Why doesnt Glamdring glow?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by amondray, Dec 24, 2003.

1. amondray

amondray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In the books gandalfs sword, Glamdring, glows when orcs are present......just like Sting does. I was wondering why in the movies Glamdring doesnt glow?

2. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In one of the commentaries on the Fellowship EE(or maybe its TTT EE?), someone says that they didn't make it glow for budget reasons. However, I cannot see the point in making thousands of CG intense shots and failing to include Glamdring's glow!

3. amondray

amondray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe that maybe they didnt do it because it would take away from the uniqeness of sting. Also perhaps because it would be glowing so much as gandalf is always around orcs, that it would have become a pain for the special effects team....

4. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Mmm, and there are no references to the unique history of Glamdring in the film (at least in the theatrical version; haven't seen EE), so having the Glamdring glow could be a bit puzzling for some viewers.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Very much so with what everyone has said so far. Esp. the part on it not making any sense.

I don't know where this information comes from, most probably some website or The Hobbit, but I recall it being said that Glamdring glows white, opposed to blue with Sting.

Now I don't know anything about special effects, but having a sword glow white most of the time seems quite tricky. It would be harder to notice, in some scenes, to noticable in others.

6. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    there are even scenes in the fellowship when sting ain't glowing, check it out in moria the hole time frodo is playing hide and go seek with the troll, sting is not glowing and there are orcs all over the place.

7. amondray

amondray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes i have noticed this before

8. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I mean it would be a MASSIVE pain to have to make Glamdring glow in EVERY shot of Gandalf on the walls, in the courtyard, at the black gate, etc. It would just be too difficult. Also probably because they didn't have time to explain that Sting and Glamdring came from the same Troll-hoard(all though they could have made time).

9. Aiglos

Aiglos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another thing I have noticed is that, if my memory serves me correctly, Sting (which is really a knife) should glow only around the edges, while the powerful Glamdring, originally wielded by Turgon of Gondolin, should have the whole blade, not just the edges, glow, making it much more eye-catching than Sting ever would have been.

This :dmonkey: had no point, though. It just looked cool.

10. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    According to my memory: Glamdring only has a small white glow, but sting however has a dark blue glow. O and in Moria when Leglas throws the two axes to Boromir, Both of thoses axes aould be way to big for a dwarf.

-dt

P>S>I wonder what (sorry if spelled wrong)--> ORISIST would look like?

11. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I always imagined it similiar to Glamdring, just with minor difference's, and a tad bit shorter. But I guess thats up to the readers imagination.

12. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Well, according to the commercials run here in Canada, the official choice of battery used in the remote locations of New Zealand by the film crew of Lord of the Rings was Duracell.

Unfortunately, Gandalf has an exclusivity clause in his contract with Energizer, thus, after a brief work stoppage and some script reworking, no glow on Glamdring...;)

13. Aiglos

Aiglos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, you're right about the color. Glamdring "shone with a pale light" and is often described as white. However, it is true that the entire blade glowed, whereas Sting, though I can not find an account of it's color being described, would only have glowed along the edges.

14. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ROFL that's definately the best explanation yet!

15. Jagar

Jagar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In The Hobbit, after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin under the Misty Mountains, Glamdring is described as follows: "It burned with a rage that made it gleam if goblins were about; now it was bright as blue flame for delight in the killing of the great lord of the cave." It'll be interesting to see, if PJ does get the chance to do The Hobbit, if they make Glamdring glow in it. The fact it and Orcrist glow help make those scenes. The goblins have no doubt what swords they are facing because of it, and this helps to drive their fear.

16. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, I too remember for some reason that Glamdring glowed white. But now, after that quote Jagar gave (thanks) I'm thinking that it might be one of those cases where the film influneces the way you imagine things (I mean Gandalf's staff glows white in the movie, so I imagine Glamdring the same way).

By the way, does anyone know where is Orcrist from? I mean, besides being of Elvish origin?

17. Jagar

Jagar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In The Hobbit, Elrond says it was made for the Goblin Wars and is from Gondolin. He mentions it as being a famous blade, but I don't know who used it. I haven't read either of the Book of Lost Tales, yet, so I don't know if that sword is mentioned in either of those.

18. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I see. Thanks.

Anywayss. Closer to the topic. I went and skipped through the Moria scenes in the book, and as far as I could tell Sting's glowing wasn't mentioned at all in that part. I didn't find any references about Glamdring glowing during the fight with the Orcs either.

The sword is not described until "The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in fis left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white." So, it seems that:

1. Glamdring appears to be glowing white in some situations and blue in others.
    2. The Moria scenes in the film were pretty close to the book when it concerns Glamdring - it doesn't glow until Gandalf faces the Balrog.

19. amondray

amondray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So glamdring glows too different colors......very interesting. Also can anybody find where it metions sting glows blue only around the edges, i havent been able to find this.

20. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I can't vouch for what it always looks like, but I know that sometimes...

*reaches for the book*

"... he took the Phial in his left hand, and with his right hand drew his sword. Sting flashed out, and the sharp elven-blade sparkled in the silver light, but at it's edges a blue fire flicked."
    (TTT, Shelob's Lair)

The blue glowing sword in the film was a practical joke played by the Star Wars prop team... ;)

Search tags for this page

does glamdring glow

glamdring lord of the rings movie glow
glamdring shone
should glamdring glow
why does glamdring not glow
why doesnt glamdring glow blue