Why do people hate twilight?

Discussion in 'Twilight' started by AmyLynn, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    It's a bit silly to hate someone who hates something you like, I don't think anyone here is like that, or I hope not cause it's just needless.

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I thought people liked Transformers for three reasons:

1) Robots
    2) Explosions
    3) Megan Fox.

Or the first two reasons were why I liked it anyway. ;P

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Shia La Bouf isn't a geek boy. He was foking hilarious; just an average dude.

4. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Shia isn't a geek boy, but his character was lol A big one! :p

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I saw the film again cause I missed a great part of it because I fell asleep (not because I was bored because of the film, I was just tired) and well... The acting is a bit over the top imo. It was entertaining to say the least. The story in the film was a bit weak, missed depth. And the characters missed depth too in the movie. Things went a little too fast. How she immediately finds out he's a vampire and such. How fast they get together etc... But I guess there was just too much info in the book to put in a two hour movie, which is the same problem The Golden Compass suffered. Things got rushed. Also I think some details that were changed about the vampires to make them more "interesting" were stupid. Such as their appearance changing in the sunlight. You would expect that he subtly changes into a monster, but instead his skin shines as if he has glitter all over his body to make him look 'pretty'. Like I said I can only judge the film as I have not read the book... I just hope the book is a LOT better than the film otherwise the book would also be a disappointment for others to read.

6. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Nah, he's far from a geek. Geek's don't have a good sense of humour when it comes to randomly dangerous situations. There were no real indicators making him out to be a geek.

7. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I agree with pretty much everything you said. Like I said, the film was not as bad as I'd heard but also not as good as I'd heard from others. Merely a teen vampire movie. I hope the book is better too but I don't have plans to read it.

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    He may be cool from a geek's point of view, but he's still a geek! lol It's the same with Matrix, you have this computer geek who becomes the most important person in existence, blah blah, same old story, becomes uber cool, fighting etc. It's a geek's dream come true, and so is Transformers lol

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I like transformers but it's true... The geek becomes the hero, however that's the case in a lot of movies, not just transformers or the matrix.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I'm still not seeing how he's a geek not to mention he becomes far from the most important person in existence. In fact a random cube was more important than him.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Common the way he acts around other teenagers, so shy, so nervous. His nickname on ebay. It's the classic tale of how the geek gets the pretty girl...

12. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    The fact you can't see he's a geek is worrying :S It's blatantly obvious, and it's supposed to be the whole point, I think it's even mentioned in the making of.

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    So shy? so nervous? Lol? The fact he can crack jokes in the face of imminent doom hardly makes him shy. Plus his mannerisms and speech indicate otherwise. Only the short time where a much bigger dude seemed agressive towards him indicated nervousness, which again wasn't all that much of a geek response.

He's a pretty average teenager with his own unique personality, nothing labelling him as a geek. Geeks are people are "overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc."

14. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    lol It's pretty interesting how you defend this. I make one comment and boom lol He is shy and jittery, he's socially not accepted, hence him wanting to get the cool car etc etc to improve his status. He's a geek, aka not a normal teen, but I'm not saying it's bad he isn't. It is an observation about the film many have made. Just as I'm making the observation that Twilight has the same effect for teenage girls who are outsider types. Anyway, I merely was making a COMMENT in comparison with Transformers, this isn't the transformers thread so let's put geeky Witwicky talk elsewhere lol

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    What normal teen doesn't want to get a cool car or improve his status? Most do. Again, there are no indicators he is a geek. You're chucking the wrong stereotype on the character.

I'm not defending this. I'm showing you where you're wrong.

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Right that's why this has been going on for more than a page...

And for your information... I didn't necessarily wanted a car when I was a teen cause I was already accepted in my community.... I would want a car for the right reason. To travel on my own to distances I couldn't go to... Not to impress girls... That's attention seeking.. A typical trait of geeks actually... And you're doing the same right now actually now which is disturbing lol.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  17. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    *taps fingers* Think what you like, but you'll find that I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this. Even the makers said this! lol So blame them, not moi lol

Anyway, this ain't the Transformers thread Met, this is twilight! If you want to think a geek isn't a geek then on you go, I'm not stopping you lol It has little relevance to what I was talking about which was..... Twilight! lol

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It's taking time to show the error.

Yea, that's just you, but many other teens do it that aren't geeks. Take the jocks and popular kids for example. Attention seeking is not a trait solely for geeks. I'm not attention seeking otherwise I would have called in other members to the point at hand. You brought in Transformers as a subject of "evidence" to support a statement. I'm disagreeing with that statement and hence may or may not undermine your statement,

Well then the makers failed in portraying him as a geek. Einstein was also wrong when he believed his initial nuclear fission theory was incorrect. Just because the "maker" says something, doesn't mean they are correct.

It does seem evident you're not actually providing actual points that indicate what a geek is. It's a person obsessed with things like technology, especially computing or their studies.

Granted he's weird, but not really a geek.

19. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yeah sure, whatever... I'm getting to old for this lol. Shia is cool... Right... Now get back to Twilight... I think the evidence in this case the comparison between the typical geek and the outcast has served its purpose so I think we can move on.

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Aslong as you concede the point I am satisfied. You have done so, so all is done.

Search tags for this page

traits of people who like twilight books