Why Does Dumbledore trust Snape?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Nienor, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    It's a proven fact that Snape was a death-eater, responsible for who knows what reprehensible acts. Yet, Dumbledore trusts him. He believes that Snape had mended his ways and is loyal to him.

What kind of act could make Dumbledore so sure of this. Anyone want to speculate?

2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    This is clearly one of the biggest mysteries in the HP series....

We know that he spyed on the death eaters or Dumbledore & Co. the first time around...but that could have only been to save his own skin....there would have to be something else for Dumbledore to really trust him. It is also interesting how Snape favors Malfoy when he knows who his father is....I think this may be revealed in the next book (I hope).

3. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    True. You'd think if Snape truly changed sides. He'd be a little more supportive of Harry. Mean as Snape is to most of the students, he's downright awful to Harry.

And knowing what he does about the Malfoy family, I don't understand why he's so supportive of Draco. He should want nothing at all to do with that family.

4. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I think the awfullness towards Harry stems from his feelings towards Harry's father (remember the pensieve?). I often wonder is the favoritism towards Draco is some kind of front. If Snape is going to try and get back in with the death eaters to spy on them, he better start being nice to their kids. Keep your friends close and enemies closer ;)

Also- don't forget that Snape was trying to save Harry in the first book at the Quidditch match. I think there's more to Snape than meets the eye....

5. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup, I agree. I almost expect to find out that Snape has always been a "spy" for the Order of the Phoenix - and that this has all been a front.

6. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    ooo.. Good thought, Arwen.

Snape is more than old enough to have gotten over his problems with James Potter. While I don't think he hates Harry enough to see him dead, he could treat him just a little nicer. y'know, like a person or something.

I don't think that Snape has always been a spy for the order. He has the Death Eater's tatoo on his arm. I think he was in it pretty deep before he saw his mistake. The whole situation probably turned out much worse than he originally thought before he defected to the other side.

It's possible he's nice to Draco, in hopes of keeping him from making the same mistakes. Maybe if he does well in school with encouragement, he could do a little better in life than his father.

7. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Some people never get over old grudges....

I think it's possible that Snape was always a spy for the order, but its hard to say- that would certainly make Dumbledore trust him more. I think Snape is one of the most fascinating characters in the HP books.

I don't think thats why he's nice to Draco. Afterall he never discourages his bad behavior.

8. mithrandir

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think part of Snapes attitude towards Draco comes from his issues with James Potter. Draco is able to stand up to and push around Harry - something Snape could not (or would not?) do with James. So Snape "lives through" Draco in this respect - a chance to return some of the embarassment back on the Potter family.

I agree with Arwen that Snape is perhaps the most fascinating character in the books. He seems both incredibly shallow and vindictive, and yet also very thoughtful and careful in what he says/does. I keep hoping he'll play more an active role as the series progresses.

9. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    That's also an excellent point...I could see that being part of his reasoning too.

I also hope Snape plays a bigger role in the books to come...

10. mithrandir

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, what I'd really like to see is a full blown showdown between Harry and Snape where both vent their full dislike for one another in a magic duel. It'll never happen, but it'd sure make a good read.:banana:

11. ElvenArcher

ElvenArcher New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be funny :ufo: :dmonkey: :monkeyass :eatshit: :D :tool: :cake: :321: :humper:

12. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Who's to say that wouldn't happen. Off Hogwarts grounds, OFC. I'd imagine they're going to get into some sort of arguement where Snape admits why he hates Harry & his family so much.

13. Agent_Sypher

Agent_Sypher Holy Knight of Oblivion

*looks at map* ....erm, I guess I'm---LOST! Mommy!
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Y'know, it might be true or if so, he might be doing it to prove himself to still be loyal to the deatheaters even though he's already not.

But about Dumbledore's trust in Snape...I dunno I always guess that Dumbledore's got psychic powers of some sort like he can read minds and feelings. *shrugs*

14. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I would assume Dumbledore is skilled in occumancy, so he can to a degree read Snape's thoughts. But Snape is skilled in that branch of magic also. I would imagine he'd be able to block any intrusions in his mind.

15. Sabishii

Sabishii Sindarin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dumbledore is confident that Snape will protect Harry because James saved Snape once, right? So it's like repaying a favor.

16. Devious

Devious New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even though James saved snape, wasn't it James and his friends fault that Snapes life was in danger anyway

17. celebdraug

celebdraug Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bumbledore :0 i mean Dumbledore is an old guy and trust all! he aint picky like you and me! :p

18. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Maybe Snape saved Dumbledore's life once so that's why Dumbledore likes him and trusts him

19. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I don't think Albus trusts Snape totally; I mean the position of DATBA teacher has been open for like, 6 times or something and Sirius would have accepted the job without one thought.
    I think Snape joined the Death Eaters just to be part of something. Snape would have been very lonely at school according to OoTP. He acted as if Voldemort had gained total control over him, but his occlumancy prevented him from the corruption the most Death Eaters underwent. When Albus found him and discovered that Snape wasn't under his master's sway, he used him as a spy and offered him in return a safe and respected place as a teacher. For some reason though, Dunbledore wants to keep him away from the Dark Arts, possibly because he was too eager for it, back when he was a student.
    As for Harry, I think Snape is still easily overrun by someone with "much power". Sure, Snape would at least know something about the prophecy and thus realise the danger of Harry, especially knowing his father... He has to keep Harry short, just to protect himself at least that is what he thinks.
    Alternatively, Albus teached Snape occlumancy when he was a Death Eater and therefore he owes Albus his freedom. Because Snape was a known Death Rater, he couldn't get another job, so Albus "adopted" him to his staff, like he has done to Hagrid.

20. Mumtazb

Mumtazb Orcs Bane

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I thought there was only one book left to be released...is that not right?

Search tags for this page

why does dumbledore trust snape