if it would be good for humanity, I would go against my own morals and kill another human being.

19. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Murder....

To my defenition, murder is terminating a life without the specific request of the person in question. And yes, it is wrong. Everyone is gifted (as we have to assume) with one life. No more. No less. There is only one life that is ours to give or take, and that is our own. Since we cannot return what life we have taken, terminating the life of another person is as unjust as dying yourself. That life was not yours to take, and there is no way you or time can restore that error. Therefore, killing is the Principal Major crime to me, unforgivable by any standard or any mean under normal circumstances.

20. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Boadicea,
    If you don't mind my asking, why did God say murder was wrong? I have no doubt that he said it was wrong. The Bible is very clear on that by looking at the Ten Commandments for starters. But why did he say it was wrong?