Why do people hate twilight?

Discussion in 'Twilight' started by AmyLynn, Mar 20, 2009.

1. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Is it because some publisher liked the books enough to take em on? Is it because they are so popular? I really don't understand why so many people have to hate on her books or any book at all for that matter. Just because some didn't like the book doesn't mean its bad it just means it isn't their type of book. If anything giver her some credit. She wrote 4 and a half books based on a dream she had. Those books blew up and became popular. She has talent.

2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Because they're too popular: anything popular is bound to get some sort of criticism.

The Fans: OMFG IT'S EDWARD!

It is seen as an insult to vampires: The sparkling, the lack of coffins and fangs.. the humanity... The Twilight vampires are seen as being contradictory to Vampires, and some people think that everything should be identical to the original.

Obviously, the first point isn't worth taking stock in.

The Second Point: nearly every series as popular as Twilight has those fangirls and guys who go extremely overboard. This certainly doesn't mean that all readers are like that. It's not a good point at all, even if 99.9% of the fans are like that. It doesn't mean the writer or the book is bad.

The Third: Is ludicrous. The whole Vampires in coffins thing was added by some author or another to give vampire-hunters a way to kill Vampires. The exploding in the light was added when a movie was made so that they wouldn't be sued for using the idea of vampires. They wanted something original. In other words- they didn't originally have these traits. Meaning... adding stuff is normal. It's to be expected that the author makes some changes.

So yeah, that's why some people don't like Twilight and why their ideas mean nothing.

3. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Actually Kakashi, you're wrong. Here's the reasons I hate Twilight:

1. Stephenie Meyer a horrible writer. It's immature and poorly constructed, and that's talking about the writing itself, not the story. And her characters are all one dimensional and utterly predictable.

2. It's an insult to the idea of a vampire. Not the whole changing the traits thing, the original twist on their powers/weaknesses isn't an instantly bad thing at all. It's the making them nice and more humanized and teenage angsty. They're supposed to be perversions of humans, corrupted versions of humanity. And she kind of didn't do that.

3. The relationship between the main characters promotes spousal abuse and shoves sexual tension down the throats of adolescent girls (the target demographic). All of the "I might kill you" and the actual physical abuse is NOT the message that should be sent to young girls, or anyone at all for that matter, about how a relationship should work.

So yeah, there are legitimate reasons to hate Twilight. :)

4. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Wow. back the train up. I am a crazy over the top obsessed twilight fan. I LOVE vampires. It was so nice to see someone change it up and make them "nice" I wish there were vampires like the Cullens. that would rock! My point is, Jorick, Why hate any book at all just because you think its "bad" that is like someone saying they don't like you because you have a J in your name. Any Book is good as long as it gets people to read. The "sexual tension" is already forced down young girls throats. If not by books then by t.v. or then by their peers. I've had a 13 yr old ask me to do things that I honestly didn't think 13 year olds knew about! How is the main relationship between characters spousal abuse? where does he ever hit her? I honestly think people only hate those books because they are jealous about all the money those books have brought it. Does liking those books make me immature?

5. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    An opinion.

Like I said- what's wrong with changing an idea :confused:
    I thought originality was supposed to be a good thing.

lol? You obviously didn't read/understand the book if you're saying that.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I haven't read the books but from reactions and experiences that I had from friends who saw the film (I'm not speaking of the book) I do get the vibe that especially hormones drew the audience to this film, not really the story of the film. Was the film a good adaption of the book? I surely got the impression that film was not bad, but still overrated.

7. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    haha I like this kakashi person (sorry dont know if ur a guy or girl) least she has an idea bout whats original!

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    He's a guy;) Though I had my doubts too sometimes:D

9. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Didn't see the movie. I heard it was low-budget.

I'm sure it was the hormones that drove them to the movie, though. I'm not denying that.

10. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    lol of course hormones drew ppl to the movie. Robert Pattinson(Edward), Kellun Lutz (Emmett) and Taylor Lautner(Jacob) have got to be some of THE hottest guys to walk the planet *drool* lol

11. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    If by hottest guys you mean so effeminite they could actually be women in disguise then sure why not, I've heard some people are into that.

12. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    oh no...those are real men...Really hot MEN. with Really hot bodies. Don't be jealous

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I've never been jealous. I just don't think being flaunting androgynous qualities makes you a "real man".

14. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey they've got it let em flaunt it. If ur a guy then i wouldnt expect you to like them unless you were a homosexual and i bet you wouldnt complain if some super hot chick was up there flaunting her crap

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Their flaunting the wrong thing lol

Leave it to the women to flaunt femininity.

16. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Well, I hate it because it's bad. :)

Also, no, it just means your taste in books is not the same as mine.

To the first two, yep, totally a personal opinion on my part, and I'll own up to it. Specifically to the second, originality is good until the point that it seems stupid to the reader. That turns it from original to trash, albeit only to that specific reader (i.e. me).

And to the last one, you're correct there as well. I was basing it off of a lot of secondhand knowledge from friends, critics, and various forums/article read online. I read the first three pages of Twilight and threw it away as rubbish. So if I got something wrong about it, pay no mind to the uninformed hater (i.e. me.. again).

Just thought I'd give an answer to the question, although I guess they were satisfactory to the interested parties. :p

17. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    they dont flaunt anything feminine. theres nothing girly about them. pure sexiness.

18. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry, I hate on things I'm uninformed about as well

It's human nature :D

19. AmyLynn

AmyLynn New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    lol i like this kid

20. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Haha, point taken.

By the way, nice Watchmen picture and banner. Loved the movie and am currently trying to get the comics to read.

Search tags for this page

traits of people who like twilight books