Why do we all complain about rat-tail?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by tharkun, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Amindil

Amindil New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd imagine its ok, I've swung my Ranger Sword around a few times, and I'll admit to slicing a cardboard box in half. I am however waiting for my Uruk-Hai Sword instead of using my Ranger Sword to seek revenge on those boxes.

P.S

I, HATE Weaving Chain Mail!

2. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Are all of the UC TLOTR tangs threaded for the pommel? I don't think twisting would be a good idea on UC1298 Hadhafang, and it wouldn't look very good at all on UC1267 Narsil. Yes, UC1299 Strider's sword is absolutely fine for it, but what about the ones that would end up looking crooked?

3. Witchking

Witchking Undead Ringer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well you can't do it with Hadhafang, obviously, but you can't twist the WK pommel far enough for it to be noticeable. Narsil probably would look crooked, but it all depends on how far you twist it.

4. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I gotta admit, when it comes to these swords, I could be called a perfectionist. Not to some enormous extreme, but I would notice if UC1265 Glamdring's pommel was crooked, much more so if UC1267 Narsil's was. It has that "line of symmetry" to it that UC1299 Strider's sword doesn't have.

5. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. tharkun

tharkun coraxion

Netherlands and between heaven and (middle)earth
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the pic yasmar

7. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the pic, Yasmar.

It's disheartening to say the least. :/

8. Andreas M.

Andreas M. New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

here are some more pictures of the Glamdring-tang. I think you can comprehend that I don't take the sword from the wall very often anymore. The part of the tang that is to a certain extent in touch with the hilt (with a sleeve of the crossbar in between) is not even 1 inch long (red marking). Of course this inch can't provide anything to the stability of the sword. This stability is achieved only by the pressure onto the rims of the metall hilt provided by a tightly screwed on pommel. As a result of this pressure you can see that the leather of the hilt is partly squashed in this area (green markings).

I would hope that others could provide pictures of tangs of the other LOTR-Swords. I expect that all swords (apart from Hadhafang, Sting, Scimitar) could be dismantled by simply screwing off the pommel.

Attached Files:

9. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the clearer pics, Andreas. Nice close-up detail. I think you're probably right about the other swords being dismountable, but my Witchking and Ranger swords' pommels won't budge. Only my Glamdring came loose; I don't know why. I didn't see any signs of glue in the Glamdring hilt, so I don't know why I can't unscrew my other two sword pommels...

10. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm too scared to try!:( BTW, if you disassemble the hilt and put it back together again, does the pommel end up crooked? If so, can you put washers or something in there so that once it is screwed on tightly, it won't be crooked?
    WARNING! I have a cheap non-UC knock-off Glamdring built the same way, except for the part of the tang with the hole in it that UC1265 has. The part of the blade that you can see stops abruptly and goes into the thin rod threaded at the end. I was tightening the pommel one day (as tight as I could, of course) only to find that the pressure had taken the entire tang off of the blade! Maybe I should weld it back together... I do not know what kind of metal it is made of, but it is definitely weaker than the 420J2 that UC uses, so you should be safe(I hope!). This imitation Glamdring has ¼"-20 thread; what does UC1265 have?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  11. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Glamdring pommel goes on straight again when I put it back together. It starts getting tight just before the central pommel ridge is in line with the central grip ridge, and cranking it just enough to get it in line makes it quite tight. I could crank the sh*t out of it and go too far if I tried, but there is no need to make it overtight like that. As far as measuring the threads, I don't know threads are measured. What are you actually measuring? The number of threads that pass in a 1/4 inch? If so, it couldn't be 20...

12. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    "¼" applies to diameter of the "threaded rod". "20" applies to threads per inch. ¼"-20 is also pronounced "quarter twenty".

13. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, ok. Thanks. I can't check mine right now though (it's in the other room where a friend is asleep). Sorry...

14. MirkwoodsPrince

MirkwoodsPrince New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's explained a lot about tangs....I always wondered was inside the handle of a sword

15. SciFi-ActionMan

SciFi-ActionMan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have the link to that video people mention about the guy banging the sword on the table only to have it break and come back to hit him? I've tried searching for it to no avail.

16. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    bleh, I went looking for the link, but the forum search didn't work, and at page 20, I had only come to new year :(

Search tags for this page

forge-welding sword tang

glamdring disassembly

glamdring pommel measurement

how to make a rattail sword sturdy